71 Datsun 521

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn Twisted, every time you post I get stoked as hell. You are rocking this in short order!

Thanks man!

As always nice progress, you work faster than me :D Question...on the driveshaft will you mate the stock one to the toyota one where it bolts to the axle?

Yeah I take the stock shaft to the drive line shop with half a Toyota shaft and tell them I need the Toyota end on the axle side and it needs to be X length.

Bitchin man! I just made one too... but I made mine out of an old barn door hinge. Sniff... I really need to learn how to weld...

Thanks man.

I modified the Suicide Doors behind and under brackets to bring the bag closer to the axle, and also use a smaller bag plate that fit the F9000 bags better. They will also double as the lower link mounts now.

P1010246copy-1.jpg

P1010247copy.jpg

Built the simplistic compressor mount, where two compressors will mount in the same location. One on top and one on bottom of the plate.

P1010255copy-1.jpg

And mounted the Wolo air horns, which are very loud.

P1010256copy.jpg

I pushed my floorboards out about 3 inches and dropped the bench seat 4 inches. Its roomier than a stock S10. I have to cram into the Datsun. Its definitely narrower than my truck, and the cab is about 3 inches shorter length wise.

What year is that rear end from? And what year front clip are you useing? I am trying to decide if I want to clip mine or use the factory stuff. I can get a complete rolling chassis from a 1975 toyota truck for 200.00. So I am thing for that price O might as well do it since it has disc brakes and all.

What year is that rear end from? And what year front clip are you useing? I am trying to decide if I want to clip mine or use the factory stuff. I can get a complete rolling chassis from a 1975 toyota truck for 200.00. So I am thing for that price O might as well do it since it has disc brakes and all.

You will deff want to clip it for sure. In all honesty, i wish i hadnt have cheaped out and used the stock clip. As of now its the only thing holding me back from body dropping it. Plus its tons more work and test fitting using the stock stuff.

As for they years, you have to have seth answer that one for you, hes a yota guru.

Would it have been easier to just retro the whole yota frame? I worked on a late '70s yota at work today, looks way simpler to bag than a 521 (not that I have much experience in that field). Anyway, every old timer in my town has one of those old yotas rotting in his backyard, wouldnt mind picking one up to mess with.

wish I had more time to play around on here......there's been some dang nice fab work going on!!! Thanks for the pics!!

You should check out his build thread on his yota. :cool:

Not sure which forum I saw it on, I'm sure Twisted has the link though. :D

Heres the build on my truck.

http://www.dropndrag.com/dnd/viewtopic.php?t=5191

Some of the first pictures are missing because they where hosted on my website which was lost about a year back. But you can get the jist of it.

Heres the 720 I just finished.

http://www.dropndrag.com/dnd/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15364&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&

And heres a Mada I worked on twice.

http://mazdabscene.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7536&

I have no idea why I agreed to touch it the second time after experiencing how cheap the guy was with me the first time. No problem spending money on the parts, but didn't like paying me. I won't touch his stuff again...

Its a 73 axle. I still had to narrow it though. I am using an 87 front clip and narrowing the frame rails and drag link. Pretty easy with the 84-95 Toyota frames. I would stay away from the pre 78 Toyota front clips. They aren't great to work with really, but it can be done. The newer stuff is a better design.

But $200 for a whole frame is cheap. I paid almost $300 just for the axle.