71 Datsun 521

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The progress and the fab work looks great!! I always look in the back round to see if I can see your welder, in the early pics I remember seeing a miller wire feed, is that all you have? If those are all mig welds they are damn nice!! I'm guessing because of the color of the welds :D I'm just a wantabe welder:D

Are you using a toyota front clip? if so i would be interested in the remaining 521 front clip. I need some trim.

Also did you use an early (narrow) toyota axle, or the late 1986 and up (3 inch wider) axle

Thanks.

Yeah its the stock Toyota box, and still an L16.

Are you using a toyota front clip? if so i would be interested in the remaining 521 front clip. I need some trim.

Also did you use an early (narrow) toyota axle, or the late 1986 and up (3 inch wider) axle

Thanks.

Trim? Are you talking about fenders or frame? I only used a Toyota frame. I scrapped the Datsun clip today because I couldn't find anyone that wanted it.

I used a 73 axle and narrowed it.

excellent truck you have there, I like everything about it, since you have swapped the front suspension what year toyota pickup did you get the clip from?

btw I noticed that your in windsor, is there any smog inspections there?

do you have a web site for your business yet?

conrad

excellent truck you have there, I like everything about it, since you have swapped the front suspension what year toyota pickup did you get the clip from?

btw I noticed that your in windsor, is there any smog inspections there?

do you have a web site for your business yet?

conrad

The clip is an 87. I have a 93 at the shop too.

Yes there is still smog in Windsor. I'm not far enough North to qualify for only smogging at change of ownership.

I do have a website, but there really isn't much to it. I don't know if I am allowed to post it, but I think there is a link to it in my profile somewhere.

The clip is an 87. I have a 93 at the shop too.

Yes there is still smog in Windsor. I'm not far enough North to qualify for only smogging at change of ownership.

I do have a website, but there really isn't much to it. I don't know if I am allowed to post it, but I think there is a link to it in my profile somewhere.

In texas any thing older than 84 is safety only lol I love $12 inspection. Great arms btw!! I cant wait to get my 720 arms!!:D

I was talking about fender trim. After i wrote that i realized that you are likely using 521 sheet metal and toyota frame clip. I think i want to go that route on my build. Hope your still doing this in a few years.

-JJ

How much did you narrow the front end?

Its narrowed 5 inches. That makes it reasonably close to the stock track width, but its tight on the motor. 4 inches would have been better, and I could have gotten away with it with the stock wheels. But if you plan on running larger wheels I would go 5 inches. The extra width of aftermarket wheels would make it to close at 4 inches. At 5 inches you just have to clearance some brackets on the inside of the frame to make the exhaust manifold clear.

I was talking about fender trim. After i wrote that i realized that you are likely using 521 sheet metal and toyota frame clip. I think i want to go that route on my build. Hope your still doing this in a few years.

-JJ

Yeah its still getting the stock sheetmetal, and a Toyota frame.

I'll likely be doing this for at least another 20 years.