Introduction & my Custom 620

MOODSTER

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet looking truck, I am a sucker for a chop top, cant wait to see what you do next....very cool that you got it running and made it to the BBQ...

And Mark, you still have the roof, chop it down and chop the window, I think that would be cool as hell, a chopped vert top...there was one in Seattle for awhile, he bought it chopped, and it was when the Hot Tops vert kits where popular early 90s...So he made a vert out of it...I ran into him a few years back at a show, and he said he had sold the truck only a few years proir to a kid in Bellingham Wa...but it has never surfaced...so god only knows....If I can find pics of it I will post them....It would be cool.....And what the hell up with your 620!!!

• 2 months later...

Thanks Mike, I really wish I could find an old collection of Truckin mag to pour through and see some of those early 620's. I have another cab top and have it mapped out, just waitin for my bro to get back from his vacation at the beach. I am going to spend some time on the top and doors because I am going to make my windows work without that lame "Filler" piece and I want to keep my drip rails. The gaps and reveals on the current chop suck too. I also will lay the front "down" another inch to help with the profile.This will be the most time consuming part for now, but i think I;ll make my deadline.

In response to the 1972 1/2 chopped 620. I AM Kevin Koepsell. A little insight. The chop job was started by the Fishback brothers in San Bernardino,CA. It was their idea to leave the rear window full size. This job was supposed to be a three way trade that also included an upholsterer in Rialto,CA. Well it all fell apart and I had to find someone to finish the job and that is how it ended up at Kolor Me Kustom. Its too bad, because the Fishback brothers knew their work and maybe I wouldn't of had to deal with those lame-ass side windows. The truck was a lot of fun and did get its share of looks. So many people thought that because my dad owned Fontana Datsun that He paid for it. Not the case. I worked my butt off at the dealership to pay for it myself. What I do miss is the '79 King cab I built afterwards. Ended up trading it for full rights to a street rod. So funny, I still have a copy of that truckin' mag.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad you fixed the top. I could see it sloped to the rear and when doing a chop top its so much easier to drop the stock rear glass down. Plus it looks alot better compared to the tiny custom window. Thats going to be a sweet ride when it's done. PROPS.

• 1 month later...

So, I have been in stall mode for a few months.This is where I am now.My bro Derek has his truck almost ready for paint,so he has passed me up and it's lit a fire under my ass! I hope to get some time in the shop this weekend and get going on it so I'll be crusin in a couple of months.

bodywork20121.jpg

Hello everyone, my name is "Moody", I live in Riverside Ca. I scored this ol custom 620 from my bro Derek (Chopderek) And as soon as it was shipped down from No Ca, and a quick test drive,we were loading it onto my trailer.

My plans are a period style resto circa 1980. Low,level,chopped,keeping the Westerns (fully polish) louver the hood and tailgate. Something I would have seen cruisin Whittier Blved when I was in High school.

My goal is to drive it to the Sowthwest Datsun's BBQ this summer.

1974datsunchoptop.jpg

As you can see, it was chopped.Not very well, so that is the main part of this project-"Re-chop"! It has a L-20,4spd,elect ign,Webber carb.

1974datsunchopped.jpg

I have been collecting parts including,a top section with full size rear window ( I hate the "mailslot)" taigate,chrome ring grill, bucket seats from a 620 and a 5spd.

teardown1.jpg

Bedremoved.jpg

I have removed the bed to repair a little rust,clean and paint everything and install new 3" blocks. I will be shaving the marker lights and welding all the seams.I also will bedliner the underside of the bed as well as inside.

More to follw as It proceeds.Hope you guy's dig it.

im actually digging the offset chop. i was thinkin about doin it with my truck.

I spent the afternoon with my bro Derek wrenchin on this dog and ,well, here we are with one week to go!

Spoiler2.jpg

Spoiler3.jpg

Spoiler1.jpg

Tomorrow will be a big (long) day and the rest of the week will be workin out the bugs.This truck was sittin idle for years ,so who knows? I have driven it ,but I want a few good miles on it before the club bbq next Sunday. See you guy's soon!

did you order the dam or did you make it?

your bro would not have gotten further ahead of you with out your help I am sure.

Actually SuperHarry helped Derek quite a bit and he's gettin another buddy who has a custom shop helpin him get his body n paint done.I woulda just slowed him down! He may let me ride in it when it's done though,LOL!

Harry is gonna do my 5 speed conversion and I may be gettin my body and paint done for me as well.I just don't really have the time or the talent!

Very Nice Truck You Have

Radio

Thank you,

I just towed it over to SuperHarrys for a Trans-plant 4 to 5 spd. Hes gonna go through the whole clean/paint and replace seals while the motor is out.Also gonna clean/paint engine bay and frame/front end. When it comes back I have a small bit of fab and custom work to finish, then off for body/paint.If I'm lucky I'll have it back and ready to assemble by May 1st!

Thank you,

I just towed it over to SuperHarrys for a Trans-plant 4 to 5 spd. Hes gonna go through the whole clean/paint and replace seals while the motor is out.Also gonna clean/paint engine bay and frame/front end. When it comes back I have a small bit of fab and custom work to finish, then off for body/paint.If I'm lucky I'll have it back and ready to assemble by May 1st!

Nice work.I like you roof.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm bringin er home tomorrow! Full engine re-seal, fresh engine paint, engine bay clean,fluff ,and paint. 5 speed installed , with a new attitude.-----THANKS SUPER HARRY!!!! Next month---Body n paint. --------- Stay tuned for "El Tiki Diablo"!

very nice i need an air damn like that one

Look up "Steroid" in parts for sale.That's where I got it.

I brought her home from Harry's, and now have a clean,painted and sealed L-20b in a freshly fluffed engine bay, backed by a 5 speed! I hope to have her in for body n paint in a few weeks and back by MAY? Then it's "GAME ON" -----"El Tiki Diablo" will be a crusin with my Bro's -Derek, Dana, and Harry--Old School mini truckin!