SWDP 5th Bar-B-Que, 3 day event thread

Steroid

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, an AWESOME weekend is over ! ! ! I want to say it again to You all and those of You from other areas that don't know about this run. There is NO "I" in SWDP. "I" didn't do all of this. I am just one of many of YOU that made this weekend GREAT. And it truly was. I have envisioned for years that if there was any way possable to catch the magic of what a smaller intimate 70s truck run was like that somehow it could happen today. Remember that I was there during those times. Those of You younger don't know but got a good glimpse if You attended. This started out the same way with watching trucks roll in on Friday evening and socializing into the early hours of Saturday. Everything went flawlessly and that is because of YOU seeing that it did. Food was awesome ! Thanks to those that brought and prepared it. Our special guest was none other than "Mister Fontana Datsun", George Koepsell. He built the building in 1960 that housed Fontana Datsun. When 620 enthusiasts asked about forming a truck club in the early 70s, Mr. Koepsell allowed them to have Their meetings in the service department. 39 years later, Mr. Koepsell led Us lucky enough on a tour of what He built, where He worked and told Us why He did it. There was a question and answer session. Truly an incredible history lesson ! ! We presented Him with this years honorary plaque. I have to thank especially His son, Kevin, for making sure George was on vacation from South Carolina and to be gracious enough to do this for Us. Remember that not only was Kevin His son, but He also bought His own 620 and was a member of SCDP. After eating the sun was setting on those in and around the pool area as an awesome band began setting up. Darkness arrived and the first notes were heard. Classic 70s and period correct songs for our "time machine" run ! ! They were the most enjoyable band I have heard in years ! ! These were very accomplished musicians with many years of playing and it very much showed. It was told to Us that at one time most even owned a Datsun ! One guy played an electric violin which was hooked up to a Wawa pedal. I have never seen or heard sounds like He was playing before ! ! The bass player, Harry, even came in a 620 ! ! Once again I was up very late and 4 of Us got around today and went in a 40 mile drive in Our trucks to visit Amy and see more trucks ! ! Driving a lowered 620 through areas and on back roads that I have not been on in many years was a highlight ! ! Thank You all for truly helping create A NEW ERA OF OLDNESS ! !

Well, an AWESOME weekend is over ! ! ! I want to say it again to You all and those of You from other areas that don't know about this run. There is NO "I" in SWDP. "I" didn't do all of this. I am just one of many of YOU that made this weekend GREAT. And it truly was. I have envisioned for years that if there was any way possable to catch the magic of what a smaller intimate 70s truck run was like that somehow it could happen today. Remember that I was there during those times. Those of You younger don't know but got a good glimpse if You attended. This started out the same way with watching trucks roll in on Friday evening and socializing into the early hours of Saturday. Everything went flawlessly and that is because of YOU seeing that it did. Food was awesome ! Thanks to those that brought and prepared it. Our special guest was none other than "Mister Fontana Datsun", George Koepsell. He built the building in 1960 that housed Fontana Datsun. When 620 enthusiasts asked about forming a truck club in the early 70s, Mr. Koepsell allowed them to have Their meetings in the service department. 39 years later, Mr. Koepsell led Us lucky enough on a tour of what He built, where He worked and told Us why He did it. There was a question and answer session. Truly an incredible history lesson ! ! We presented Him with this years honorary plaque. I have to thank especially His son, Kevin, for making sure George was on vacation from South Carolina and to be gracious enough to do this for Us. Remember that not only was Kevin His son, but He also bought His own 620 and was a member of SCDP. He also built a truck cool enough to be on the cover and featured in Truckin' Magazine. After eating the sun was setting on those in and around the pool area as an awesome band began setting up. Darkness arrived and the first notes were heard. Classic 70s and period correct songs for our "time machine" run ! ! They were the most enjoyable band I have heard in years ! ! These were very accomplished musicians with many years of playing and it very much showed. It was told to Us that at one time most even owned a Datsun ! One guy played an electric violin which was hooked up to a Wawa pedal. I have never seen or heard sounds like He was playing before ! ! The bass player, Harry, even came in a 620 ! ! Once again I was up very late and 4 of Us got around today and went in a 40 mile drive in Our trucks to visit Amy and see more trucks ! ! Driving a lowered 620 through areas and on back roads that I have not been on in many years was a highlight ! ! Thank You all for truly helping create A NEW ERA OF OLDNESS ! !

