71 Datsun 521

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just lookin at the pictures at the top of the page and I can see that the front part of the motor sticks out heaps so it was probably neccessary.

Would it have been too much work and cost the customer too much to drop the engine down far enough to fit? How far is the bell housing from the ground at the moment? After dropping the engine as far as possible in mine, the bell housing is on the ground and and some major work has to be done to the sump to retain oil capacity. And even then the front part of the L motor was a forefinger width away from hitting the bonnet. You probly would have run in to problems with clearence of the oil filter too. So the cowl probably would have been the better option if you wanted it to make it to that show next week. :D

(on knees humbly) -that's some fine work! Your suspension and engine mount fabrication is impressive enough, but the hood mod is GREAT!

I'm a fan of stock hoods, but if there's a clearance issue, that's a fine solution.

On my car, we just did the oil pan and pickup to gain some ground clearance but keep the engine as low as possible. The VG30 mocked under the 510 stock hood is TIGHT. There's only so far you can go. I love the stance on that truck!

Thanks guys. I am really all about a stock hood, but it just wasnt happening with this truck. The Toyota frame has longer control arms than the Datsun, which is great for geometry and travel, but required the frame to be pretty narrow to tuck the wheels. That said, the starter, clutch slave, and the exhaust manifold are about 1/4" away from the frame. In order to get themotor lower, I would have had to build an exhaust manifold from scratch to shift the motor over to the DS and drop it about 1". I then would have to modify the drag link and oil pan to clear eachother, and the ground. And even at that point, the motor would have been about 1.5" above the hood.

The cowl is as small as it can be. Theres 1/4" between the valve cover and the hood. I like it though, its growing on me.

Also the hood in your 620 doesnt drop down an inch from the fenders. This whole hood gets lower in the middle. It sucks, lol. I pondered about getting a stock hood on for a long time, with no avail. Also some of the mods needed where not int he ownders budget. But it is supposed to come back for an L20 swap in about a year or so, which means it could get a custom header and all that jazz then.

I hear its like 3/4" taller.

Theres not much left. Got to do some little stuff tomorrow to get it running and driving, after that it needs the bed built, and I still have to finish the corner transitions of the floor and seal it all up. Also have to run the exhaust back out past the cab and maybe out the side.

wow, that hood is starting to look pretty appealing, looks great with the original lines running up the centre and with the datsun badge, nearly looks like it was meant to be there. Do you think you could chuck up some pics of how you done the steering with those heims? And you are right the 620 does have a nice hump in the middles of the bonnet for the front of the motor to stick up.