Anyone want to buy new 320 vent window rubbers?

ol' 320

1 hour ago, KFunk740 said:

You mean the modern Jeep Commander, from 2010+? and not some old model?

Just making mental notes myself, in case mine ever gets busted.  I haven't heard anyone mention a specific model before.   I have a shop that would certainly help find one as well, but it'd be nice to give them a head start.  

Thanks for the help.

Correct, modern Jeep Commander. 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So far the closet thing I have found is the mid 80s Mazda 2200cc wingwindow gasket, but it has the wrong back upright design and is ever so slightly shorter from bottom to top, I stretched the one I had too far trying to get it to fit and it cracked in the bottom rear corner to release the tension.

Also I do not believe anyone is making them gaskets either, they likely are NLA also.

Edited by wayno

It has been a while since I have logged on to Ratsun, but I am still in need of some of these vent window rubbers....I have a little experience in 3D printing parts and casting them in resin.  So far for my 320 I have done the little green turn signal indicators and the clear plastic insert on the horn button.  I have done a few other casts for some friends, but nothing as complex as this window gasket.  If @320 Newb or @Rusty gate would want to share the CAD file, I like to take a stab at printing it out and casting it with some sort of flexible resin.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

You will get lots of people that say they want a set, but once they are made that doesn't mean they will buy them, and then there are others that will buy a set or two that do not even know this thread exists as they are not members of this forum.

These types of 320 parts do sell over time, but one has to sit on them for years sometimes before they do sell.

My honest opinion is that if 100 sets were made today, 75 sets would sell tomorrow. I do believe that there are enough 320 enthusiasts out there just waiting to start a restoration, but holding off because of these key missing components. I actually sold my 320 simply because I had to keep it indoors in the winter. If it had good window seals, the rain would not be able to destroy the interior.

If they become available, I will buy two sets immediately.

• Like 1

Obviously, this issue has been on going for 8 years. If I find a source I'll let everyone know and it's going to be done a bit different this time. If I find a source through one of my friends in Japan, then I'll try and share their source but I will not burden my friend to chase parts for each individual nor will I expect them to make a bulk purchase. Same with any soucre in the U.S. This one it will probably require each individual to show a commitment prior to the source even making a mold. I'll only provide the information needed to show commitment. I hope we can just get away with providing whatever files we have (CAD files...etc) so if someone wants to email me the file, I'll forward what we have to them. This company touts low cost molds and low. Or short runs. We shall see.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, trakker98 said:

I hope we can just get away with providing whatever files we have (CAD files...etc) so if someone wants to email me the file, I'll forward what we have to them. This company touts low cost molds and low. Or short runs. We shall see.

Are there really CAD files of the vent window seals already? If there are, I would also like them to seen if I can make a 3d printed mold like I did for the window weatherstrips. I was assuming that a lot of the problem was that the cad files still need to be made.

Another resource for have a mold made might be fictiv.com. They do on demand manufacturing including injection molding. They have an automated quoting system that allows you see what it would for the initial molds as well as each part afterwards. I haven't used them for anything yet, but I have sat through a little presentation for them and have also tested out their quoting system a little bit.

Dylan

If a set comes up in the $200 range I'm in in a second.

Also I think there's a lot more of these trucks around than the internet would have us believe. I found a guy that lives a couple of miles from my house who has 4 complete 320s in his backyard. 

I've got a CAD 3D scan I'm happy to share. Email me at moses.thompson@gmail.com.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I'm representing Advance Auto Supply, an aftermarket parts supplier specializing in weatherstrips and plastic inner fenders for Japanese trucks and sedans.

We're one of the largest companies of our kind in Thailand, and for the past 30 years we've worked with partners in Taiwan and Japan to ensure our products meet or exceed OEM standards. You can check out some of our products here: http://advanceauto.co.th/

One of your community members contacted us a while ago inquiring about the possibility of manufacturing vent window rubbers for Datsun 320s. He very kindly provided us with a physical sample we could use. I'm happy to report that we're able to make the rubbers!

After some discussions with my boss and our production guys, we'd need at least 100 orders for each window side to make this cost-feasible. If you're interested, please fill out the pre-order form that I've linked: We'll need a 30% deposit on each order, which will be mailed to you as a Paypal invoice.

https://forms.gle/DGnAeGiKzy3D8Jdo6

Pricing:
LH Window Seal - 68.25 USD
RH Window Seal - 68.25 USD
LH+RH Window Seal - 136.5 USD

Shipping: 80 USD to most US addresses (may vary slightly depending on the location).

