The next episode.

izzo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New thermostat, flushed rad, fresh anti-freeze. Still gets a little warm but nothing bad.

Some kicker CVR 12" woofers. Nothing to serious, but should pound in that truck. Just need to goto raphs and pickup the radio, then find an amp.

IMG_20110716_190539.jpg

2 12"s is nothing? especially in a cab through truck like yours? Being that they are a decent brand of sub, those will probably get a bit annoying after awhile.

I have been contemplating between 2 10"s or 1 12.

Damn thing is still getting hot at an idle. I flushed it many times and nothing but clean water came out. all fresh anti-freeze went back in with a new thermostat.

I think i have a water pump i can throw in there that should be good. Any other ideas? Water pumps the last thing i can think of on the system that would need to be replace (besides the radiator). Heater works fine. Id really hate to drain the anit-freeze :\

Note: Its fine when im driving, just at a stand still. I noticed it was up pretty high on the gauge, it seemed to drop a little when i revved it out for 10-15 seconds...

Izzo ,,, when I cleaned out my L series in my Z car ,,, I popped the freeze plugs ,,, AND ,,, 3 of the walls between the cylinders were STUFFED with debris :blink: ,,, 1 hour later and nearly a half a yogurt cup of rust/debris came out between the cylinders alone ,,,

Also is your engine bored ? ,,, over boring can cause heat issues ,,,

Have your radiator pressure tested ? ( it's probably fine ) ,,, or dipped ( since they can get restricted but still flow ok ) ?

Do you have leak that is causing air bubbles for false readings ?

Timing Advanced too far ?

Plugged exhaust ( partially or fully ) causing some back pressure ?

IDK ,, sorry man Good luck ! :)

I have a amp and sub for my truck, but no place to put them :lol:

you have the space, make a ground pounding db dragger! :rolleyes:

ive got an 8 inch in a wedge box im putting behind my passenger seat, then an amp behind the drivers seat along with some tweeters. i just need to figure out where to put speakers.....

Stock L20, no leaks. Never have to add any water. Has an overflow tank too so when it gets hot it should push/pull water back in. Radiator looked really clean up top. water was slightly orange when i first popped the petcock off.

Ill check the timing on it friday, but i dont think thats it. Ill text the previous owner and ask him if he put in a new water pump or not, see what he says.

I have a water pump with clutch fan you can have,,,,if its the right size. I can take a picture and take a better look at it tomorrow.

Cool man, please do and let me know! truck used to be an automatic... only reason i can see why there was a clutch fan on it (5sp now..)

Got. A fan shroud?

Is the clutch fan good ? They can leak out the fluid in side and make your truck over heat

Has a fan shroud (surprising lol) And rob replaced the water pump this year. Should be ok i'd think, but he said it was an o'reilly pump. I should have a new water pump that isn't a clutch fan, i'd need to source a pulley and fan for it.

Tim, a clutch fan is a good thing. Free horsepower and it cools only when you really need it. DON'T GO BACKWARDS WITH A NON-CLUTCHED ONE! Sorry, didn't mean to yell at you. lol

If you had orange/rust colored water in there at first inspection, then chances are there was air in the system allowing it to rust and possibly get that nice jello looking crap that DTP was talking about. My L16 had a bunch of crap behind the freeze plugs when I tore it down as well. That might be a good next step. Look into some ideas for flushing out the block without pulling the plugs. You can always pull them as a last resort.

EDIT: Just above the starter is a plug that I BELIEVE is for draining the block of it's coolant. PERHAPS you could adapt something for a garden hose to force water in to the block near the cylinder walls. Drop your lower radiator hose and see what comes out. Might be a cheap and fairly easy way to check.

Tim, if i am reading this right, you have a warm running truck ONLY when stopped. And it is just fine when the truck is driving.

Is this correct?

There is only one thing different in the cooling system from when it is parked to when it is driving. That is air-flow over the radiator. In a clutch fan system the fan is doing nothing over 20-25 mph. When parked is when it is required to make the air flow past the radiator. Get a good clutch fan on there to get the needed airflow to cool the motor.

Ya, the local show will assess it for free, but remember that they will ALWAYS find something wrong. They are going to remove the top tank to inspect it and then tell you what is needed and when you dont want to spend money, you will have a radiator that is in multiple pieces.

Does your clutch style water pump have a removable front cover? Four little phillips screws. Remove that cover, put some grease in there, this causes the fan to be more like a fixed fan, and moves more air. Free, and you can see if it helps the cooling issue.

You may have a radiator issue that needs fixed, but i think you have a water pump/clutch fan issue too.

Jes, Jason. Thanks for the info/advice. I didn't take it in. Instead i noticed when had the choke on and let it run, it didn't get hot. Im guessing because the fan was pulling more air at the higher RPM. I will test that again tomorrow morning and let it run for some time and see what happens... I did turn the idle speed way down after i got it. I bumped it up a bit more. maybe that will fix it good enough for now?

Checked the timing today, its at 5dg advanced. water level was perfect. guess ill just roll with it for a while and see what happens.

• 1 month later...

New thermostat, flushed rad, fresh anti-freeze. Still gets a little warm but nothing bad.

Some kicker CVR 12" woofers. Nothing to serious, but should pound in that truck. Just need to goto raphs and pickup the radio, then find an amp.

IMG_20110716_190539.jpg

These came in the mail today to accompany this.

Kenwood_KAC-7205.jpg

dehp5200hd.jpg