Fisch's "Oil Drop" '71 PL521 journal- SOLD

fisch

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if they did but maybe 510 ones will fit / look ok. May be easier to find too [ebay]. Or install a HUGE 50's style car bumper like my friends 64 320 had when he got it...:lol:

Holy crap that looks like a dinosaur bone on there! To funny! Looks like it would lift the rear wheels off the ground!

BEt 510's would fit. I've looked at alot of other makes of guards, even domestic, but I'd be guessing if they would be close enough. If I found them cheap enough I'd give it a shot though!

• 3 weeks later...

I had a hood ornament with no tabs for the five-two-one, so I thought of an interesting way to mount it!

That's two more skulls for the count! Though I am starting to get an itch to do a little tiki too!

I did a simple write up on it here:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?p=57322#post57322

Pics

MyBAdge2.jpg

MyFrontend.jpg

And I am PSYCHED to report my ride is finally legal with plates! I drove it on a real road the other day! She is running rough so it is about time I take that EI dist and weber off the shelf and put em to use. Now I just have to pass inspection... wish me luck! (Yay no smog though!)

That homemade wide whitewall dosnt look as bad as I thought it would, lol. Is it actually smooth like a real whitewall too, or is it really rough like you'd think sanded down rubber would be? Anyway, truck is coming along, I cant wait to see it semi done!! (Are they ever all the way done?)

That homemade wide whitewall dosnt look as bad as I thought it would, lol. Is it actually smooth like a real whitewall too, or is it really rough like you'd think sanded down rubber would be? Anyway, truck is coming along, I cant wait to see it semi done!! (Are they ever all the way done?)

Thanks Shane, I was still getting my technique down with the fronts so they are more wavy and uneven than the backs. The backs are pretty smooth though!

But unless you are right up on them, you won't pay them much attention either way. Plus I distracted the viewer with the orange wheels!!

And for anyone else reading this is interested in how I made the white walls, I will add this link for the write up.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=4249

My first attempt at pin striping y'all! Been staring at this 520 dash for Oildrop FOREVER trying to figure out what I want to do. I've done alot of painting in my day, but never pinstriping. That is a long brush to control and there is a steep learning curve to pull those lines smooth. (I have a long way to go.) But it is a blast and I am fast becoming addicted!

Hope you dig! I am working on the front now and will update when I get it done.

My520DashTop-1.jpg

My first attempt at pin striping y'all! Been staring at this 520 dash for Oildrop FOREVER trying to figure out what I want to do. I've done alot of painting in my day, but never pinstriping. That is a long brush to control and there is a steep learning curve to pull those lines smooth. (I have a long way to go.) But it is a blast and I am fast becoming addicted!

Hope you dig! I am working on the front now and will update when I get it done.

My520DashTop-1.jpg

that my friend is absolutely F'n awesome :cool:

great job on the dash man! i am loving all the art you are doing. can you post a pic of the whole truck now that you have the painted wheels and whitewalls? i'm going to make my whitewalls soon.

Thanks Charlie! I will post pics soon of the whole truck I hope. But I want to take it to this special spot for a backdrop. But I am just driving this for the first time and i am having a hell of a time. One step forward two steps back. Something is up with my trans or clutch or both at the moment. I was just bitching about it here.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=4436

Sometimes I feel like it will never be on the road... But I want to save that final photo shoot for when it is really ready!

Glad you are rockin the whites! Look forward to seeing it!

Holy jeez love the dash!!! Where did you find the skull/face designs? For a 1st timer the pinstriping came out awesome too! Im inspired.

Thanks pac! I just bought two years of Old Skool Rodz magazine on ebay. Every issue is jam packed with inspiration. So i soaked it all in, set them aside, and just made up the design. I was also looking at a little Kabuki japanese theater makeup. And I did the sun rays around the faces kinda to riff on the rising sun flag.

I have a a retro rocket ship painted around the ignition key, and am thinking of playing on the famous eyeball with wings for above the radio, but we'll see! But I guess I gotta stop painting for a sec and straighten out this clutch issue!

Guest jaimesix

I just checked out this thread. That was a cool find. Very nice truck. A steal. You got an offy manifold and a Weber, that is cool.

I like the military wheels, very nice. You know you can have those wheels widened to your specs,with the offset you need. That would be very nice, wide militaries.

Nice truck, congratulations.:)

Jaime._______________________________________________________

wow, it looks like its really coming along. Love the pinstriping on the dash, i ended up making a mexican blanket cover for the top of mine. Thats so crazy you started up pinstriping because i started too, i didnt really have the right equipment so it didnt turn out as good, i just used a letering brush and some model paint. What paint did you use, one shot? Once i get good enough i want to pinstripe the cowl in the engine bay around where one of the metal tags mount, that would be cool if you did some pinstriping in other places on your truck.

