Fisch's "Oil Drop" '71 PL521 journal- SOLD

fisch

I know some of us would rather take these off than put them on, but I am TOTALLY psyched to report that I just scored some NIB 521 bumperguards!

The seller says the box reads "GEM GUARDIAN 1971-72 Datsun Light Truck FRONT Bumper Guards" And if anyone is looking for some down the road, the probally extinct part # is Stock No.551-159

If you've followed my oildrop thread at all, you know I've wanted some of these to help fill out the front around the bumper mounted puketank. I was trying to figure out what might fit from other cars. And low and behold, some guards actually meant for the truck! I didn't even know they made them!

Now I just have to wait for them to ship.

Oh and the best part, $9.99!!

MyBumperguards.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Yeah man...bumper guards are whats up!:cool:

I found a mid 60's Fiat 1000 in a JY the other day and it had a sweet front bumper on it...so I yanked that sucka off quick for the back of my 1958 Simca, in place of the wrinkled up mess on there now. The bumper had some very sweet smallish chrome bumper guards though. While these do not fit very well for the rear of my Simca, they look freekin stellar on the front of my 521! They have a little rubber strip down the front of them. They will go on asap.:D

I will get pics asap too.

Hey Fisch, still got those artillery rims? I have been looking for a set of those for my truck for a long time. you wanna sell em to me?:rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yeah man...bumper guards are whats up!:cool:

Hey Fisch, still got those artillery rims? I have been looking for a set of those for my truck for a long time. you wanna sell em to me?:rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks Denver! Yeah I should put that pic of my front end w/ bumper guards in this thread. But of course the graphics on the hood still aren't real! i was really impressed with these bumper guards. The cut out in them was precisely the profile of the actual bumper and came with little rubber trim for the edges so they wouldn't rattle.

I still do have the Chevy artilleries. I guess I have this dream to use them someday, but don't know when. Or this idea I will get them widened and be able to put lower profile tires on them. They actually won't fit out trucks because you can only get tall skinny tires for them. Though I am sure that would be ok in the back.

I reckon i would sell them if I got the right offer, though they'd cost alot to ship. And I've since learned that they made a 16" (or was it 15") that could fit modern tires. Those usually go for alot more money. And they are making modern repros of them now in a 15" that are ready to rock modern rubber. Hell buy a set of those and I will trade you Denver!!

Here is the link:

http://www.rallyamerica.com/artillary.html

IMG_4686.jpg

Thanks Charlie! I will post pics soon of the whole truck I hope. But I want to take it to this special spot for a backdrop. But I am just driving this for the first time and i am having a hell of a time.

Sometimes I feel like it will never be on the road... But I want to save that final photo shoot for when it is really ready!

still waitin on them pics Fisch! still hadn't found that special spot?

Ha! Thanks for asking! Well I was hoping to get it lowered before I did a real photoshoot. BUT I do have some pics I took at the one car meet I've been to w/ it so far. IT got an interesting reaction... Almost like they would need a tetnus shot if they got too close. But little kids loved it and love the oil drop guy!

These are pre-bumper guards though!

oildrop5.jpg

oildrop4.jpg

oildrop2.jpg

oildrop1.jpg

I know you have some chebby 15's and some moons, but do you have a set of dishes for those stock rims?

Indeed! But at the moment I am using bullet style lug nuts and didn't want to cover them up, so they are sitting on a shelf but I will put them on sooner or later!

The look of a stock rim with no caps is really groovy man! Even though I have caps, I let em' sit on a shelf! Looks more "ratty" that way:D

I will look into the artillery rims fisch..i found a set here in colorado, but they were way more than I could afford. the tires measured 27 inches on rims...that is around 3 inches taller than my stock 14's with 195/75's on em'.

I haven't measured my 17 inch rims with the Yokohama Avid H4s yet...probably even shorter. I thought that even with tall skinny white walls they would look RAD!:cool:

My first attempt at pin striping y'all! Been staring at this 520 dash for Oildrop FOREVER trying to figure out what I want to do. I've done alot of painting in my day, but never pinstriping. That is a long brush to control and there is a steep learning curve to pull those lines smooth. (I have a long way to go.) But it is a blast and I am fast becoming addicted!

Hope you dig! I am working on the front now and will update when I get it done.

My520DashTop-1.jpg

i wish that there was somebody that did pin striping in my area cuz this shiz is bad fucking ass!!! great work!!!

• 3 months later...

Nutin! But thanks for asking SD!

I've been a bit of a datto slacker. Everytime I walk in the garage I apologize to my truck. Last time I took it out it barffed out the overflow tube again, maybe it is nothing (temp gague was fine), might just be just purging exess, but it hadn't done it over the few prior drives of equal or longer durations. And I've flushed it twice. Guess I got a little frustrated, then got bogged down in art deadlines, burried in snow and ice...

But I've been thinking alot more about it lately, so I think the flame is rekindling. I think that is how it is for a bunch of us. We get so into it, then get frustrated, then take a break, and start the cycle again.

I think the worst thing (and the best) thing I did was get another car. A fun little Suzuki Swift Gti. I love it, but now don't have the motiviation of the 521 being my only mode of transportation. (The wife drives the minivan.)

Sometimes it is better when you have no choice but to get that datto on the road again!!!

You are the Artist Extrorinaire! Is there any thing you can't do when it comes to art. Your first "attempt" at pinstripping is fabulous. If I had the tallent you have in one of your little fingers I would be happy. Your art is out of this world. Your dash is a 1 of a kind now and is in my opinion the best and most original I have ever seen.

Great hood graphics to. You are a true artist. Thank you for sharing your tallent with the world!

Charlie

Sometimes it is better when you have no choice but to get that datto on the road again!!!

I know that too well! I get nervious when I only have one running datto, when driving many miles to work everyday. For some reason for being so old they do pretty good.

Glad you see you back again too :D

Fisch, just went through your thread. That ol' truck is lovin life. Your art work is flowing out all over the place. I love it ! Old school pin stripes and skulls eyes and a bunch of Hmmm what am I gonna do next. The Drop can sit on the side lines and let the new one eat the salt for a while, spring is coming and you will need to haul some stuff.

I will get something going on my Rats thread wise.

Road trip this summer ...... somewhere

Peace Man, Jeff

Hey dtauman, welcome! The puke tank is the radiator overflow. The early datsuns just had a tube from the radiator that dumped coolent on the ground. Mine has enough of a habit of it that I wanted to put a tank on it. Most are mounted inside the engine bay, but I wanted mine on the front.

Jeff, thanks man! I love that you are out under your 620 in this cold and snow, while I am being a wuss and waiting till spring!!

• 2 weeks later...
My first attempt at pin striping y'all!

My520DashTop-1.jpg

I ran across this thread from another thread.

If that's your first attempt at pinstriping, that is unreal..That is a REALLY cool design too..

I can see you go to car shows and such..If I was you and had that talent, I'd be putting me up a little sign stating that I pinstriped cars for cash. You'd have the "rat rod" and Day 2 oriented muscle car guys lining up for a pinstripe job like that...Seriously. THat is GREAT work, and your little truck looks great. Looks like the state of MA doesn't know how to spell DatSUn :)

Thanks man! I loved striping that dash! I prolly had a little leg up since I do art for my everyday gig, but it is usually on canvas or illustration board (and usually not lines)!

And even with that experience, there is totally a learning curve to puling those lines. I see the real stripers pinch that long tailed brush between their thumb and pointer finger and just lay it out! I held the brush like a pencil.

I've thought about walking around with a paint kit at carshows, but that is a lot of pressure on the spot!

I appreciate the kudos though! THanks man!