The Last Datsun I've wanted, my collection is complete

This is the mystery car I've been negotiating on for what seems like months. It was up for sale on craigslist months ago at a huge price. I looked, told the guy I loved it, but his price ($5500), even though quite possible he could get it, was not going to ever be in my budget. Months go by, it pops up again on Craig's a couple weeks ago for ($3500). I called, said "why didn't you call"? He lost my number or something. So, three weeks later, I brought it home tonight. I've loved the gen 1 Maxima since the beginning, a friends mom had one and I was always trying to buy it from her, but it was never affordable. I now own the talking car, and everything but the cruise is working. This will probably replace the Woody as Hitchgirls primary. Only 82k.

Back Seat

5211with810021.jpg

Dash

5211with810020.jpg

Front Seats

5211with810019.jpg

Drivers Seat, everything power!

5211with810018.jpg

Clean L24 from the drivers side

5211with810016.jpg

Passenger side

5211with810015.jpg

Reason for the long hood

5211with810014.jpg

And the lux ride, saved the best for last

5211with810009.jpg

5211with810008.jpg

5211with810017.jpg

What cha all think?

• Like 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! There's one here in the junkyard. If you need any parts I can run out there and snatch them up for you.

Thanks, I'll possibly need something for the cruise control.

I think there is some filler piece that fills the gap around the emergency brake handle, If that is good, grab it for me. The rear valance, under the bumper is dinged, if it is clean on the junkyard car, send me a pic, or if cheap, grab it. If the Junkyard car is a 5speed, hook me up with a pedal assembly.

Lots of home work for you now!

Thanks, I'll possibly need something for the cruise control.

I think there is some filler piece that fills the gap around the emergency brake handle, If that is good, grab it for me. The rear valance, under the bumper is dinged, if it is clean on the junkyard car, send me a pic, or if cheap, grab it. If the Junkyard car is a 5speed, hook me up with a pedal assembly.

Lots of home work for you now!

Haha ok. Let me know what you need for the cruise control. It's basically untouched other than the fact that I am going to get the rear caliper brackets for my Z, and the interior was taken apart. The motor hasn't even been touched, so if you want to get anything motor wise let me know, I owe you anyway. I'll check for those parts this weekend :D

It needs to be lowered an inch or two, I'm not going to slam it. Different, but not boy racer wheels. Five speed swap would be a top priority. Would be a great car for an engine swap, RB Turbo would be my dream, not in the near future though. It is so nice and drives good, I'll probably just wait until some great engine trans opportunity pops up and then decide. It feels like a heavy car when driving, I'd like to tighten up the suspension some.

The Maxima is built on the Z car platform. Basically just a different body. Suspension and brakes are very similar.

Are you sure?

Doesn't the maxima have a solid rear axle? Or was that only on the wagon? The rear disc brakes might be similar to the early zx. At least we use the rear brackets for the rear disc conversion for an s30 on some disc brake mods.

The maxima has a front sump engine block, you would have to do some engine work or oil pan modification to make a 2.8 work in the maxima.

Back to hitch's maxima.

Clean all the connections under the hood, the electrics tend to corrode on the older cars.

I would check and replace all the vacuum lines, that is the more likely place the cruise control will give you problems. And also make sure the brake pedal switches have the plugs or screws in place. Most of the time they come out and the brake lights stay on, probably has nothing to do with cc, but still something to check.

Very nice car btw, does it have the 4 spd auto or is it still a 3spd auto? The 4 spd auto is very nice on long trips and highway drives.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/index.php is a great forum for the 1st gen, mostly for diesels, but they also cover the gassers quite well.

Mazima sedans are IRS, goons H-190. Just swap oil pans and pick ups before dropping the motor in. The brake aren't exactly the same. I have front struts and the rotor is a few mm smaller diameter. Probably so that the zx can say it has the biggest brakes.

I guess the correct term would be that the driveline is the same.

I had a mechanic friend of mine do the swap for a 2.8 and there was more to it than just swapping pans and oil pick up. Same thing if you wanted to put a diesel in a z, pan modification needed. There is a thread on hybridz for that. I thought that it would only require drilling the bosses for the oil pick up and plugging the front sump oil pick up.

I'll have to check with my friend on the 2.8 swap and check hybridz for the diesel swap.

Another great find Hitch. The Garage Zero guysdid one with a L28et, one with a L28 with dual SU carbs, and for a customer he swapped a RB20DET. So i've seen some heavily modified ones, but i am digging the factory comfort/cleaness on this one. I would just do wheels/suspention and cruise it.

Funny thing about those wheels you posted. We used to call them Hammers back in high school and I always Hated them. But now i am starting to finally like them. You going to pick them up?

I had a mechanic friend of mine do the swap for a 2.8 and there was more to it than just swapping pans and oil pick up. Same thing if you wanted to put a diesel in a z, pan modification needed. There is a thread on hybridz for that. I thought that it would only require drilling the bosses for the oil pick up and plugging the front sump oil pick up.

Nice find, I've always wanted one myself.

The Maxima pan will fit on an L28 block, pick tube is the problem, block will need to be re-drilled or a tube will have to be fabricated.

The L24E block has the pick up on a different web than the L28, in all a minor challenge to fab. a pick up tube. This swap has been done many times before

IMHO, a mild suspension kit, Turbo L28 swap and some 15" ZX wheels would make this car an awesome ride.

I don't know for sure, but HL510 pedals may fit, if your looking into a 5 sp swap.

280zx wheels offset will put the wheels out to the fenders but the z31 300zx 4 lug wheels will bolt straight on if you use a tire such as a 225/50-15 and should have near the same diameter.

With the 215/60s (stock 300zx tire size) the tires rubbed on extreme turns when hitting a bump.