Datsun Patrol

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops, my bad. The FJ had a toyota-built 235 Chevy six (debuted 1941), the 60 Patrol had the Nissan P engine which came out in 1958.

How does this Patrol have electronic ignition? Is it pertronix?

There is a pertronix kit for the water proof distributor, If you go the RockyMountainPatrol Club, there is a site moderator named RiverPatrol who had them produce it.

I bought a 64 Patrol in July :D (tractor engine) it is a mirror image of the GM and Toyota one. DSCN2271-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Mr.Woof's72z

If you got this rig your lucky. They are awesome rigs and up there with the Landcruiser. Just parts are a little harder to get but Australia is a big user of these.

I myself would shoot it white in paint. If this has no rust this is even a bigger find. dump the 521

Vintage Performance has listed the Pertronix for the Patrol. Maybe buy another spare and just use the same coil and such as the want the stock coil and ballast.

http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/Datsun/nissan.htm

I would find a spare trans and clutch for it if you plan on keeping it. maybe a spare motor also.

I think the Aussie make a V8 conversion or trans comversion also

the first Nissan Patrol look like a willys Jeep clone. which later Mishibishi made the CJ3B High Hood under lincense in Japan up to 1998

Oh by spare brake parts and hydralic part

And the engine is a chevy six ... GM sold the engine design to Nissan

I call bullshit on this. A friend has one with a blown head gasket. Looked for all the chevy 6 inline motors and the head gaskets dont look at all the same. Sources!!!!!

I call bullshit on this. A friend has one with a blown head gasket. Looked for all the chevy 6 inline motors and the head gaskets dont look at all the same. Sources!!!!!

it is bullshit. Nissan bought engine casting and tooling from Austin and Graham Paige... if anything, it's a G-P based engine. the original inline six patrols came with the NC engine.

And the engine is a chevy six ... GM sold the engine design to Nissan

Oops, my bad. The FJ had a toyota-built 235 Chevy six (debuted 1941), the 60 Patrol had the Nissan P engine which came out in 1958.

^^We've already been through this.

Very curious about this motor. Any more pictures OP?

• 7 months later...

The Nissan Patrol has an overhead cam straight six engine. No Chevrolet engine had this design. If you insist on a GM straight six with overhead cams the 1968 Pontiac TransAm overhead cam straight six [rarer than hen's teeth today] is the only "equivalent" I can think of.

• 2 months later...

There is a parts interchange list that is available with part numbers you can take to Napa, Autozone, O'rielly, etc... I have 2 patrols and am getting 4 more. On the interchange list it says that the chevy I-6 Distributor COULD be made to fit with some modification. This reference is very nice to have. I have a printed out copy in a 3 ring binder along with a complete service/repair manual that is also available online. Here is the link for the interchange list.

http://www.nissanpatrolclub.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=forum&board=patrols60&op=display&num=99

There is so much info you can get from the people at RPM-O and nissanpatrolclub.com. Some of the parts and numbers for example would be Mitsubishi Eclipse or whatever and it will tell you what modifications if any are needed, most do not need modifications. Be forewarned Nissan Patrols are expensive to drive...they do not do real great on gas but the up keep and maintenence on them hurts....badly. I am not a expert on the matter by any means but I will pass on what I know. If you are going to run your patrol regularly I would recomend finding a bunch of people with patrols and parts so that way you know where to go when you need them. I hope this helps you with your new Patrol and by the way....What a beauty. You had asked if anyone had advice or what to watch fors and i will tell you that in mine I got the best mileage at about 40 MPH. I haven't found anything weak on it....They were built to last and I am sure it will out last me. I don't know if yours has them or not but they are next to impossible to find and those are the bushings that your windshield lays on when you lay it down. There is a guy from the great state of Idaho that custom makes them.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

if you want to see something interesting compare the bellhousing patterns on the early toyota 6's with the chevy 6's of the same year.... and do the same on the patrol (i havent compared the two, but my hunch is there's similarities too)...

• 2 months later...

I am curious about something and Maybe a Datsun/Nissan historian can help out here. Why were these marketed as Nissans when all the other American Nissans were marketed as Datsuns? Were they sold at Datsun dealerships? IS there a DATSUN Patrol? Awesome score by the way, I've always wanted one of these guys.

Probably the cost of rebadging the "Nissan" emblems to "Datsun" emblems was not economically feasible. You have to remember, Nissan had no plan to market the Patrol in the USA. The LHD configuration was designed for Australia, where the Datsun name had no relevance.

Here is a leaflet that says "Nissan's Datsun 4-Wheels Drive Patrol for '69".

http://www.60patrol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1709

Keith