Anyone want to buy new 320 vent window rubbers?

ol' 320

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mickey, Trakker, others:

Thank you for taking this recent effort so far. Since I started this thread in 2011 I feel like I at least need to show some faith in any legitimate effort to move forward. Mickey: I sent in my pre-order today.

I was delighted 40 years ago when someone made vent window rubber available again for my '56 VW.

My 521 has one of the early run sets of the now-availabe good quality vent window rubbers.

I want a new, OEM quality set of 320 vent window rubbers sometime before I die of old age.

Might I add: The requested pre-order deposit is now less than dinner for two at a decent restaurant.

When your 320 project is nice and tidy and water tight, you will forget the cost of these gaskets.

Thanks again to whomever took the risk to tear their truck apart and send their irreplaceable gaskets in to this company for evaluation.

When I receive my gasket set, these will make an awesome present for my buddy, the current owner of my old 320. And I will gladly post pics of these items when I receive them.

In closing, one thing seems certain: If enough people don't order gaskets, then none will get made.

I am willing to risk a relatively modest hunt of money in the sincere hope that AAS will deliver us a decent product. 

• Like 1

But if you had a retro part made that was discontinued? Like a window gasket. It's yours, I don't think BMW gives a shit. You should own and control the process too. I worked at an injection mold plastics company and the molds were owned by the client. (even though we maintained, repaired and modified them) When product was needed we installed the molds and ran them. At any time we could have done this and sold the product to a competitor but I think this is pretty illegal. The client owned the mold and everything it was used for.

This isn't the mid '60s when these were made. Surely processes have moved forward in 50-60 years? We have CAD, scanning, computers, 3-D printing and better materials. 

Hey, I'm just asking questions that everyone should be asking themselves. If you're good with the price and shipping fly at it.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

One thing you could do to sooth the nerves here is to give some references. Would you be willing to share some of the shop names you currently sell to here in the USA?

Since we sell parts to them wholesale, I'm unfortunately unable to disclose their names. It would be bad for their business -- and ours. 

However, if anyone has doubts about the trustworthiness of our company, please come to Las Vegas this November. AAS is exhibiting at AAPEX 2019.  Come for a chat and selfie with the owner, Mr. Kitisak! He's a nice guy and speaks English very well. 

https://s23.a2zinc.net/clients/glasgow/aapex2019/Public/eBooth.aspx?IndexInList=17&FromPage=Exhibitors.aspx&ParentBoothID=&ListByBooth=true&BoothID=226691

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

But this company, AAS, is not asking for someone to participate in ownership of the molds. They are just selling parts.

with all the patient discussions on 14 pages of dialogue, people should be past the point of asking questions about who will "own" these molds.

I don't care if they mold them print them, or use a GEnie's wish these gaskets into existence. For $136 a set, if the company in Thailand can grow new vent window gaskets on trees. I just want a set. And in case you have forgotten, this thread was started in 2011.

Interesting to learn NOW that you used to work for an injection mold company. If you care so much about this p=thread that you feel compelled to snipe from the sidelines on every single attempt to  recreate these gaskets, why didn't YOU step forward to make an effort to assist with making new gaskets?

Woulda coulda shoulda.

Mike, if these gaskets do get made and put into production, I would bet good money we can all look forward to a post from you stating once again .... something like, 'These should have been done 'here' - or these could have been made cheaper, or whatever.

If this company absconds with anyone's money, that's different. Everyone should bitch. But until then, give it a rest or bring forward your own proposal to remake these, since you must have learned something about how the business of injection molding works during your tenure there. 

I guess now we all know that this is yet another thread you just can't let go.

I give up. Like our President, why not start tweeting about this?

I'll promise to stay out of my own thread (this thread) from now on if you will.

