Turning a totaled out dirt track Datsun into a Hot Rod.(starting on page 15)

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

haveing Sidedrafts and a down draft is like night and day. But starting from a stop is worse.

I thought you had a limitations thats why you didnt start with the sidedrafts in the first place.

I would have started with a L20 motor if they let you.

rev up faster?

You could try smaller tires??????

YOu think you can go up to 7500 in 3rd gear?

there just a certain point where the air mass isnt going to move on such a small carb set up. Might be able to pull it off in 1st 2nd gear but thats it Im thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

This was an off week, it was "World of Outlaws Late models" weekend. My regular season ended two weeks ago, this coming weekend is the sportsman fall nationals night. It's a "stock" cars this weekend then we shut down till around late March.

Well, I went out to the garage today and did a little work on the ol' Race wagon....

Nothing to serious, but I pulled off the Edelbrock intake manifold and the Weber 40DFAV-1 carb and then I installed my modified L20B intake and my new Weber 38DGES "Outlaw" carb.

After a little tuning it's really running good, I won't really be able to tell if it's any faster or slower till I get it on the track, but I can say that it seems to revs up much smoother and faster than it did with the Weber 40DFAV. I also put an adapter plate on top of the carb to allow me to run a traditional 4BBL style round air filter assembly, so I bought a 9" round Spector brand filter with a K&N style cleanable filter. I'm really liking it so far, now I just gotta go race it this Saturday and hopefully kick a lil' Neon ass. Keep your fingers crossed. :thumbup: This is our biggest and last race of the year, although it doesn't count towards our points.

As always, here's a pic, because otherwise it didn't happen. :rofl:

RaceWagonEngine.jpg

Looks really good.

I've been following this thread for a while now bud and I have to say that the car has really come along way even though their has been ups and downs, over all I think the season was a huge success in terms of learning the car and finding options for improvement.

Make sure you get some vids of the race, me and my kids watch them on my tv and it's pretty much the only times I use my pc instead of my phone for ratsun.

We're big fans and we are totally rooting for you this weekend bro, now go kill a neon and leave the season happy and excited for next year.

Well, I put an L20B together last night, I must be nuts, but I put a $1300 head on a $25 motor. The bearings looked good and the cylinders looked decent, so I figured screw it. Anyway, here's some photos ( this head can also be seen under my head question page.

L20Bengine001.jpg

KA oil pump

L20Bengine009.jpg

L20Bengine007.jpg

L20Bengine010.jpg

It's ugly and filthy looking, but I figured screw it, it's suppose to be temporary and I didn't wanna spend an entire day on cleaning. This should yield somewhere around 175HP according to Ron at ISKY cams, maybe a little more.

just reading through your post

on an l series the power is made in the head the l20 is a huge improvement on power

Sorry for the delay, I've been working crazy hours lately and just haven't had any time. I have a heat race video, but the rest didn't turn out, my battery kept going dead on me, due to it getting cold Saturday night. I'll upload the incar heat race video soon. I did finish 18th out of 30 cars that showed up Saturday night though. I bet i'd of finished even higher with a little tuning and jetting of the new weber carb.