Turning a totaled out dirt track Datsun into a Hot Rod.(starting on page 15)

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had one of my 510 mini stocks pulled back in place, by a local frame shop, was very cheap price qoute, and then he did it for free, well i have to run a sticker on his car, maybe that would be an option for you?

If I get it fixed i'm going to be looking for some"donor" parts.... Radiator, slightly damaged grill and head light trim, so I can make it nice again. :)

I could put a nice ratsun.net decal on it and peoples names for the support. :)

Thats good news. If you can reinforce, to me that means hidden tube frame.

We used to split the front clip open drill a bunch of 3/8 holes in the clip put in 2x2 tubing and weld it back up.

Bondo and paint.

The tubing extended into the passenger tub area and tied into the cage.

Then redrill the idler arm and steering box holes for a more advantagous location.

Just could never quite get it back in the stock location...LOL

Anyhow good luck

Love watching the videos.

Dan.

It's at the frame shop, he says he can fix the frame and strut tower damage "no problem" . He says he's going to fix it tonight and I should have it back tomorrow. He's going to plate the frame and reinforce everything to, so it doesn't flex back out of straight. All for no charge, just decal the car up for him. :) :) :) :) :)

• Like 1

It's at the frame shop, he says he can fix the frame and strut tower damage "no problem" . He says he's going to fix it tonight and I should have it back tomorrow. He's going to plate the frame and reinforce everything to, so it doesn't flex back out of straight. All for no charge, just decal the car up for him. :) :) :) :) :)

Wow, major bail out, major decal??? Do the guy right, it would be a major pain in the ass to transfer everything over to another rig, and it doesn't need to be perfect, as if it was me, it would get dented up right away doing some legal newbie bumping. <_<   :hmm:  :sleep:  ^_^  :D  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Wow, major bail out, major decal??? Do the guy right, it would be a major pain in the ass to transfer everything over to another rig, and it doesn't need to be perfect, as if it was me, it would get dented up right away doing some legal newbie bumping. <_<   :hmm:  :sleep:  ^_^  :D  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

This. 

I would make a pretty decent sized decal for the shop and run it. Hes doing you a ginormous favor. Frame straightening isnt cheap most the time and it would be a bigger pain to switch everything to a new car. Its only a sticker on your part... make it nice. 

I'm actually planning to decal the big lexan rear windows for him and then all the way down the rocker panel, where my website address usually is. Probably a whole new paint scheme. I' ve enjoyed the BRE look, but it's wore out, cracked, scuffed, and starting to peel. I have a new look in mind already that should look great. I think i'm more excited to get this car fixed and rebuilt than I was when I built it to start with. :)

• Like 2

Does anyone know if a set of R180 3.36 rear end gears will bolt into an H190 rear end? I'd like to try running 2nd gear in the race wagon, but I need 3.36 gears to do it. Or is there another rear that has something with high gears close to 3.00 that will fit?

Does anyone know if a set of R180 3.36 rear end gears will bolt into an H190 rear end? I'd like to try running 2nd gear in the race wagon, but I need 3.36 gears to do it.

They made 330 something gears for the H190, but starting out can be a bitch, especially with an L16, ya got to have grunt(torque), I am running 350 somethings in my 521 KC diesel, but I have torque.

They made 330 something gears for the H190, but starting out can be a bitch, especially with an L16, ya got to have grunt(torque), I am running 350 somethings in my 521 KC diesel, but I have torque.

We race from a rolling start, I want to be able to start in first and shift straight back to 2nd. What did the 330 gears come in?

Awesome. Now you can remove the R.I.P. tag right? Glad to see this thread alive again.

Yeah... As soon as I have my computer back. My girlfriend has it and she's outta town. I'm on my cell phone browser for now.

trying to get a better idea why yours is such an easy fix compared to what ive been told with mine.

Were your frame rails all twisted? Mine look like snakes

A pillars twitsted?

Firewall/framerail pushed back?

B pillars still attached?

roof bowed?

doors sag a couple inches when you open them?

My guess is that the difference is his car is a dirt track racer and the standards are not as high as on a street car. This goon has a lot of battle scars and as long as it's pulled close to stock it will get the job done. Nobody is going to question his door gap (I think they're welded shut).

• Like 1

Does anyone know if a set of R180 3.36 rear end gears will bolt into an H190 rear end? I'd like to try running 2nd gear in the race wagon, but I need 3.36 gears to do it. Or is there another rear that has something with high gears close to 3.00 that will fit?

How long is the track you run on?  I run a 1/4 mile and a "larger" 1/4 mile we go from a rolling start, i use 2nd to start and just leave it in second, i run a 3.90 on the smaller, and a 3.70 on the larger, and then are small indoor winter track, I run a 4.44, i think that track is 1/8 mile, maybe smaller and I am running a 205/60/13 on the outside, and a 195/60/13 on the inside, with the diff welded, both of those tires are on a 8" wheel

trying to get a better idea why yours is such an easy fix compared to what ive been told with mine.

Were your frame rails all twisted? Mine look like snakes

A pillars twitsted?

Firewall/framerail pushed back?

B pillars still attached?

roof bowed?

doors sag a couple inches when you open them?

I just got lucky and found a good frame guy. Also I have no doors, I have alluminum panels painted up and creased to look like doors.

I run 1/3 mile in third and i'm turning around 7200 rpm in the straits. I'm running 175/70 r13's in the rear.

As far as my gearing goes, i'm running 4.88 rear end gears. Multiply that by 1.312 (3rd gear) and my final ratio is 6.4'

With a 3.36 rear end and multiply that by 2.013 (2nd gear) my final ratio will be 6.77, which is almost perfect for my track and a 1st to 2nd shift is much faster than a 2nd to third, when i'm bouncing around on the track. :)

this should put my motor at about 7600 rpm in the straits which is right at peak power on this motor set up.

• 2 weeks later...