71 Datsun 521

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your fab work looks awesome! I was wondering why you switch between MIG and TIG though. Being a TIG guy myself I can understand with some of the body stuff, but with the chassis fab work I just think TIG would be so much nicer, although those are some really nice MIG welds. Also, is your TIG machine water cooled? If it isn't then you are missing out, much more consistant and the torch doesn't want to burn up all the time when you are doing alot of welding.

Awesome stuff thought.

I did most of the chassis stuff at hgome in my garage before moving intot eh shop. I couldn't get the TIG close enough to the truck. Otherwise I would have TIG welded everything. The floor definitely not. Not a nice enough tig, too much welding, and can't get it clean enough.

The clip is an 87. I have a 93 at the shop too.

Yes there is still smog in Windsor. I'm not far enough North to qualify for only smogging at change of ownership.

I do have a website, but there really isn't much to it. I don't know if I am allowed to post it, but I think there is a link to it in my profile somewhere.

You have to smog a 71? WTF?
I did most of the chassis stuff at hgome in my garage before moving intot eh shop. I couldn't get the TIG close enough to the truck. Otherwise I would have TIG welded everything. The floor definitely not. Not a nice enough tig, too much welding, and can't get it clean enough.

I know what you mean. I did one side of the floors in my car with MIG, and the other TIG. Getting at floors with you foot on the pedal, torch in one hand, and rod in the other can be a chore. When I did the roll bar in my car I learned some new ways to push the pedal! Elbow, hip, another person, whatever got the job done.

Just noticed that you live right near me, cool to have another person in the area.

I've thought about doing that myself!! Nice! Are you going to pack it with steel wool, or run it like that?

Thanks for all the pics!!! I know it takes a good bit of time to take them, post them.....just wanted to let you know that I appreciate it!!

I've thought about doing that myself!! Nice! Are you going to pack it with steel wool, or run it like that?

Thanks for all the pics!!! I know it takes a good bit of time to take them, post them.....just wanted to let you know that I appreciate it!!

I used stainless steel wool before, but from what I understand the constant heat changes will diminish its nickel content and eventually rust. So I started using fiberglass packing material I get at a local motorcycle shop. Its red, made by FMF. I ran out after stuffing the first one (the one with the top welded on).

I'm glad you appreciate the pictures.

that sucker is THICK for a muffler... shouldn't be tinney sounding at all. SWEET!

Its 16 gauge. Thats about the thinnest sheet I keep on hand.

Tubbed the firewall today, and stuck the fenders on to see how much clearance it will have. This thing should be able to turn pretty far laid out. Theres about 3 finger widths between the tire and fender with the wheels straight.

12193700770.jpg

12193700781.jpg

12193700782.jpg

And I cleaned a few stickers off to make room for this one.

12193701120.jpg

I've been waiting to post in here just out of sheer amazement. This thing is wicked. I am debating bodydropping mine right now. I kind of want to wait to get a new bed, so I can raise the bed floor and avoid having a hole. Is it just going to the rockers? If so, are you going to do anything about the bedsides not coming all the way down? Also will it require a Z?

Its going just a butt hair past the rockers. Basically a quick drag will flatten them out enough.

As for the bed, we are looking for replacement rocker panels to extend it down, but for now its being left patina with no metalwork until its closer to paint time.

As far as the Z, with a stock frame I don't think you need to Z them, but I didn't really check. This one has a Toyota clip, which was Z'd while eing installed. Either way, Z'ing a truck isn't a big deal really. You will have to at least drop the front frame horns.

This one has a Toyota clip, which was Z'd while being installed.

Yeah, I saw the Z after I posted. Any tips or pointers on BDing one of these? I have never BD anything, so I don't know exactly where I would need to cut to do the cab. The bed is simple enough. I would prefer to stock floor it, but time and money are scarce so I'm leaning more towards a traditional BD.