Introduction & my Custom 620

MOODSTER

Hey Moody!!

There was a chopped standard cab that was done years ago by Kolor Me Kustom. I believe Al Hellerud did the chop. It was owned by Kevin Koepsell, who was the son of Fontana Datsun's owner. The truck was almost stock 620 blue with white into yellow flames on the side. It was a cover truck in either 1978 or 79. He was one of the only guys to have a chopped truck without the "mailslot" rear window. He dropped the rear window frame down to the top of the bed. Hope that helps, Mike

Thanks Mike, I really wish I could find an old collection of Truckin mag to pour through and see some of those early 620's. I have another cab top and have it mapped out, just waitin for my bro to get back from his vacation at the beach. I am going to spend some time on the top and doors because I am going to make my windows work without that lame "Filler" piece and I want to keep my drip rails. The gaps and reveals on the current chop suck too. I also will lay the front "down" another inch to help with the profile.This will be the most time consuming part for now, but i think I;ll make my deadline.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice lookin chop man i have a 76 that i chopped the top on. what are u gonna do for the windshield?

I have a guy who does the glass in all my bro's chops.He will just cut the stock windshield down, and hope it dont crack!

Small update; It's fockin HOT in my garage! 107 + degrees this weekend. SO, I started stripping the hood so I can take in to punch the louvers.60 grit on my air sander to peel off the 3 layers of paint, then 80 on the D/A ----that will be good enough for the Evercoat high build primer to bond to.

hoodstrip2.jpg

I got a spot weld removal bit from my bro Kiwi ( he's gonna do the interior on this build) and removed the suppot braces as needed. Good thing, there was some surface rust under those as well.

Hoodstrip1.jpg

so you can see, it's not much but I will drive this to the SWDC picnic! Wish there was more, maybe next week?

Oh yeah, I wanted to thank Harry ( SuperHarry) for loanin me some rollers so I can get my Turbines polished.Good to see you and your Pop's again.We'll be rollin 620's in FORCE soon!

In case anyone was wondering, there has been some good progress this week.

hoodlouvers1.jpg

Hood has 136 - 3" louvers. Tailgate skin is gettin punched and installed this weekend.

I got some chrome back from the shop and my wheels are in getting polished ( thanks Derek!)

rechop1.jpg

So my bro Kiwi, came by last night with his plasma cutter. we decided to ditch the old roof ( totally focked) and i had two other roofs here to work with so here we go-----

rc2.jpg

rc3.jpg

rc4.jpg

rc5.jpg

I did not want to lean the A pillars so we used two roof halves and overlapped in the middle for a one seam fit. We did take an additional 1-1/2 " out of the front and left the rear at the height it was.The rear window is set so that the bottom reveal is just at the top of the bed. It will have the perfect profile for a chop! There you go, more to follow!

• Like 3

that is gonna be bad ass

that is the proper way to chop the back of the cab

Thanks, It would have been a lot easier to start with a virgin truck.This thing was so bad and had so much plastic in it and rust under that, there was no way it was ever gonna be right. At least I can get the profile that I really want and when I go to paint it I will know what is really underneath that primer!

I am making good progress on getting my chop top up and running. Then comes the body...And that is where I am worried. I am affraid of what is under the 25 yr old paint job..The only savior is that is was a Cali truck for most of its life so I hope to not see much rust ...fingers crossed.. My buddy is going to put in a full size rear window for me also. I have the frame ready just need to get it running and down to metal then sealer primer...I also got myself a old school flex thru window to put into it....that would put a cherry on the old school look.

It has been cool watching the revamt on your rig, cant wait to see more pics....I will start posting as I get into body work of it....No one wants to see engine work....

tailgatelouvers.jpg

Got the tailgate back last night, louvered skin tacked in ,ready to finish weld and body work. 90 - 3" louvers, and before anyone ask, the blank area on the left is for a suprise "Old school" touch. Back on the top and body mods this week.