Fisch's "Oil Drop" '71 PL521 journal- SOLD

fisch

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

..hhmm....thought I was subscribed to this thread at one point. Oh well....I am now :)

Very creative!!

So go get a new toilet seat...mount a 3' pipe to it for a handle.....take it with you for your next inspection.....................You can then help them pry their heads out of their butts with it!! :) Geez...some states get pretty ridiculous with their requirements! The mirror req isn't one of them...... :)

Thanks guys! Just got a decal from 71DIMER. Gave it the place of honor on the fender. Just in time for the local cruise night.

The car show was great tonight. The organizers asked me to park in the back, prolly didn't want me smelling up the $100k cars, but who cares, I got the most supportive feedback from the spectators yet. A 71 datsun is rarer that a 32 Ford in this area of the country!

RatsunDecal.jpg

At the show, my buddy took some photos!

6775_143087245952_698030952_3431075_4358075_n.jpg

6775_143090840952_698030952_3431180_4161621_n.jpg

My daughter ready just in case oildrop goes up in flames!

6775_143090985952_698030952_3431186_4137667_n.jpg

I got to sit in a helllakool Rat truck. Funny, so many of these cars have "Do not touch" signs. Me and this guy were like, "Please touch our cars! It just adds patina!"

6775_143091155952_698030952_3431193_216575_n.jpg

Weird rules in this state, I don't think you need a hood for cars earlier than a certain date. Same with fenders.

But the guy with the rat truck above has friends with an inspection station! He said he got pulled over on the interstate once and the trooper wrote up a list of infractions and as cooly as possible he said, "With all due respect, I know you are just trying to do your job, but I did alot of research before taking on this build, and the things you have listed are not required for a truck this old." The cop went back to his cruiser and called home base, came back and told the guy he was indeed right and his truck does not need all the stuff he'd written him up for.

Hell that truck has no seats, just cushions and no seatbelts!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/Fischart/Datsun%20521/TailgateWoe.jpg

You wouldn't want to cut yourself on that rusty tailgate.:eek:

Ha I should have that in my thread! I wrote all that on the tailgate to convince tjaad to mail me a new tailgate across the country! I never posted it though!

Now indeed I have a swell, although bare metal 520 gate in its place.

TailgateWoe.jpg

Ha I should have that in my thread! I wrote all that on the tailgate to convince tjaad to mail me a new tailgate across the country! I never posted it though!

Now indeed I have a swell, although bare metal 520 gate in its place.

TailgateWoe.jpg

Just take it off, pass inspection and put it back on!!! I am so glad CA doesn't have inspection. Although with some of the illegal alien clown cars on the freeways maybe they should...

Just take it off, pass inspection and put it back on!!! I am so glad CA doesn't have inspection. Although with some of the illegal alien clown cars on the freeways maybe they should...

Gotta say, when I lived in GA where they had no inspections, some of the wrecks on the road made me fear for my life!!

• 1 year later...

fisch... haven't talked to ya in a while. i agree, living in ga it's scary sometimes to see what people will actually drive around in. it bugs the crap outta me when i jump on the interstate only to come upon somebody driving something that's smoking and whining and rattling and worst of all, holding up traffic. that minimum 45 mph thing gets tested alot around here. anyway, had to say one more time, love the touches you've given this truck. and really love that you're actually driving it. there's some days i get sad when i look behind the shop and see my 521 just sittin there killin grass. but you, and really everybody on here, have made me keep it this long (one day i will actually get a tag on it and drive it, life keeps gettin in the way). otherwise i think i would've scrapped it long ago. keep it up man.

Thanks dudes! (And Tnip, glad you are back around man!) Alas the 521 has only been out of the garage once this year. :( It is a runner, but has a leaky rear oil seal, runs terrible when cold, and needs a new heart transplant, which I have on the engine stand. But no time to do anything, and speaking of inspections, it needs one! But my daily Suzuki swift GTi just failed and needs a new exhaust, so that has to come first.

Just yesterday I was pondering if I should sell the 521. And simply focus on the 1959 when I have the time, putting the money from oil drop into it. I have so little time for the garage right now, and almost feel guilty for my dattos.

But we all go through this, and I need to just ignore those feelings, right!!! :D

agreed. if you have the space, keep it. use it to haul off the trash a few times a month haha. when you get the 59 to concours level you'll need a tow rig anyway.. hahaha. you just have to keep remembering how rare that 521 is around you and how much custom stuff you've already done to it. like you said, we all think about getting rid of stuff every once in a while, and the people that actually do end up regretting it later most of the time. ;)

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Oh yeah Oil Drop is still hanging in there. In the winter I make a 2 car garage a 3 or 4 car garage by using wheel dollies and shoving my tiny Datsuns into corners! So this puppy is buried!

But the snow is melting! There is hope and an engine for oildrop on the stand. Unfortunately he is third in line.

1. Get the 510 on the road and chilling with some graphics.

2. Get the 1959 at least yard driving. It's be great to get it on the road too!

3. Engine swap for Oil Drop!

• Like 1

I think I can get all 3 of my Datsuns on one side of the garage (I have the extra width of a stairway on one side. But currently the '59 is up on jackstands and hogging realestate.

But in the meantime, somehow I talked the wife into giving up her minivan's spot for the winter so the 510 can sleep in shelter.

This was before I tucked the 521 behind the '59.

IMG_0250.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yeah Oil Drop is still hanging in there. In the winter I make a 2 car garage a 3 or 4 car garage by using wheel dollies and shoving my tiny Datsuns into corners! So this puppy is buried!

But the snow is melting! There is hope and an engine for oildrop on the stand. Unfortunately he is third in line.

1. Get the 510 on the road and chilling with some graphics.

2. Get the 1959 at least yard driving. It's be great to get it on the road too!

3. Engine swap for Oil Drop!

haha! I shall do the same next winter. I have two dimes, two trucks and a roadster to tuck in my 2 car garage!

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...