71 Datsun 521

Truck got dropped off this week. As of today most of the parts are in, and its getting rolled inside tomorrow to start tear down.

P1010067copy.jpg

P1010092copy-1.jpg

Not pictures are the valves and air tank. A few things are still in transit.

Plans are as follows:

Toyota axle

Toyota front clip (stock suspension is worked and parts are hard to come by, also Toyota's have better geometry and more usable travel)

Formed sheetmetal upper arms

Tube lower arms

Bilstein shocks all around

Contitech 2500 up front

Firestone F9000 out back

Gravity Werx 4-link

Traditional bodydrop to the rocker

No bed floor

14" steel wheels with white walls

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I do have the front valance for my Toyota. I had some carburetor issues on the way back from a show recently, and had to remove it to put a tow strap on to get it off the freeway shoulder. I just haven't put it back on.

P1010101copy.jpg

And yeah, same amount of drop for the 521. All the way.

so you are going bag over axel?

Technically yes. They will be mounted behind the axle, but still attached directly to the axle. Normally I do bag on bar setups, so I want to try something out of the norm for me. And I've wanted to use sleeve bags for a long time. Truckers run them, and they are designed to be mounted directly to the axle where convoluted bags are not.

^ Some people do mount them on the front. Its hard to say for each person, but it depends on the setup. Some people use these brackets and keep the tank in the stock location. In that case putting them in front isn't possible. I haven't decided if I will be putting them in front or behind the axle. I have to brainstorm and figure out exactly what I want to do. I only have a basic plan.

Looking good as always. Its kool that you have the slider window. They are kinda hard to find, so even if you install a 1 piece sellin git should'nt be a problem. And yeah gotta love the bed mounted gas tanks. Will you be relocating the tank or leaving it alone & making a "wishbone" ?

F9000.

I know you didn't like them because of a lack of lift. But personally I never lift my Toyota higher than 3 inches, and they will lift this thing up 7 inches, so I am happy with that number.

My problem was the rear sat lower than the front, I'm not looking to get my truck up real high, just stock height.

btw, everything looks real good!

Narrowed the axle 2 inches. Will do the axle shafts tomorrow, time for machining class right now. The axle shafts have about 1.125" of splines past where they where engaged stock, so I simply have to cut 1" off the end and it will still grab full factory splines. Got to love Toyota.

P1010153copy.jpg

P1010157copy.jpg

1" per side, and a total of 2 inches. I measured the axle with the tires on, and they where the same width as the lip of the fenders on the bed. So I figured pulling them in an inch would be plenty of room without it looking to "sucked in." I also discovered that Toyota gives you an extra 1" of splines and I finalized my measurement then. I was thinking of going 1.125 or 1.25 until I measured the axles.