Really Ratty Rusty Ruby Ruined & Rotting RIP

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk to 510keeper if you haven't already about applying clear over bare metal. You need to preserve the patina without having the car eating itself alive.

Well, rust needs air to eat itself, so if he's clear coating it, it'll stop the air and wont eat itself..

Well, rust needs air to eat itself, so if he's clear coating it, it'll stop the air and wont eat itself..

I thought the same thing - but, since there's no real way to prep the rust for a coat of clear it adheres and reacts pretty poorly. The rusty hood on my truck is oxidizing through the two coats of clear that I laid down.

I thought the same thing - but, since there's no real way to prep the rust for a coat of clear it adheres and reacts pretty poorly. The rusty hood on my truck is oxidizing through the two coats of clear that I laid down.

Maybe more coats?!?

I have cleared bare metal before and it rusted under the clear.

This time we used a metal prep solution to help prevent rust. The metal prep creates a zinc coating on the metal to prevent rust. Can you see the gold and blue clouds on the metal, that my friend is the zinc coating. It never comes out the same, but always looks cool. My friend brought up a point, I might get pulled over and a fix it ticket because of the glare of a big reflective car. I'm willing to take that ticket.

Waoh, how have I missed this thread? That's what happens when you take a Ratsun sabbatical I guess! Indy, this car is the tits. I've seen pics of it floating around other threads, but didn't know who's it was. I am with Hainz in that I like the panasports best and I like a bit of rake. But the patina on this thing is exceptional. I like that you are finally protecting it!