Turning a totaled out dirt track Datsun into a Hot Rod.(starting on page 15)

It's still in the frame shop. :(

At least there is no racing for a couple weeks.... We've had a lot of rain, so the track is flooded. I wish this shop would either fix the car or tell me they can't do it, so I could get this car done or finish a new new car before the track opens back up. ;)

I still can't upload photos either, now the computer is in the shop, so i'm still using my cell for updates. :(

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Small update....

I ran by the frame shop today and they've pulled the frame out 7 inches so far. Be still has more work to do, but says with a little luck it'll all be pulled out by wednesday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he can save it. He says the damage is much worse than he originally thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update....

I just talked to the frame shop and they say it's ready to go! I'm planning to pick it up tomorrow and start fixing the mechanical damage and fixing and replacing the bad body panels.

:) :) :)

• Like 1

I wish I could upload oics, but still no computer :(

The passenger side motor mount still doesn't line up properly with the crossmember :( i'm going to have to do a little more work to the frame I think :(

They had to cut out my upper frame structure in front of the struts and I have to fab up a new upper core support, as that is now cut out too. Lots of work to get it raceable. Also need a new starter and alternator, as those were both broken in the wreck. I did get a new radiator for it though. :) lots and lots of welding in my future to get it back on the track.

I may cut the right front frame loose from the fender well and move it forward an inch or so to realign everything then weld it in place and then reinforce it if I need to, but I hope it's not required.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Ok, I got the car back from the "frame guy" and it's still so far out of wack and outta square I'm dismantling the race parts to get my 2 door race ready. :frantics:  If I can manage to straighten out what's left of this car, I will, but don't hold your breath.... :hug:  As sometimes you just gotta cut your losses and start fresh, and I have another wagon chassis that I can build with what's left of this car. Anyways.... Here's some pics of what the car looks like as of now. :bye:

Datsunracecarpics1277_zps03ba3f53.jpg

Datsunracecarpics1267_zpsd425e2c4.jpg

Datsunracecarpics1496_zpsccc4c446.jpg

Datsunracecarpics1275_zps57c0506f.jpg

Datsunracecarpics1272_zps6aad7ec8.jpg

Datsunracecarpics1269_zps9fb3db42.jpg

Datsunracecarpics1260_zps798e7479.jpg

Datsunracecarpics1255_zps8e7e4731.jpg

Datsunracecarpics1252_zpscbbfc9c3.jpg

Datsunracecarpics1502_zps9fe41a1c.jpg

Datsunracecarpics1504_zps61042806.jpg

That's it for this car for a while... :bye:

That's actually kinda what i'm doing on the two door, you can kind see it if you go to that build page. Technically your not allowed reinforcement ahead of the strut towers, but screw that rule. ;)

• 6 years later...

97138351_2540845672833643_30990228720608it's being reincarnated as a old school hot rod roadster. Using the first race engine,  transmission, engine cradle, trans crossmember and some of the saved body panels.  I think it's gonna be cool when it's done and painted. 

• Like 4

I dropped off all the body parts for media blasting and just got them back. Everything turned out really nice, time to body work the panels, get them welded together and primer everything, before flash rust sets in. I'm pretty sure this car is going to tick off a lot of traditional hot rod guys.  😂No photo description available.

Edited by Dirttrack510
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Dirttrack510 said:

I dropped off all the body parts for media blasting and just got them back. Everything turned out really nice, time to body work the panels, get them welded together and primer everything, before flash rust sets in. I'm pretty sure this car is going to tick off a lot of traditional hot rod guys.  😂No photo description available.

That front panel appears to have a lot of "natural speed-holes". Fixing them will be fun. 🙄

I like the general idea though. In Europe people put all manner of motors in hotrods. Quite a few small hotrods got Datsun A series motors over here. I wouldn't mind building a "Bantam" like that... or a big sports car style rod with Jag running gear and suspension.... Hmm, ideas... Better finish what I have first. 🙂