Turning a totaled out dirt track Datsun into a Hot Rod.(starting on page 15)

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Dirttrack510 said:

Wayno, very cool. That one is more of a rat rod, but neat none the less. Mine is going to be a full finished, nice paint job traditional style hot rod, but Datto powered.

I posted the photo because it was L block powered, no other reason other than that, that rat rod shows up at the Blue Lake Datsun show every year.

8 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Saw this a few years ago. There's a good reason it's called a firewall.

That's down right scary. That barely counts as a barrier between you and the engine compartment. 

Them old vehicles had a lot of wood in them, it was what held them together, wood held the seats in place in the MGTD, the seat was wood with foam and leather stapled onto it.

As I recall the firewall was a thin sheet of metal held in place with wood, the firewall metal and the cab metal didn't even touch each other, there was 2" of wood between them across the top and down the sides with this mini roll bar under the dash to keep the cab/hood/firewall from losing it shape, the only thing protecting you was how defensively you drove

• Like 1

Yeah, I realize that Wayno. The entire firewall wasn't wood though, plus the cars weren't cruising down the road at 70mph with the guy going the other direction texting and driving. I actually have owned several 1920's Model T's and  28-31 Model A's, but most people do away with the wood and replace it with steel now, because it's stronger and safer, plus you can't weld wood 🙂

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well,  it's it's been a long hot day (98 degrees with high humidity), but the front of the frame is built and I'm getting started on test fitting the body. 

20200811_003643.jpg

Edited by Dirttrack510
  • Like 3
  • 7 months later...
9 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Sorry if I missed this, but is that a Jag IRS? 

Yes...  I'm only going to run one shock on each side,  the cars way to light to run both.  We spent a ton of time eliminating the cage and re-designing the mounting set up.  It looks simple,  but it definitely was not. 

20210326_162815.jpg

• Like 3