The Last Datsun I've wanted, my collection is complete

Sweet score! I have an '82 Diesel Maxima Sedan with only 65k miles on it. It was originally purchased by a 62 year old woman for her husband who drove it for 15 years before he passed away and since his wife didn't drive, it went into the garage where it only saw the light of day when she made her son come over and drive it to the local Nissan dealer for the regularly scheduled maintenance. I didn't believe the story at first but when I saw the car I was amazed. Total time machine. It was the first new car they'd ever owned so it had a lot of sentimental value for her and she was unable to sell it and was meticulous with the maintenance. The next 14 years it spent it's life in the garage until she passed away and her son contacted a friend of mine to see if there was any interest in the car. Needless to say, I jumped on it and haven't been disappointed since!

Yours looks to be in similarly exceptional condition! Put some Tokico Blue shocks and some Moog springs from the same year 280ZX on it and you'll be good to go! 205/60/14's or similar size will fit those rims and fill out the wheel wells nicely while keeping the ride smooth as glass!

Cheers,

LWW

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I'll possibly need something for the cruise control.

If you haven't solved the problem yet, it's not likely a problem with the cruise control. Most likely it's an old vacuum hose that's got leaks in it. This was a common problem on the 280ZX's that I'm familiar with. New vacuum hose to the cruise control module in the engine compartment will usually fix it right up.

Cheers,

LWW

The Maxima is built on the Z car platform.

I would agree with that. But the japanese say it was built on the Skyline/Cedric platform. They are all nearly the same as our friend from Sweden is showing us.

The Maxima is the 910 model series, which is in the Bluebird family (510/610/810/910). In other countries most 910s were four-cylinders, but in USA only the G (long wheelbase) model was sold here, fitted with an L24 six. I read a review from the time, the reviewer said it was underpowered compared to the Cressida and Mercedes and why o why didn't they fit the L28?

Last of the Datsuns...83 Datsun

What about this 1984 Datsun Maxima I saw on Saturday?

20110702184405DSC03507.jpg

Had this cool emblem on the hood:

20110702184220DSC03504.jpg

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...

I've been prepping the Max for some road trips. My son will have it at his duty station in Biloxi for the next year and this should make a great highway car for traveling home once in awhile. I've got these 15" wheels from a 200sx I'm thinking of mounting. What is the consensus? 15" blackwall or 14" oe white walls? Take note of the new window tint.

may1212705.jpg

may1212158.jpgmay1212154.jpg

I read a review from the time, the reviewer said it was underpowered compared to the Cressida and Mercedes and why o why didn't they fit the L28?

Back in 68 Pontiac rated the 400CI motor in the GTO at 350HP.The SAME motor was in the Firebird(which was a ligher car )but was rated at 345HP.this was accomplished with a "throttlestop" on the Firechicken.Moral of the story?Pontiac didn't want the Firebird being faster than their"Flagship"-the GTO.Catch my drift?

Last of the Datsuns...83 Datsun

What about this 1984 Datsun Maxima I saw on Saturday?

The '84 was the last Datsun badged Maxima. The '85 300zx was likely the last Datsun. Both also had a Nissan emblem on the opposite side at the rear.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice maxi, a guy on hybridZ just picked up an maxima with a 82 280zx turbo L28ET swapped in it top mount intercooler from what he told me the original guy who build it passed away and so he bought it for $1800!

Im the guy from HybridZ, thought I'd give you guys something to talk about. B)

th_DSCF0431.jpg

th_DSCF0428.jpg

th_DSCF0430.jpg

th_DSCF0427.jpg

th_IMAG0118.jpg