Datsun Patrol

So, this Patrol popped up on the local Craigslist. After seeing it parked I stopped by today to check it out, thinking it wouldn't be worth the $4000 asking price. Quickly realized it was worth something, I attached a picture, but overall the truck is in exceptional condition, especially considering it's age. It is mostly stock with the exception of running electronic ignition (which I will have to look closer at as to how the previous owner went about doing that). Not a fan of the color, but it's a 1969 Datsun Patrol that just happens to be a few miles down the street for me, beggars can't be choosers. I know the in's and out's of Z's and pickups, are there a few helpful hints like what to look for and what to avoid for Patrols in specific. All I keep getting is "make sure it's complete" which it is, plus a few extra parts. Looking at it again tomorrow and taking it for a test drive, any input before then will be greatly appreciated!

20111229153421889.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes... 4k is good if it's a complete driver with no issues... Parts sourcing/substitution is bizarrely more available than for the 510, but is 4 times as expensive. Do the standard tire wiggle and crawl under it... I know petronix did a limited run of ei dizzy kits for the club awhile back.

Body parts are still available , steering and engine kits from oz... The big resource is the rmp&o forum. Rocky mountain patrol and offroad.... Sign up there and see what they think.

Of the landcruiser, land rover, patrol and jeep, the patrol had the best power during that era. The land rover won for alim panels and the cruiser won for sales and parts availability.

They stopped selling them in the states in 70, but this body was produced til 1980 by Nissan and til 1997 in India as the Jonga for the Indian army.

The later 60 series came with a diesel that was also in the international scout from 77 or so in the US.

Ratty2+2 - yep D-town c- list, actually saw it down the street from me up here in Loveland. 6th year into owning my first (of many) Datsuns and never saw one out here for sale. Test drove it, awesome! Reminds me of my first car, 1946 CJ2-A, and its a Datsun so I have to get it. Electronic ignition, all lights/wiring new with spade fuses, full tune-up/oil change, etc. Only thing not working is gas gauge, even washer sprayer works. Needs a passenger door window, back side glass (has cut plexi now), re-route the exhaust and get the interior up to par. I put $1500 and a Blazer that needs work on the table and hopefully the Patrol will be sitting next to my '71 Z, its been way too long since I've had 2 running, driving Datsun side by side in my driveway. Moar pictars soon...

Ggzila, I will have to look into that. All the guys I've talked to and info I've read is that these engines are in fork lifts and a wee bit pricey...86 kmi original miles (documented by P/O) so hopefully we'll be good for a little while. Comes with an original manual crank starter too so at least if the starter goes I'll be lucky enough to use that bad boy!

Just remember, these rigs in stock form don't go over 50 mph. Slow, very heavy, great for tooling around town or in the woods, not a highway driver. It'd be better to yank out that full iron 6 and iron trans and put in an L28.

That's all I'm looking for in this. I hit 45 on the test ride and that was good for me. Just put deposit down, waiting on title juggling fun. Snapped a few pictures, trying to figure out how to upload them from my phone as my computer is down for the count. Color matches my other Christmas present, white/black/grey Morewood Izimu race sled for next year. How trendy and cool.

Dun dun dun...couple new pics, along with the new-ish bike. Put some money down yesterday, hopefully will have it taken care of by mid-week. Garage has already been gutted of random previous Datsun projects in anticipation for this guy.

contentmediaexternalimaz.jpg

contentmediaexternalimag.jpg

contentmediaexternalimap.jpg

contentmediaexternalimav.jpg

Girlfriend is real excited about this guy for the summer time, she actually convinced me to pick this up over a Buell Firebolt that I was really interested in. Nice to have the other half on your side. I received a binder full of owners manuals printed out, all the documentation since mid-2000's of beginning of work done with pictures. Truck had a $1600 price tag, and I have approx $2700 in receipts dating as recently as 9/27/11 for work done (replace shocks, wheel bearings, etc. Even e-mails printed out from guys over at at the Patrol site out of Jackson, Wyoming. Would love to get some more info from the previous owner. I am not nostalgic about #'s matching/uber pristine/stock vehicles, I just want an old school trail rig that can get me out to the mountains.

Merlin - thanks for the heads up, if I get a wild hair up my ass I might see what that's all about. For now, trips within 100 miles @ 40 mph sounds like some great summer camping adventures, plus a few trips to the slopes this winter! Girlfriend already wants it in the garage to strip the interior, sand it down, and repaint it with bed liner, awesome! Between my '72z getting a sbc406/t-56 and this guy I am nose deep in Datsun "projects", their parts, and their headaches...Something I will never lament in the least. Ever.

Guest kamakazi620

And the engine is a chevy six ... GM sold the engine design to Nissan

WRONG!!!!!!!!! You got Mixed up with toyota YO!!!!!!! The nissan six in patrols had NOTHING to do with the chevy Six it was TOYOTA who had the contract with GM,That nissan six looks NOTHING like a chevy six,intake is even on the wrong side....

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/09/curbside-classic-1965-toyota-fj-40-land-cruiser/

Yea its running Pertronix. I have a bunch of old pictures/documents of work done to the vehicle. Previous owner before the person I am getting it from did a good amount of work. Will have to post on Patrol sites as I have a couple emails from guys over there and I really would like to find the previous owner. So far, so fun.