Turning a totaled out dirt track Datsun into a Hot Rod.(starting on page 15)

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The car was faster, so I had to relearn the car a little and we ran hot laps earlier in the class rotation this week so the track was wetter and slicker than usual for me. I changed my right front tire to a wider one when I raced and that helped in the turns. I need to find some wider rear tires now too, because with the new found horsepower I'm spinning the rear tires a lot going through the turns and when i start going into the strait aways.

I wish I could of posted the semi-finals race (my camera died), because I started dead last in a 12 car field, fought my way up to fourth, then I spun the car out fighting for third, caused a caution with two laps to go, had to restart last and made it back up to seventh in those two laps, earning the last position to race in the feature (finals) race. I was thrilled with the way the car ran. It was awesome to finally feel like the car was getting competitive. I can't wait to see how it does next year, especially if I can learn how to tune the side draft carbs I just bought. :devil:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a sad sad day in Datsunville..... I'm 90% sure this car got totaled tonight. I'm going to have a friend look it over, but i'm probably going to be better off transferring everything to a "new" body/chassis. :( pics and vidz coming soon. He car behind me shoved me head on into the outside wall. My right front wheel is smashed flat against the fire wall and the frame is bent up like an accordian. :(

if thats the case its a uni-body , and it will not buff out .. once that lower body rail is  bent ...welp not even a legit frame straightener  can fix it, where it might get it close enough to drive it will never sit/drive right again ...bummer

Time for a tube frame!

It was a legit bump from an inexperienced newby. My car got loose in turn 4 and I let off to staighten it out and just as I was about to straighten out he bumped my left rear corner and spun me to the right and into the wall at around 45mph.

I'm planning a short trip to go look at a "donor body" this week, apparently someone fairly close has several of the mid-seventies 510's sitting in a farmers field, so I'm gonna go check em' out and just swap everything over from the wagon to the new car (if they aren't all cancer)... Engine, trans, cage, struts and rear axle (if they swap over).

It shouldn't be to bad, as I would of had to pull the drivetrain out of the car, just to try and fix the wrecked car and the cage is a pretty easy swap, The second gen 510 is still an L series drivetrain, so everything should bolt right up. :thumbup:  I think the second gen cars have a slightly wider wheel base (i may be wrong) which would make em' drive better on an oval track. The lack of IRS isn't much of big deal to me, since the wagon never had it to start with.

sorry about that man ... Is the tube frame a realistic option for you ?? that could be great I think :)

I just don't have the fab skills to do it right and it would probably be illegal at my track anyway.

this car had a good 3 seasons of racing and started a fourth. Most of this car will live on in a new race car and to be honest this car was BEAT to death after 3 years on a track. Most cars barely make it more than a season or two.

I'll post more pics when I tear down the car. :(

Yeah that was a tough car to drive back to the pits and onto the trailer.

I envisioned more damage, I was expecting to see the wheel shoved up by the firewall, are you sure the damage isn't just sheet metal damage, I understand there was a lot of sheet metal damage, but was the upper strut moved?

The wheel is against the firewall and the strut mount is twisted in about 6 inches.

The only way to fix this is to sawzall everything on the right front corner and fab up a frame rail and brace the hell outta the strut tower after pushing it back out. This is no easy fix :(