Datsun Patrol

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want to see something interesting compare the bellhousing patterns on the early toyota 6's with the chevy 6's of the same year.... and do the same on the patrol (i havent compared the two, but my hunch is there's similarities too)...

Can't sat for sure but I think the Patrol bolt pattern might have more commonality with the Ford I-block six engine, even though the Patrol is an overhead cam engine.

I can tell you a few things about the Patrol.

• The OHV P Series engine is the predecessor of the OHV P40.
  • The block and bell housing are not interchangeable with any Ford, GM, or Toyota parts.
  • The transmission is a 3 speed, not interchangeable with any tranny know to exist. (There are Patrol owners who have researched this for over 40 years and nobody had found a bolt-up replacement.) A company called Mark's in Australia made a 5 speed transmission; however these are rare and had never been officially imported into the USA.

Keith

A really far out, if not unobtainable after all these years, choice would be to shoehorn a Pontiac OHC 6 cylinder from the early Firebird [maybe 1970 ish?].  At least your choice of transmissions increases exponentially.  Aftermarket support for this engine dried up many years ago, so if you find one you should inspect carefully and nogotiate sharply!

I seriously considered one of these when a flake in San Jose CA advertised a kit 1964 Corvette Nomad station wagon body kit for the 1963 Chevy Bel Air station wagon chassis.  He went out of business one month later, I didn't send any money, for which I am still grateful.

Probably the cost of rebadging the "Nissan" emblems to "Datsun" emblems was not economically feasible. You have to remember, Nissan had no plan to market the Patrol in the USA. The LHD configuration was designed for Australia, where the Datsun name had no relevance.

Here is a leaflet that says "Nissan's Datsun 4-Wheels Drive Patrol for '69".

http://www.60patrol.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1709

Keith

Why would Nissan design a LHD model for a right hand drive nation like Australia?  Most likely for the Near East like Saudi Arabia, Iraq,etc. they are still sold albeit they are now what we call the Exterra [a comitee name if I ever heard it!].

Why would Nissan design a LHD model for a right hand drive nation like Australia?  Most likely for the Near East like Saudi Arabia, Iraq,etc. they are still sold albeit they are now what we call the Exterra [a comitee name if I ever heard it!].

Spotted a Patrol in Cairo last summer:

OTNLvKHl.jpg

lHCAOf9l.jpg

hMA6qDQl.jpg