The Blue gO_On build?

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big thanks to "Laecaon, Eagle_Adam, Jassifrass, H5WAGON, and anyone else who helped along the way!"

I was amazed of the power on the first drive! Even though there is a fuel delivery issue going on, it hauled ass on the way home! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :hairy:

IMG_2348_zpsf48bac24.jpg

IMG_2363_zps65e23418.jpg

IMG_2360_zps37a9ef56.jpg

IMG_2364_zps203e8122.jpg

• Like 6

So the motor seemed to have a fuel delivery issue so Derek and I made a list of todo's and made with the turning wrenches

Off with the carbs!

274B7950-B4BD-4530-81D3-EC769C13B1E8_zps

Broke em down and cleaned em

8B984B6D-0B76-4F52-A3A9-449DAAA3643E_zps

E7D1A724-C67D-4DAB-9CBF-74A2D66B177E_zps

Ended up that the carbs were missing 4 gaskets.....

So we traced some out and put the carbs back on cleaned up and clean! They were pretty funky inside

CD48EBD0-E8CE-4380-B025-EB9C379F9D93_zps

8F25ED4C-C2CC-48B8-A4EF-978DECE67F3A_zps

With clean carbs we turned to the easy fix when it comes to fuel issues, the filter....

And this ladies and gentlemen is why you replace the $4 filter anytime you can recite its purchase date from memory

CA89556A-A458-45E8-85F0-39DF78782764_zps

F90C78C6-7A2F-474C-B0B0-5FC34654A6FC_zps

Keeping in mind this is what It should be ;)

EB01BBBB-1F9A-40F6-ACB0-5735EC978401_zps

After that we cleaned up and re-gaped the spark plugs cus they had been re-used from the L16 at my advice (in my defense they were new NGK's with less than 3k on them....) Maybe not a good suggestion in hindsight

Last but not least was another round of tuning and timing adjustments.

All said and done it was obviously more responsive and pulling hard until we stopped at Taco Bell for 4th meal at 2am and Derek's battery finally gave up the ghost...

6D4DB3FD-8D02-4CD0-8E79-3D75DCD01764_zps

F22D4065-281D-40B0-80C0-6E836547E0F9_zps

4E0FB012-D2AE-48FF-975C-C1F33E2F09D5_zps

Sooooooo........

Derek's crashing on the couch and we can figure it out when the stores open.

All for the love of everything datsun!!

• Like 1

wow what a weekend!

So Derek and I woke up Sunday morning and set out to get a battery and tie down for him so we could get his car running again, got back with the battery and started up his car after a little timing tune then he was off to the gas station to fill up.

No new issues yet(or so i thought)

then we took a trip out to Klotz's place so Derek could beat on the motor at freeway speeds, it pulled good but smoked a lot a sputtered at times like there was still a fuel issue….

Got back home made more adjustments, then Dyslexic Dime offered some help in the tuning dept so we packed up some tools and a carb sync and headed to his place!

Which is where we found out there was a bent needle…….. And after a bit more investigation and thinking about what had changed/happened so far I came to the horrible conclusion the I must have bent the needle when I was messing with the choke earlier in the morning (still in the taco bell parking lot…)

So now im sitting there looking at a car that wont run cus I goofed, derek has school starting Monday, its Sunday at 4pm, Ztherapy is closed….

Where the fuck am I gunna find a set of 38mm SU needles….

FUCKING FUCKIN FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then it dawns on me, JROCK HAS SOME!!!!

Lucky me he was nice enough to drive and go get them, put them in the back of his truck at the shop along with the powdercoated parts I needed to pick up anyway

Sooooooooooooo off to Olympia it was!

In the end Jrocks needles worked, Derek’s car is driving better than it EVER has and we were able to get home BEFORE 1 am!

I have only one pic from Sunday cus it was so chaotic

Installing new needles in the carbs at 11 pm in Dixlexic Dimes driveway buy the headlights of a mini van

CD8E2CBE-6B79-4055-85BD-1CADAB1466A1_zps

If that ^^ doesn’t explain our day in one pic nothing will

• Like 1