About the whitewalls being rough. If theyre rough as in they feel rough, ive heard from a couple of my buddys you can sand them with finer and finer and i guess even wet sand them to get them to be nice and smooth instead of rough and furry.

Oildrops coming along great keep it up fisch!

Thanks guys!

HAcked, my old skool brother, I am using Ronan Paint at the moment, but the red line on the dash is good ol testors model paint! And I am using a Kafka #3 brush, but I've used a little craft store liner brush here and there too.

I can say that testors doesn't cover as well as Ronan, it seems a little thinner. But they smell the same, that is for sure!!

Thanks jeff for suggesting my slave pushrod wasn't adjusted correctly. You were right! Adjusted it, took it for a spin a mile down the road (to get it inspected), and although I haven't hit a big hill with it since adjusting, there was no clutch slip, and it felt beter. My nightmare thoughts of big dollar trans/clutch swaps vanished with a twist of an adjuster bolt!

Now as to the inspection... I failed! But I knew I would, it was just a matter of how many infractions. I had 7 days to get it inspected and today was the last day.

Here's why:

-Low beam out on left and highbeam on right- easy fix (as long as there aren't wiring issues.)

- cracked shifter boot, and missing floor hole plugs- I have both, no problemo.

-side marker light out- pretty sure I will need a new one, it is pretty cracked back there, but I will see if I can jerryrig it.

-No washer fluid- i was hoping this wasn't required. I have the kangaroo bag, the water hose that goes to the jet was melted in two for some odd reason. Will try to just replace the hose, but I am not 100% sure that the pump is working. Inspector said he couldn't hear anything when he used it, and I've not tried it. Worst case he said there are aftermarket ones out there...

and... THAT"S IT! He thought I could pack the front suspension with grease to clean up some of the slop, but it wan't bad enough to fail me.

I don't know what kind of laundry list I expected, but I feel like I am getting off easy!

I have 60 days to get it reinspected for free. The push goes on, but it feels like litte stuff now. KNOCK ON WOOD!!!

Scheeze, when bringing a datto back for hibernation, nothing is a quick job.

IF you've been following the thread you know I failed inspection for a few reasons including one high beam and one low being out. So I go to change the lamps and this is what I find waiting behind both sets of headlights. I left the screw drive in for scale. (And this doesn't even include the stuff I managed to get with the vaccuum.)

ChipNEst.jpg

I am shocked I didn't get a fire!

Thankfully no critters were home, just a few worms. There was three inches thick of hard black poop-pee dirt-crap in areas under the soft fluff, that I had to chisle apart to get it out.Reaching my hand in there was like the 80's flash Gordon movie when Flash had to stick his hand in a tree trunk hole and hope there wasn't a razor tooth creature waiting inside for a snack.

As you can imagine, my headlight issue wasn't just burnt lamps.

They chewed the driver high-beam black wire all the way off. I managed to got that reattached.

They stripped 10" of one of the passenger low beam red wires, and 3" of the other red wire and random spots here and there. I taped up everything.

I do have lights working now, but I have one remaining issue that wrote about here.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=4459

I'd appreciate any advise y'all!

I feel like I have been posting y'all's ears off, but that just means I am really close to streeting this thing!!!

2eDeYe;58400']Nice job on the inspection... :)

Cracked shifter boot...sheesh :P

Tell me about it!! None of my cars would be on the road if we had those kind of inspections! I guess its a good thing :D

Tell me about it!! None of my cars would be on the road if we had those kind of inspections! I guess its a good thing :D

I know, it is a pain in the ass. But the good news is I've crossed everything off my list except the kangaroo windshield washer. Thankfully Dan (aka dat521gatherer) is hooking me up with a functioning one.

I pulled my washer motor out of the bottom of the bag, and broke off a spout in the process.:( But it was dead anyway. I got the frozen pump to spin again as it was indeed stuck. Alas, hooking it up directly to the battery did not make it spin. and I can't get an ohm reading.

Putting the new shifter boot on did alot to make the shifter feel less sloppy. (But I do have a grade 8 bolt handy if I want to dig down there and tighten it up more.) Saddly I had to totally destroy my original shift knob in the process. But that is ok, I replaced it with a big ass glass ball curtain rod end on there which gives oildrop a little class! Some if the ol skool rod guys use an antique marble doorknobs for their shifters.

Still gotta dial in my brakes a bit more, but the inspection place didn't fail me on that! Ironic, cause they just couldn't let the window washer slide, or teh missing floor plugs (which have been replaced)...