Wow! What a great weekend!

Wish I could have stayed longer yesterday, but had a previous engagement, but when I returned at 10pm last night, I was so stoked to see people were up and the band was still cranking. Stayed up till 2 AM !! Great time!

Here's my pics from early Saturday and a late night pic of the band,and a few more from this morning before I rolled out.

Big thanks to all involved in putting the event together, all that attended, the band, and the Wigwam staff!

Always good times hanging with friends! See you next year! Brad

http://public.fotki.com/Lordmodelbuilder/car_shows/5th-annual-swdp-bbq/

I only got to swing by for a couple hours on my way home to San Diego from LAX late Saturday... What a great event and the perfect venue off the main drag and away from traffic. Just having the opportunity to view the trucks lined up inbetween the teepees was worth the making the drive out of my way. Everyone was friendly and offered info on thier builds. Simply fantastic! Wish I could have flown in early enough to the trucks lined up at the dealership.

My truck was out of comission and I had to go to a family wedding in Portland this year...but I'll be there with my truck next year if I have to push it!

I have just got it confirmed that We are welcome back again at the Wigwam the third weekend of August next year. Next year's event will be here, as voted on by most in attendance, and not at the park. Also I plan to have Our flyer done early enough, with the same design that will be on the t-shirts, so that You can copy and print them to hand out. I wanted to tell You that We welcomed in 3 new members this year ! ! 79620kc is on here and the Fleenors. I will tell You more about them later, or let them introduce themselves here on Ratsun. It just keeps getting better and better ! ! Thank You again ! !

• Like 2

got home around 11pm last night had a tire go flat from missing chunk in sidewall and was lucky i was at Loves truckstop and my spare would not work on trailer and the 24hr repair shop(american wheel and tire) on main street across McDonalds in quartzsite are a bunch of a**holes i recommend not going there for anything. i had to go back to blythe for a new tire. once i got to Ace tire and repair shop off of lovekin exit north of I-10 freeway on hobsonway, the guy named jesse has a chop top 620(1976) i took pix and sent them to steriod,pcd. and he wants to join the SWDP club. he has a L20B with a U67 head and weber carb. i told he i was on my way home back to phoenix from san bernandino-wigwam event and he said he was in san bernandino also. i also told him about the WCN event that will be going on in april.

I had a blast! That was one of the best truck runs I have ever been too! & that band was freekin' awesome!!! lol Seriously, a great event that I'm really looking forward to next year! Thanx for having us...

To say I was shocked in an understatement. You cats rocked it pretty hard.

I'm finally feelin better, what a PARTY! I mean, I'm no kid anymore so gettin lit and stayin up 1/2 the night takes it's toll! I wanted to thank SWDP for opening this event to everyone, this was my second year and it just gets better.Thank you PRIMOHARRY for bringing your bad ass band and your chops to entertain us! It was good to see some people again and to meet some new ones and I wanted to thank my PRIMO boy's for keepin the fire lit and pullin through so 3 of us could debut our new rides this year. And Mike,Mark, and everyone else who worked for months to pull this off, once again -GREAT JOB!

I know a few of You were unable to purchase t-shirts for various reasons. Here once again is what they look like:

P1012891.jpg

I have some Large and Extra Large still available. I will send them out if You would like to purchase them by Paypal for $20.00. This will include the shirt, shipping and the Paypal charge. If interested please send Paypal payment to: steroid620@yahoo.com THANK YOU ! ! !

I also have available some of the 3rd Annual "Datman" (who was the Escondido Datsun trademark) t-shirts. Same price. I failed to mention multiable shirt orders will have only the one $5.00 shipping and Paypal charge. Shirts sold in person too will still be the usual $15.00 price. THANKS ! !

My pix will be uploaded & posted hopefully this weekend.

I want to thank all involved in making our bbq such a good time.

The entire event was "therapy" for me....seeing old friends again & making new ones !!

Harry & the band...you guys rock !

Congrats to Tony & Derek for recieving plaques this year & of course a huge TY to Kumar & family for allowing us to take over the Wig Wam.

Im already looking forward to next year !