slodat's 510 v2.0

slodat

Turbo is last. It will be a very complete car all around before the turbo swap. I want to get it running well on EFI and then build an engine for the turbo. Who knows though, sometimes I get shit going quicker than I think. I'm starting school in two weeks, so that's going to eat some cash.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With some moral support from CityHunter and Dislexicdime, I installed the CV axles in my car yesterday. I finished just in time to head out to the Beaverton meet up. They make a significant difference in drivetrain noise!! I'll snap a photo of them installed today. I also did a write up in the how to section.

• 4 weeks later...

The CV axles have worked out great! I am very happy with them. Noticeably quieter in the car, no vibration from the rear of the car.

I pulled the transmission out of my 521 today, which is going in to my 510. I picked up a shortened driveline from bagged_datsun this afternoon. I also picked this up from Finish Line Coatings:

DSCF0299.JPG

DSCF0307.JPG

I have a lightened flywheel waiting for me to pick up tomorrow. The plan was to put the new engine in the 620 KC first. On the drive home from the shop tonight, I decided to do the 510 work first. I'm pulling the engine and transmission in the morning. Work list for this go 'round:

• Re-seal engine anywhere it is currently leaking. It's not too bad, but I want it dry. I have multiples every possible gasket it might need, all Nissan!
  • Install new 225mm lightened flywheel with new Daiken/Exedy clutch.
  • Long tail 5 speed.
  • New Nissan engine mounts (isolators)
  • Install new braided stainless clutch and brake hoses.
  • Install 7/8" brake master cylinder.
  • New Nissan clutch slave.

Plan is to have engine out of the car tomorrow and on an engine stand to seal up the oil pan. Let it cure overnight and back in the car Friday morning.

Teaser for what is to come down the road:

DSCF0295.JPG

Edited by slodat
The CV axles have worked out great! I am very happy with them. Noticeably quieter in the car, no vibration from the rear of the car.

I pulled the transmission out of my 521 today, which is going in to my 510. I picked up a shortened driveline from bagged_datsun this afternoon. I also picked this up from Finish Line Coatings:

DSCF0299.JPG

DSCF0307.JPG

I have a lightened flywheel waiting for me to pick up tomorrow. The plan was to put the new engine in the 620 KC first. On the drive home from the shop tonight, I decided to do the 510 work first. I'm pulling the engine and transmission in the morning. Work list for this go 'round:

nice mani, how much was it to lighten the flywheel

nice mani, how much was it to lighten the flywheel

$140 for the flywheel work - face, lighten and balance w/clutch cover at Dan Hall. I use them for all my machine shop work.

The cerma-chrome was $115 at Finish Line Coatings in Milwaukee.

I got the engine and transmission out of the 510 today with Dislexicdime's assistance. The engine is setting on the floor for the night. It goes on an engine stand in the morning so I can install new front cover and oil pan gaskets as well as a rear main seal. It will sit upside down on the engine stand over night while the oil pan gasket sealant (The Right Stuff) cures. Then, it goes back in the car Saturday morning.

Today went well. Pulled the front cover and oil pan off. I cleaned both in the parts cleaner, which worked very well. The front cover had an oil pan bolt broken off in it by the previous owner. So, I degreased and then bead blasted a spare front cover. Once it was all clean I installed the front cover and the oil pan gasket using The Right Stuff as a sealer on both sides of the oil pan gasket. It is sitting upside down on the engine stand over night. Fingers crossed for a leak free L motor in the morning!

A buddy is coming over in the morning to help me get the engine in the car. Should be a fun day. Everything is ready to go.

I'm loving the blast cabinet. I'm finally able to clean things up the way I have always wanted to.

We worked on the car for 15 hours yesterday!! All new parts installed. A couple implulse buys at the parts store, which I'll post up after installed.

It was a lot of work yesterday. So many new parts. Everything went together without a single hitch. Engine is in the car and buttoned up. The only issue is my starter is bad. When I started the car to move it from one bay to the current bay for this go 'round of work the starter acted up. It didn't fully register until it failed last night. I have an old style starter in the shop. The car is higher compression and currently has a gear reduction starter on it. I think I'm going to head to Baxter's and get a gear reduction starter to replace it.

I'll post up photos later on. There is so much different about the car. I can't wait to drive it!!

A few photos for those so inclined follow.

At the end of the night last night my starter failed. Replaced it this morning. Car fired right up. Took it on a test drive. Had a minor water leak that was fixed by tightening a bolt a bit. Thus far not a drop of anything has leaked. I am beyond happy about that.

I now I have a 510 that drives the way I want, with respect to drivetrain. I am very pleased. The new flywheel clutch combo and the transmission are an awesome package. Gear spacing is great. It pulls HARD up to 4th gear. The car is very quiet, especially considering it has zero interior.

After enjoying driving it some I took it back to the shop and installed a driver door I bought a while back. It now closes, locks, and all that good stuff.

I'm a happy camper. It drives sweet. Now on to suspension, installing brake parts I have and some interior!

Before:

DSCF0322.JPG

About to go back in the car:

DSCF0344.JPG

Several shots of my Saturn alternator setup:

DSCF0330.JPG

DSCF0332.JPG

DSCF0334.JPG

DSCF0338.JPG

DSCF0340.JPG

DSCF0342.JPG

Other side of engine on its way in the car.

DSCF0345.JPG

New shifter location. The cover plate is a 620 piece flipped 180. The new boot came from ebay. They are $15. A very good aftermarket piece. I modified a shifter to suit my needs and style. The long tail transmission moved it back to a very comfy spot.

DSCF0348.JPG

just for verification and reference, you DID NOT grind the lower mounting bracket for the Alternator, correct? And approximatly how much adjustment do you have in mm or inches or miles which ever you prefer? :) just for general knowledge Thanks

just for verification and reference, you DID NOT grind the lower mounting bracket for the Alternator, correct? And approximatly how much adjustment do you have in mm or inches or miles which ever you prefer? :) just for general knowledge Thanks

These are photos of my Saturn alternator adjustment range - with the STOCK 620 water inlet and STOCK 620 alternator bracket.

All the way "up" against the water neck. Note that there is a tiny bit of clearance. It doesn't hit the water neck!

DSCF0309.JPG

From the rear, all the way "up":

DSCF0312.JPG

All the way "down":

DSCF0316.JPG

DSCF0317.JPG

DSCF0320.JPG

Since getting the car running well, I have been working on getting some of the little things ironed out and improving the "driver's experience". I love lists:

• Installed an oil distribution manifold. It's fed by a -4 hose. It supplies a warning light switch and oil pressure gauge sending unit for now. In the future it will also be the turbo oil supply and the cam spray bar supply. I searched until I found a 1/8BSP -> -4 AN fitting. So, no funky trees of Y adapters on the block. One clean fitting and hose going straight out.
  • A set of Auto Meter Ultra Lite gauges to compliment the tach I bough a while back. They are mounted under the center of the dash for now.
  • Momo steering wheel. This is one of those driver's experience things. It fits my hands well. It also allowed me to get my horn working!
  • I had some detonation occuring between 3-4k rpm while highway cruising. I changed the SU oil to sewing machine oil at the recommendation of a friend. It completely fixed the detonation and made a great improvement in throttle response. The engine runs as good as I can immagine it running.
  • Changed the oil to Redline 10-30 synthetic since I have ZERO oil leaks!!
  • Installed the door I bought for the car. Working locks, etc are very nice!

The car is really coming together. I can drive it anywhere! It is a dream to drive and a lot of fun.