Anyone want to buy new 320 vent window rubbers?

ol' 320

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really looking forward to the test fitting at AAPEX! Thanks again to @ol' 320, @wayno and @trakker98 for arranging the 320 window frames. Hopefully this first prototype isn't too far off. 

If anyone would like to place a pre-order, please do so in the link below! We understand it's a big risk to invest in a project of this nature, so we've decided to extend the pre-order period to until 10 days after AAPEX: 17 November 2019. 

https://forms.gle/4QzRTAktXaXTCqxx6

It's my hopes folks that if the test fit goes good, then just one phone call and they can fire up the production and start shipping as soon as they come off the line. Thanks you for everyone's patience. What's our next project?  😉😉  Steering column bulkhead seal? Just a thought!

• Like 1

Maybe the hood to cowl vent seal.

Correct shifter grommets/boots.

Firewall boots for wiring.

I am in constant need of various size firewall boots for wiring. The aftermarket does not support good quality boots and OEM boots are near impossible to find in standard round shapes. If you sold a 3" OD boot with a 1.25" ID, I'd buy 50 of them right away. No, I am not interested in using the ones from Seals-it. They need to look like OEM for my builds.

There are sources for most old car, old tech applications, but the rubber usually sucks. The ones I need are for EFI wiring harnesses with huge connector housings.

The quality of the rubber issue - why can't the aftermarket figure this out? Fork boots on my Triumph Bonneville are a good example. The original ones lasted about 20 years, but the new replacements break apart after only a year or two at the most.

• Like 1

I saw that O'Reilly's auto parts carried a bag of misc. firewall grommets but I'm not sure of the quality or even the manufacturer. Also the floor plugs. I came up with my own seals for the front marker lights for my 63, they are OEM seals from about a 68ish Mustang and need very little modification.

1 hour ago, trakker98 said:

I saw that O'Reilly's auto parts carried a bag of misc. firewall grommets but I'm not sure of the quality or even the manufacturer. Also the floor plugs. I came up with my own seals for the front marker lights for my 63, they are OEM seals from about a 68ish Mustang and need very little modification.

Oh wow. These mustang gaskets? https://www.cjponyparts.com/backup-light-to-body-gasket-pair-1965-1966/p/BLBG1/?year=1966&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv4mUpOnO5QIVhspkCh3ejg9rEAkYASABEgJPKfD_BwE

Do you have a pic of them installed?

On 11/3/2019 at 7:20 AM, 320 Newb said:

Headlight, tail light, and marker light seals. 🙂

The bulkhead seal is an SOB to replace because of everything that has to come off the steering column.

Possibly a slit with a flange on each side, below the column tube......?   The gasket could be spread at the slit to slip over the tube, then a small amount of gasket/rubber adhesive used on the flanges to join them.  No remove of anything on the column.  Bit more of a challenge if it's a column shift, but something similar could probably be worked out.  The metal mounting flange could have a split in it......should be able to spread it like a key ring over the tube.....provided the gauge of steel used isn't too thick.

I made up a set of die-forms a couple years ago to form the heater elbows from low-temp heat-formable plastic. there is no heat on the elbow so it works fine. I got a brainstorm on this project from the medical field in the process of having a brace made for arthritis in the thumb. I made a small run of elbows and supplied several to other 320 truck owners.

Heater-Elbow-Form.jpg

Ready-To-Cast-Netative-Mold.jpg

Positive-Molds-Out-of-The-Negatives.jpg

Elbow-Installed-Rear-View.jpg

Elbow-Installed-Right-Side.jpg

Semi flexible but rigid enough that it would be very difficult to install, so the elbow I made is two pieces that nest together allowing installation with heat/fresh-air units mounted in pickup. Original is rubber type material that flexes enough to install.

Edited by difrangia
Add photo
  • Like 5

Taking the samples I provided, they did a near perfect product on the first shot! What an event it was though, hundreds of thousands of people and I found the manufacturer and his tech easy and pleasant to work with. There's nothing in the way of us having more parts made. I wanted to also add that installation of each seal took me no more than 10 minutes each. I suggest starting at the top corner and work down on each side using something like a credit card to work the edges in. Occasionally pulling the seal up towards the starting corner like you're trying to compress it until you get to the bottom edge then pick a corner and repeat the process. 

Edited by trakker98
Added instructions.
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, trakker98 said:

Taking the I provided, they did a near perfect product on the first shot! What an event it was though, hundreds of thousands of people and I found the manufacturer and his tech easy and pleasant to work with. There's nothing in the way of us having more parts made.

Stellar work! 

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, 320 Newb said:

Funny you mention radial tires I'm on the hunt for 14" bias ply light truck tires that fit stock 320 wheels and look factory. 🙂 

I would never install bias ply tires on anything I own except maybe a trailer, but Coker Tire has them for sale, kinda spendy, but you can likely find them elsewhere for cheaper.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styles/bias-ply-tires.html