Fisch's "Oil Drop" '71 PL521 journal- SOLD

fisch

i can't believe they make you have window washers, my datsuns aren't even equiped with them. i guess the good thing about georgia, is all you need is the car, no title or inspection needed. they just read the vin and if it's not stolen you get a tag. i use to have a nice crystal doorknob in my shed somewhere, never thought it could be a shift knob. i might dig it out for my truck. at least your truck will be perfect when your set to drive it everyday.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh hell yeah, scored some NOS seatcovers for oil drop! One is for a 521 and one is for a 520. They are both bottoms, so I had to make a bottom fit the top by adding a little extra padding tp the upper corners. But I didn't cut it or anything..

They have a 'slightly different embossed pattern from each other, but who cares! They're NOS baby! And the same color.

Interestingly the 521 one is a different pattern than what remains of my original 521 seat too. Guess they changed it up here and there.

They even had the original Nissan slips.

IMG_4560.jpg

Here is a shot of them in, and another shot with a future Datsun Lover in the seat. You can also check out the glass ball shifter I was yapping about. My daughter thinks it is the best part of the truck. But if I can find an old broken Japanese tin robot head I will have to put that in there as a shift knob!

And no, I haven't put the dash in there yet. But it is a black top with a red botom. (Dude Pac we have the same spare 520 dash. I caught a glimpse of yours the other day.)

IMG_4559.jpg

IMG_4557.jpg

Oh man...where did you find the seat covers? What an incredible find..it's like finding $$ on the street!:lol: My 520 dash is wall art at this point,yours looks much better. Kool shift knob too, is it threaded on?

Snagged them from our fellow ratsuner Blownb310. A great guy who gave me a great deal. (Thanks man!) He stumbled on some NOS parts a while back. Some 411 panels too as I remember.

THe knob is one of those with the twist screw on the side to hold it on. But to make the spacing even I had to shim the stick w/ a small piece of threaded table lamp tubing.

BTW I got my EI coil today! Now I just have to find the time to put it in. I kinda want to get it to pass inspection before I start digging into it again cause everytime I dig, I open a can of worms!

I finally got that 520 dash in! You can see some of the painting I've done on the front now. Felt great to yank out that cracked old black 521 dash and add a splash of color.

IMG_4570.jpg

IMG_4574.jpg

Couple detail shots of the paint. Blast off!

IMG_4580.jpg

I see you! Don't know if you can tell, but the eyeball is actually 3D! I made it out of a little brass bell that came out of a 1940's toaster.

IMG_4595.jpg

And my totally awesome wife sewed me some awesome new red vinyl door panels! You can't tell in the photos, but the middle pleated section is that 1950's glitter vinyl like they used to use on kitchen chairs.

IMG_4579.jpg

Found another critter nest in the heater of course! Those little bastards rusted the door that turns the heat off and off. Not the outer door, but the inner one attached top the lever. There is nothing left of it!

Ran into a small issue on the first test run! Got about 5 houses away from my driveway and smoke started pouring out of my dash! I freaked, pulled off and shut her down. I thought there was an engine fire! Grabbed an extinguisher I had in the cab (always a good idea when testing a vehicle) but there was no fire. Figured it had to be a wire inside the cab. Sure enough, the last owner had hooked an aftermarket radio that I had yanked out and a wire I'd missed was exposed and touched the firewall. Fried! They had spliced into the stock wire that went from the stock radio to the key/ignition. That stock wire got fried a bit too on each end. I cut into the harness as far as I could reach and the burnt wire seem to stop as you get to the middle of the wire. I seem to have killed the power before it damaged any other wires thankfully.

I taped up any exposed wire and turned the key. truck fired up, no smoke this time and I got it home asap.

So here is my stupid question, Can I just cut that radio wire at the ignition and unplug it at the fuse at the other end? The radio isn't hooked up anyway. I just want to make sure that wire doesn't need to be there for any other reason. I can't imagine it has any other purpose? All it did was run from the ignition to the radio.

Looking good! The radio circuit probobly powers more than just he radio. As long as you have everything taped off fine is should be good to go. To me its weird that the wire smoke.... The fuse should have blown???? I think you should check your fuses and make sure there is no tin foil on them :D Loose wires shouldn't be scary if there are fuses. They should be taken care of.

To me its weird that the wire smoke.... The fuse should have blown???? I think you should check your fuses and make sure there is no tin foil on them :D Loose wires shouldn't be scary if there are fuses. They should be taken care of.

Thanks Jeff! Basically they spliced into the radio ignition wire for the new radio. The splice was a t-connector between the fuse on the stock wire and the ignition. The splice wire was a fuse wire too, but half of the plastic thing that held the fuse was missing, so i had the end of the wire, that should have touched a fuse, touch the firewall instead.

Does this make sense? Cause you know I have no idea what I am talking about!

Dudes. y'all rock for throwing the love my way. I really appreciate it.

AND BIG NEWS- I passed inspection. Crossed everything off their list and got me a sticker!

Now I know I've told you how rare Datsuns are in the north east. Look how the inspection guy spelled Datsun on my sticker!

IMG_4561.jpg

Feels great!

And I had no idea how much attention this lil rig would get. Not only did the grumpy old inspection guy love my truck. But in the three times I've had it on the road (never more than three miles from home) twice dudes in big ass Fords slamed on the brakes to gawk and smile!

Their expression is hard to identify. It is a cross between laughter, and "man that is pretty freakin cool". Kinda like when you are aroung a pug dog for the first time.

I inspected that fried radio wire all the way through the harness tonight. Looks pretty damn good. Only the ends took the damage. I taped the whole thing up anyway and isolated it from the main harness so I can switch it out if need be.

Dudes. y'all rock for throwing the love my way. I really appreciate it.

AND BIG NEWS- I passed inspection. Crossed everything off their list and got me a sticker!

Now I know I've told you how rare Datsuns are in the north east. Look how the inspection guy spelled Datsun on my sticker!

The inspector spelled it right :D

He was referring to DAT type 51 nicknamed Datson

Now it's official!! Were all so glad you have that decal now, is it a yearly thing you have to do from here on out?

Every single year. Don't y'all have it tough in cali too?

Your pinstriping is great! I love the 3d eyeball i think it adds to your dash big time. You ended up getting me addicted to pinstriping, right after i saw your dash i went out and got me a mack brush and have been striping almost everyday. Im loving how your entire truck is like a traditional theme almost every part of it looks like it was out of the 50's or 60's, down to the detail of the glitter vinyl. Its awesome to put it simply!:D

Its awesome to put it simply!:D

Thanks guys!

Pac, I can't believe I actually have it harder than the californians! No wonder y'all have so many damn hotrods, I thought it was the weather!

HAcked- I can't wait to see how you stripe your truck!

Twisted- Thanks! Any complement from you is a feather for my cap for sure. Your fab skills make me feel like a toddler with a plastic hammer trying to get a square peg through a round hole!

Hell that goes for all three of y'all!

Guest jaimesix
Snagged them from our fellow ratsuner Blownb310....

Blownb310 has a cool B210 with a nice A series engine .

Jaime.________________________________________________________

Blownb310 has a cool B210 with a nice A series engine .

Jaime.________________________________________________________

Yes, it is most excellent. He has a thread on here where he is tearing it up on a frozen lake.