Please let us know if you have any questions. Personally, I'm very excited about pulling this off! I've heard people have been trying and failing for years to get these 320 window rubbers made.

You guys are on your own on this. I would read all the posts here about foreign parts makers using your proprietary designs and capitol to make the molds, then later cranking out more and selling them on line for a lot less. Then, as always, there is quality problems with 'rubber' window gaskets and seals. Not saying this is the case here just beware. Christ $80 for shipping????

On 5/5/2019 at 5:44 AM, datzenmike said:

I know barely what 3D printing is, so this may be less than helpful, but could you not print a mold of the part you want? Or have it professionally made? Maybe a 3 or 4 piece that comes apart to remove the complex convoluted contents? Spray with mold release, fit it together and fill with 'soft' polyurethane 'rubber' and let set. I know, I'm making this sound easy, but sometimes all it takes is an idea. This way you have total control of the process and you don't need a big outlay of cash. Make parts as needed.

On 5/5/2019 at 8:14 AM, datzenmike said:

There are all kinds of stuff on You-tube for casting stuff at home. There are also flexible urethane resins that can be bought. I can't state anything from certainty but I can point the way. Someone should be able to figure something out.

Why can't this be done???

If this production run actually comes to pass, I would love to see someone post a detailed set of pics of the "new" gaskets.

Best of luck if folks proceed with the orders. I totally understand why Advance would want to see some deposits. I also understand some people's apprehension about laying down money for items that may not become manifest.

This is the chicken and egg dilemma of pioneering the production of parts for auto restorations.

If I still owned my 320, I would order a set.

I can tell you this... Wayno put up a lot of money to do a run of more than 20 new 320 windshields a few years ago. I was lucky enough to be able to buy two, which Wayno even delivered to my house. I bet anyone who was lucky enough to get in on that custom run is delighted they did so. But Wayne still had to go through an enormous hassle to arrange this, collect from everyone, and ship these off to people. I made  avery good friend out of this deal... and I got to meet the famous Wayno ... a great guy!

Back to the Advance proposal. When I looked at doing this, creating moulds and having a quality production run done by a known manufacturer, I was looking at having to front between $5-7K for moulds and to make an initial run of something like 75 sets.

If these turned out to be of decent quality, then the offer prices would be a real bargain. I looked at the Advance site, and it indicates on some similar side window rubbers that they are made of EDPM. That is what I intended to have Lynn Steele make these out of when I was looking at producing new rubbers.

I sold my 320, a very nice truck that desperately needed new vent window rubbers. I decided to get wait to start a 521 project until quality vent window rubbers were made available.  It made no sense to me to do a high end restoration without being able to source all new rubber gaskets.

I know nothing good or bad about this particular company in Thailand. But I do think if someone makes good quality vent rubbers available again for 320s, a certain amount will sell. I would be willing to bet that if a 320 owner obtains and posts a detailed review of any newly manufactured, decent quality vent rubbers on Ratsun, with pics and an objective review of their experience with same, that probably 50-75 sets will sell.

The question is, are there 100 people out there "now" who are willing to send a $60 deposit to Advance to make this happen, hoping all goes well?  Under the proposed scenario, individuals are not being asked to front mould costs. They are being asked to front $60 per pair, against a future production run and what seems like relatively fair final retail price for something not available ANYWHERE at the moment.

All I can say is, if I still had my 320, I would take this chance. I spent far more than this amount searching for a potential manufacturer.

I have also paid deposits for parts that never materialized. So YMMV ... 

Mickey1845: If these do actually go into production and after a review is posted by one or more end buyers, I have no doubt you will see ongoing sales. But as longtime Ratsun participants well remember, there was a previous effort to make 620 King Cab gaskets available that went horribly wrong, so many folks may be understandably cautious about vendor performance.

Advance/Mickey1845: Perhaps if you committed to post detailed pics of the production pieces when they are ready to ship BEFORE BILLINg the balance and shipping costs, this would provide some additional confidence to the buyers.

Good luck to all with this. I would've to se these pieces made available again. 

If this production run actually comes to pass, I would love to see someone post a detailed set of pics of the "new" gaskets.

Best of luck if folks proceed with the orders. I totally understand why Advance would want to see some deposits. I also understand some people's apprehension about laying down money for items that may not become manifest.

This is the chicken and egg dilemma of pioneering the production of parts for auto restorations.

If I still owned my 320, I would order a set.

