His first ride was in a Datsun..

He was 5 weeks old when I picked him up, "Free to good home" read the ad in the paper. I picked him out cuz he was the only male pup left that had white on him. I got his name from a Star Trek: TNG episode, :lol: . Jayden was gonna be his name. On the way home from Baker City to Durkee the little guy took a puppy :poop: on the bench seat of my longbed 620. The year was 1996, I was 20.

The first 2 years of Jay's life were kinda tough. I was not truck driving yet so he would stay at home while I worked 10 hour shifts, usually night shift. On weekends we would go to the parents place where he would dig holes, chew stuff up and all the other things Labs love to do. I cured him of diggin holes after all other forms of discipline failed. Caught him in the act of digging, through him in the Datsun and took him to the vet to get nuetered. He neer dug another hole in his life!!

When he was about 2 and a half we went truck driving. 7 years, a million miles and many adventures later he became the best friend I have ever had. We traveled all the Lower 48. Jayden occupied the passenger seat, snottin up the window, barking at other dogs or any person that would point at him :lol: . He was big enough and had a loud enough bark that he made a good security system as well. We would get our exercise every day in various truck stops or other places by playin frisbee or with his favorite stuffed animal duck.

DSC00006.jpg

I do believe he may have even saved my life one day in Illinois. I had to get under the trailer for some reason real quick and when I came out I came up too soon and whacked my head on the trailer. I was bleeding from a bad cut and made it into the truck. I got the bleeding stopped, the next thing I remember was waking up with Jayden licking my face. I looked at the clock and 30 minutes had gone by. I had layed down without thinking and I guess blacked out. Jayden had never done that before nor has he done it since then.

Jay was with me everywhere I went, camping, horseback riding, work, you name it. Good times and bad, didn't matter, he was there with a happy face and a wagging tale. We even survived a major truck accident in Wyoming in 2003 :o . Another truck came across the freeway median and stopped with its trailer all the way across both lanes of road. I hit the truck and weent into the ditch and rolledd my truck on its side. Jay was laying on the bed and wound up buried underneath the mattress and everything that fell outta the cubbys in the sleeper. When the emt people were tryng to take care of me Jay was trying to protect me by snarling and barking at them. He had to be restrained, poor guy was just doin his job. Then he could not ride in the ambulance with me so he had to ride in a cop car to the pound and spend the night there :o . The only time he was in jail :)

Our lives changed in 2004 when we moved back to Baker. I got married and had a daughter. Also got a day job where he could not go with me. It was ok, he made the most of it. My daughter has grown up loving him and he has always been great with kids.

I could go on and on with stories of Jayden but that may take all night or longer.

I am posting this with a very heavy heart. Jayden will take his last ride tomorrow to the vet. It will be in a Datsun of course.

Jayden just turned 15 on July 31st. He has developed severe kidney disease, anemia and has very weak hips. He does not eat anything anymore. He spent the last few days in the vet hooked up to an IV. His time has come and thus a huge chapter of my life will close.

Right now he is here at home at my feet spending his last night at home with his family. He won't even eat his favorite ice cream anymore :( He has dropped from 75 pounds to just 56.

Here is a few more pics

69.jpg

Christmas train 2009 Sumpter, Oregon

7E.jpg

Picture097.jpg

datsun011.jpg

Thank you for reading this. I'm sorry if its boring, I know not everyone likes dogs but to me they are family.

I' gonna go spend the last few hours with my bud...

• Like 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, this is heartbreaking news. Dogs are so family oriented, is it any wonder they become members of the family? Their loss is felt like the loss of a loved one and they are. Give yourself plenty of time to grieve. My thoughts are with you.

mike

• Like 1

:crying: Thanks, now I'm fucking crying! Gosh!

Sorry about your buddy. It's never an easy thing to lose a family pet, especially when it's been your best friend for years. I am not looking forward to when our time comes with our two current mutts. But, at least you gave him a great life and he was always there by your side. That time and those memories are irreplaceable and Jayden will always live on in your memories.

Jayden

I have had a heavy heart since you told me about this earlier this week........this was a great story, and one I have lived through as well. These furry friends that we have become more than family, more than friends and companions. I have had Jake since he was 5 weeks old, and he was on the brink of death. It will be a sad day when he departs.

Hang in there, grieve for your friend, but remember the great stuff, just like you have been!

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words guys....and gals.

Just got back.............fuck that was tough :crying:

He ate 3 biscuts at the gas station this morning, first time he had eatin anything solid in a week

DSC01969.jpg

DSC01967.jpg

July 31st 1996 to August 6th 2011

RIP Jayden

Thanks for the kind words guys....and gals.

Just got back.............fuck that was tough :crying:

He ate 3 biscuts at the gas station this morning, first time he had eatin anything solid in a week

DSC01969.jpg

DSC01967.jpg

July 31st 1996 to August 6th 2011

RIP Jayden

My girl Pepper sends her loving condolances....

Pepper2.jpg

Our dogs love us as God does~ UNCONDITIONALLY!

There's a lesson in life to learn here.....

My prayers are with you, my friend~

Peace~

Scott

Wow, that was a tough read cuz I got 2 older dogs right now so......I feel for ya man. On the up side, sounds like that dog had an awesome ride.

• 1 month later...

I am right with you man. We've lost a number of our dogs over the years, and not a one of them was ever easy. My condolences to you and yours.

By the sounds of it, you two had a hell of a good time together, and that will last forever. Just remember, death is only the beginning, and your faithful friend is still watching over you and your family.

• 4 weeks later...