77 longbox build thread

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When things get settled down, I will compile a comprehensive list. I have many more detailed oics of modifications made etc. You need to understnad, while I do have part numbers from some things used, there was A LOT of things that I just grabbed off of old project leftovers laying around, modifying existing things (heater hoses) and later using pieces of original things tha thad been cut in different areas (modified the PCV system with a curved piece of cut stock heater hose). The wiring was a very simple affair, with just 3 relays needed, fuse holders, a power probe and some patience with a wiring schematic.

I work faster that many can comprehend, and I seriously am approaching 120 hours in the last 7 days on this project. I am paying a lot of attention to detail, obviously that is taking much more time than just throwing it together.

A quick Summation thusfar:

KA24e engine and trans from a pickup (1993)

240SX intake, wiring harness and ECU (1990)

Fuel tank and pump from donor truck

Radiator from a mid 80's VW rabbit (i think.....it was under the hood of a rabbit, loose in the j/y and has vw stamped on it anyhow)

In front of radiator from a mid to late 90's volvo turbo wagon, the big fan, not the smaller condenser helper fans

Throttle cable from donor truck

Misc pieces of molded rubber hose (heater PCV radiator) from donor truck

a few galvanized 90 degree brackets (about 2x2 available at hardware stores)for making radiator/fan mounts

a few standard single pull double throw automotive relays

a basic understanding of automotive electrical

your driveline lengthened if you use the HB trans.....If yoy want to do a bell swap, be my guest, but check other threads for that info, I have no clue

You will need:

A decent welder

A die grinder with spur bits and cutoff wheel

A side head or bench grinder (both prefferably)

Automotive wiring tools

A tape measure

Lots of 3m tartan black tape

Zip ties for fastening wiring

Te upper rad hose can be modified from the existing stock stuff, possibly the lower too, however I cut up too much trying a different radiator. I will supply a part number for the one I used later on in an updated post, or update this one.

a 3/4 inch 90 degree coolant elbow for the heater hose

Thats all I can think about.....there will be more but I also will answer any questions that anyone has

• Like 2

Alright! Well I took a couple vacation days and went out of town, but was back this afternoon to button up some more things....namely I built a downpipe for the exhaust and hooked up the tach. The wiring is ready for its final permanent hookups,and of course the driveline is still holding me up. I did run it for about half an hour, letting the lifters bleed out and quiet down, bleeding the cooling system and checking the alt output, which shows the alternator not charging, so I need to figure out wtf is going on there. So here is an updated running video, so you can see that things are coming along nicely!

th_2011-08-11_20-07-33_346.jpg

• Like 1

Well, if I can facilitate the betterment of Datsun engine bays everywhere, I think I am doing the world a favor. It actually only took me about 5 hours to prep and paint it all....not bad considering. It took a ton of material though, lots of surface area all in all. Thanks for the compliments Larry. Move closer and we will get yours done too LOL!!

• Like 2