I can tell you this... Wayno put up a lot of money to do a run of more than 20 new 320 windshields a few years ago. I was lucky enough to be able to buy two, which Wayno even delivered to my house. I bet anyone who was lucky enough to get in on that custom run is delighted they did so. But Wayne still had to go through an enormous hassle to arrange this, collect from everyone, and ship these off to people. I made  avery good friend out of this deal... and I got to meet the famous Wayno ... a great guy!

Back to the Advance proposal. When I looked at doing this, creating moulds and having a quality production run done by a known manufacturer, I was looking at having to front between $5-7K for moulds and to make an initial run of something like 75 sets.

If these turned out to be of decent quality, then the offer prices would be a real bargain. I looked at the Advance site, and it indicates on some similar side window rubbers that they are made of EDPM. That is what I intended to have Lynn Steele make these out of when I was looking at producing new rubbers.

I sold my 320, a very nice truck that desperately needed new vent window rubbers. I decided to get wait to start a 521 project until quality vent window rubbers were made available.  It made no sense to me to do a high end restoration without being able to source all new rubber gaskets.

I know nothing good or bad about this particular company in Thailand. But I do think if someone makes good quality vent rubbers available again for 320s, a certain amount will sell. I would be willing to bet that if a 320 owner obtains and posts a detailed review of any newly manufactured, decent quality vent rubbers on Ratsun, with pics and an objective review of their experience with same, that probably 50-75 sets will sell.

The question is, are there 100 people out there "now" who are willing to send a $60 deposit to Advance to make this happen, hoping all goes well?  Under the proposed scenario, individuals are not being asked to front mould costs. They are being asked to front $60 per pair, against a future production run and what seems like relatively fair final retail price for something not available ANYWHERE at the moment.

All I can say is, if I still had my 320, I would take this chance. I spent far more than this amount searching for a potential manufacturer.

I have also paid deposits for parts that never materialized. So YMMV ... 

Mickey1845: If these do actually go into production and after a review is posted by one or more end buyers, I have no doubt you will see ongoing sales. But as longtime Ratsun participants well remember, there was a previous effort to make 620 King Cab gaskets available that went horribly wrong, so many folks may be understandably cautious about vendor performance.

Perhaps if you committed to post detailed pics of the production pieces when they are ready to ship BEFORE BILLING the balance and shipping costs, this would provide some additional confidence to the buyers.

Good luck to all with this. I would love to see these pieces made available again. 

I'm going to do a little homework on the company but if everything looks legit I might order a set. The $80 shipping fee is the part that looks fishy so far.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to dispute a charge on PayPal? If the gaskets never happen could we get our money back through PayPal or maybe through the credit card company? 

• Like 1

The complaint has to be filed within 180 days(around 6 months).

I have seen manufacturers take more time than that to make a mold they were happy with on something not nearly as complicated.

I don't know about this company "Advance Auto Supply", they want $6000.00 up front, I am inquiring about the company from someone I know, it may take time for a response, he knows a lot about Asian manufacturers. 

• Like 1

Hi Mickey.  I want to believe you can help us solve this long-lived problem with our beloved 320s.  Thanks for the effort you have put into this already.  

That said, after taking a look at your website I have some concerns.  There are dead links and misspelled words that don't inspire confidence.  Perhaps that is because English is a second language to the author, in which case it's very understandable.  Your Facebook page only seems to have been around for the last six months or so.  The telephone number on your page appears to be for a cabinetmaking business located in Mississippi.  That may be because it's missing the country code.  The FAQ page consists entirely of Lorem Ipsum filler and your "Follow Us" social media links link to social media sites but not to your pages on any of them.  Maybe it's a new website.  I think all of this could have legitimate explanation, but again it doesn't inspire confidence.  

Also, perhaps you could ask the member here to provided the cores for the vent window rubbers to vouch for you.  I hate to be a cynic, but it's also possible that Advance Auto Supply is in fact a legitimate overseas business, in which case how are we to know that you posting here today are associated with it?  Someone could easily sign up to this forum, post a link to a reputable supplier, and then ask folks to click on a Google Form they have created and pay an upfront amount and then disappear with the funds.  A possible first step would be to add the pre-order offer to the Advance Auto Supply website's cart.  At least then it would be clearer that any funds remitting were going to Advance Auto Supply.  

I'm not trying to be negative about this, I think it would be great if this turns out to be legitimate.  But I would need to get to know you and your company a bit better before moving forward.  

Thanks!  

• Like 1