610s unite!!!!!!

bonvo

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been getting a lot of the "This is the perfect wheel" or "That is the perfect wheel"...I dont know. I thought the 'community' in general liked a car closer to stock than heavily modified. I am pleased to know what size fits the car, but I certainly dont want to copy anyones look for fear of being branded a 'copycat'.

There is no perfect wheel that will satisfy everyone. Stock would be the closest and the farther away from it, the more radical your taste, the fewer likes it will get. But you don't choose based on what everyone else thinks, right? On the other side of the coin you don't want to display your total lack of taste either with hub caps with a pin wheel design on them either. So how do you approach a rim selection? Something that satisfies your fashion sense but not offend others.

1/ Err on the conservative side. Less is more

2/ One dollar of every twenty of the value of your car can be spent on rims. More and you should examine your priorities.

3/ Know the set back and what will fit your car first. Then go looking.

4/ Buy in haste repent at leisure. Photoshop your choice onto a good picture of your car. Post in your bedroom and get used to it for a few weeks. Does it work?

5/ Rims don't make a car. They should compliment it but not detract from it.

6/ If you see something that works for you then copy it. Someone has already done the heavy lifting so enjoy. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I have a good idea in mind for the rims I want. The 200SX wheels looked the closest to the design of the stock hubcaps (which I also have an affinity for), but the "hellasunk" look has certainly detracted from the look of the car overall. The rims I have chosen are not on any 610 I have seen and this appeals to me. My sedan is unique to me and is quite a survivor. I want her to stand out and be noticed, I don't feel she is "happy" with her looks and I have to agree. Time for me to clean house with a new paint job and a new set of wheels.

I have been getting a lot of the "This is the perfect wheel" or "That is the perfect wheel"...I dont know. I thought the 'community' in general liked a car closer to stock than heavily modified. I am pleased to know what size fits the car, but I certainly dont want to copy anyones look for fear of being branded a 'copycat'.

Community as a whole does not mean solid single unilateral view and tastes. It is a community of different views, tolerant of each other, which find similarities engaging and dissimilarities an opportunity to learn  other things. There will always be the ones that will like your style, the ones that do not, and the ones in between.

About wheels, unless you go purchase really exotic unusual or from far away lands wheels, there is a chance more than one vehicle will already have your wheels.  Your car and style is the summation of all your car details. Yes there could be another 610 with same wheels, but doubt it will have the same color, interior, accessories, engine, etc.

Plus you can have several sets of wheels, swap 'em on at will to fit the occasion and your frame of mind at any given time. ( sport set, cruising set, open race set, etc.)

I have had plenty of discussions with people regarding the sedan. The wheels have been the weakest link during many these discussions, up to and including many whom post here in 610s Unite. Yes, she is a sedan. Yes, she is a true-to-life '73. Yes, I do take criticism of my car very seriously. Cars that get noticed are ones with nice wheels, not stock wheels. Nobody notices a supermodel in crocs...and I need to pay to play.

• Like 2

you dont really need to pay to play man i got my slot mags for damn near free its all about what you want on the car 

that being said i would love a set of these on mine after i flare it with the centers painted body color

hayashisakuracherrybloscy0.jpg

That was the most oxymoronical thing I've ever read.

Well, you cut out the bit in the middle. That was the most important part.   :rofl:

What he is saying is this...

"If you spend wisely, and shop smartly you can buy something that fits well and looks cool without spending an arm and a leg for it. BUT, that being said, what I REALLY want is a super-expensive set of Hayashi wheels. So there is something to be said for the 'pay to play' argument as well"

datsunfreak - it is actually your comments from last year's JCCS that cut to the core. Old School D-Slot mags look good on a coupe, but would not look good on the sedan. A sedan has been (unofficially) branded a "family car". The rims in the bottom pic also look good, but they look good on a coupe, not so much on a sedan.

With the cat pretty much out of the bag (and rended the bag to shreds...), the sedan is getting handled with a paint job that should get her noticed. The stock 200SX wheels are also out the proverbial door. I have done plenty of research on my next wheel choice. The wheels are not Watanabes, Konig, stock, or anything pictured here. In fact, the supplier of the wheels said, and I quote, "I have never fit those wheels to a 610". Good. Uniqueness prevails. 610 Sedan: 1, Copycat: 0.

datsunfreak - it is actually your comments from last year's JCCS that cut to the core. 

I'm sorry if I was too rough with you.   :bye:

A sedan has been (unofficially) branded a "family car". The rims in the bottom pic also look good, but they look good on a coupe, not so much on a sedan. 

I like my coupe a lot, but I would trade it for a sedan in a heartbeat. I don't think of it as a "family" car, I think of it as a more useful daily driver. 

the supplier of the wheels said, and I quote, "I have never fit those wheels to a 610". Good. 

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

The sedan is a family car by factory definition. Same is the wagon. But that is just a definition.

4 door cars are equality sporty. In the US, 510 Datsuns with 4 doors have been modified and raced for ever. 4 door sedans offer more accessibility. 2 doors look cool, but try getting on back of a 2 door hatchback, a nightmare.

It really depends on the shape of the car. Some 4 doors are plain ugly, others are not. The 610 is one of those models whose sedans are good looking.

Go to any Australian or European performance pages/sites and you will see all kinds of 4 door sedans modified. Classic cars like Mazdas ( RX2, 3, 4, and more) , Toyotas, Mitsubishis, Isuzus, Subies and more are modified  sedans being well appreciated

Your car is not one of the ugly 4 door sedan examples, so you do not have the excuse about your car being a sedan as available excuse. 

Wagons also get modified and even race.  Who cares about the manufacturer's definition of family car, sports car, and the like ? Chill out and have a good time.

Who made BA Bobb a 610 (or other Datsun) expert??? Show us a couple pics of your 610 if you really have one...granted, who am I go talk since I don't currently have a Dat (but I do have a much rarer car than most of ya...I won't say what it is since you all would probably never guess in million years...but as usual I ramble). Anyway I vote for the Weds for the blue 4-door.

[...]who am I go talk since I don't currently have a Dat (but I do have a much rarer car than most of ya...I won't say what it is since you all would probably never guess in million years...but as usual I ramble)

A Matra Djet?

• Like 1

Who made BA Bobb a 610 (or other Datsun) expert??? Show us a couple pics of your 610 if you really have one...granted, who am I go talk since I don't currently have a Dat (but I do have a much rarer car than most of ya...I won't say what it is since you all would probably never guess in million years...but as usual I ramble). Anyway I vote for the Weds for the blue 4-door.

Do not need to be a 610 expert to have my personal opinion. Where is all that stuff coming from? . You are funny.