Christ. I suppose your next response will be to ban me and close this thread:)

It will give you something to do while you're sitting on the sidelines, contributing nothing positive to this effort and running everyone down for trying to accomplish or encourage any forward progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ol' 320: Precisely. Why sit around and bicker when we could be contributing towards making things happen? It's not productive, it's not healthy, and frankly it's time that's not very well spent. 

Pre-order form: https://forms.gle/PV5tdZp5K8r23SeG6

The deadline for pre-orders closes on October 15. We'll be collecting a 30% deposit. Once the seals are finished, we'll request the remaining 70% plus shipping. 

And in case anyone didn't see my last post, please drop by to see our booth this November at AAPEX 2019. Las Vegas, Sands Expo Convention Center.  

https://s23.a2zinc.net/clients/glasgow/aapex2019/Public/eBooth.aspx?IndexInList=17&FromPage=Exhibitors.aspx&ParentBoothID=&ListByBooth=true&BoothID=226691

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, mickey1845 said:

ol' 320: Precisely. Why sit around and bicker when we could be contributing towards making things happen? It's not productive, it's not healthy, and frankly it's time that's not very well spent. 

And in case anyone didn't see my last post, please drop by to see our booth this November at AAPEX 2019. Las Vegas, Sands Expo Convention Center.  

Mickey please don't be discouraged by some of the stupid things posted on this page. If you make quality wing window gaskets I guarantee you'll see 100 sets at your price point. There are more of these trucks out there than most people think, their popularity is growing, and people are starting to do high quality builds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, ol' 320 said:

But this company, AAS, is not asking for someone to participate in ownership of the molds. They are just selling parts.

with all the patient discussions on 14 pages of dialogue, people should be past the point of asking questions about who will "own" these molds.

I don't care if they mold them print them, or use a GEnie's wish these gaskets into existence. For $136 a set, if the company in Thailand can grow new vent window gaskets on trees. I just want a set. And in case you have forgotten, this thread was started in 2011.

Interesting to learn NOW that you used to work for an injection mold company. If you care so much about this p=thread that you feel compelled to snipe from the sidelines on every single attempt to  recreate these gaskets, why didn't YOU step forward to make an effort to assist with making new gaskets?

Woulda coulda shoulda.

Mike, if these gaskets do get made and put into production, I would bet good money we can all look forward to a post from you stating once again .... something like, 'These should have been done 'here' - or these could have been made cheaper, or whatever.

If this company absconds with anyone's money, that's different. Everyone should bitch. But until then, give it a rest or bring forward your own proposal to remake these, since you must have learned something about how the business of injection molding works during your tenure there. 

I guess now we all know that this is yet another thread you just can't let go.

I give up. Like our President, why not start tweeting about this?

I'll promise to stay out of my own thread (this thread) from now on if you will.

Christ. I suppose your next response will be to ban me and close this thread:)

It will give you something to do while you're sitting on the sidelines, contributing nothing positive to this effort and running everyone down for trying to accomplish or encourage any forward progress.

Having seen the results of a similar venture in the past my comments are from an abundance of caution. I know you guys are desperate for gaskets and desperate people get tunnel vision and don't think to ask the right questions. In addition they 'see' anything opposed to their mad rush as negative, sniping, running everyone down or stupid. READ what I have posted. Nothing negative just something to think about. No where did I say I know anything about scanning, 3 D or mold making, I made this clear. 

Read what I said about simply trying to be a catalyst to get something rolling. As you say this has been on going for 8 years!!! Neither of us want to be posting about this in 2026. Read where I mentioned....

On 9/16/2019 at 6:09 AM, datzenmike said:

As I said earlier I have no idea about what's involved in making them, probably the least knowledgeable, I admit that. Also have zero involvement in 320s, they are barely known to me and I leave that to you guys. But I read about the problems you have with the wing window seals and others. Sometime you can be too close to a problem and not see a solution. I'm hoping to prime the pump here and get something happening. Maybe shake a few ideas loose for consideration... be a catalyst. I don't know shit about 3D printing but hear it mentioned every day. Can it print a rubbery seal directly without a mold? Test fit and adjust the dimensions for proper fit? Nissan had them made, surely 50 years later we can do better even on a small run? 

Did you even read this....

On 9/16/2019 at 2:08 PM, datzenmike said:

lol it was nothing. 

I have no problems with this thread whatever, and it most certainly should continue to it's own end. My input remains... be careful with overseas makers, and why can't we do it here?

I may be naive in thinking it seems simple enough... just a lot of work. 

This is the second time this week someone hasn't read thoroughly what I posted.

• Like 1

Thanks Matt, your post puts it all into perspective. Working on a solution for eight years apparently amounts to talking about it, and for asking questions I get told I'm " negative, sniping, running everyone down or stupid" 

On 10/30/2011 at 10:29 AM, ol' 320 said:

I am trying to gauge the number of folks who would want to buy new vent window rubbers for L320, NL320, or 310 sedans. To my knowledge, these are not available anywhere.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, wayno said:

You will have at least one visitor, Greg goes to that every year, he said, When I go to SEMA / AAPEX this year, I can scope out the company. If they're even a little legit, they'll be there.

We already paid for a booth and plane tickets. We'll be there. 

I'd also like to invite Mike there too, if he still has doubts. We'll have samples of our other products on display.

• Like 1

Mike, it seems your intentions are good, but i do really think you are detracting from the discussion here. You've made your points. They've been addressed as well as they possibly can. The cash outlay is not much.

I don't care who owns the molds. I don't care if they start selling them out the back door. I don't even care if they are not 100% OEM quality. Something is better than nothing.

As I said earlier, I will buy two sets, but not right now. Cash is not on my side at the moment.

People, please, if you want these parts, don't miss out on this. Everything seems legit and the terms are fair.

• Like 2

Hello everyone, just a quick update: we estimate it'll take us around 60 days for the first trial sample.

Wayno's offer to send window frames is generous and would be very helpful. Perhaps we could arrange a way to pick it up in November during AAPEX?

Daddyoethan: thank you for your interest! You can put in a pre-order here. 

https://forms.gle/PV5tdZp5K8r23SeG6

It'll take around 100-130 days for us to finish the seals. The deadline for pre-orders closes on October 15. We'll be collecting a 30% deposit. Once the seals are finished, we'll request the remaining 70% plus shipping. All seals will be made with EPDM and our products are made to meet or exceed OEM specs.

• Like 2
On 9/25/2019 at 5:02 PM, thisismatt said:

If this works out, there are a bunch of other gaskets that would be nice to reproduce, like side marker gaskets

I think I might have mentioned it before.....there is a UV resistant, flexible filament out now that should work quite well for a lot of the smaller gaskets....such as around the side mirror base and marker lights.  But....if these vent window rubbers actually come about, I would think that should prove this company enough to then have them make a bunch of these other gaskets.  I'm sure nearly every 320 owner would like a new firewall gasket for around the steering column. :)  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, 320 Newb said:

I'm interested in the UV resistant flexible filament stuff. Can anyone post a link?

I didn't have time last night to look it back up.  This isn't the only one on the market, but it's the first one I learned about nearly two years ago.

https://www.formfutura.com/shop/product/flexifil-black-221?category=163

Who knows, it might even work well enough to make a couple of test pieces for the vent rubbers.  I don't know that I'd want this as a permanent solution.

• Like 1

Hey gents. I see a few more pre-orders have been added, that's great. We are still along ways from 100 sets though. After this weekend we'll essentially be down to 15 days and able to get them at the pre-order price. I understand if you're waiting on a payday but otherwise I don't know why you would want to pay more to wait. Until I'm told otherwise I plan to be at AAPEX with the upper wing window frame to the test fit the seals. However if for some reason my pass to AAPEX doesn't pan out or something medically comes up we'll have to find a plan "B" for fit tests. Thank you.

R/

Jerry

• Like 1