slodat's 510 v2.0

slodat

You make good points. I double triple checked it while in my driveway. There's a puddle. It is coming out the passenger side seal for sure. I cleaned it all up and then the seal gets wet. I have all the parts to fix it. It's a 30min job..

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man slodat your like a parts whore!! LOL how hard was it to rebuild that heater setup? once i get a few other projects finished on my goon i'm gonna tackle that nasty thing called a heater in my car but i'm scared, it looks like a nightmare! btw if ya see another set of those nice chrome vent deals i need some too, mine are green also!

Some photos. I have had a blast working on the car and driving it. All of the parts I've installed this go around have worked as intended. The only real issue is I need to replace an axle seal on the LSD. That's a pretty easy fix. I'm getting the car aligned in the morning. Then, it gets to sit for a bit while I go back to work...

Driver's floor board before photo:

IMG_0177.JPG

Dood, if the flinstones had a datsun, that'd be it! :lol:

My floor was a swiss,but the guy i bought it from at least had his mechanic weld up a nice thick piece. i need to get it redone tho, take that piece out, cut out the swiss, then weld that one back in

how hard was it to rebuild that heater setup?

Here's what I did..

• Order a new heater valve from new-datsun-parts.com
  • Order new hoses from Nissan, the two in the engine bay and a U shaped hose that you cut in half for the two hoses on the heater box itself.
  • Pull the heater box and remove the heater core. I took the heater core to Mac's Radiator in Beaverton (I highly recommned them). My instructions were to clean it and fix any problems. They fixed a small crack in one of the tanks and re-soldered the inlet and outlet connections.
  • Buy a role of foam insulating tape from the hardware store. Something around 1/4" thick x 3/4 wide.
  • Re-assemble heater box with the new parts. Put a row of the insulating foam tape around the heater core and the cover plate, like it came from the factory.

if ya see another set of those nice chrome vent deals i need some too, mine are green also!

I got mine on ebay $38 shipped from Al Allen.

Dood, if the flinstones had a datsun, that'd be it! :lol:

The driver side was the only rust through. That photo is what it looked like just before I cut out the rot. It was all treated with POR-15 and then cured for a few months before I welded in the replacement steel. It will all get cleaned up and painted with Zero Rust soon.

find me these steve so we can both have our favorite taillights

You know I'll keep an eye out for a set!

Edited by slodat
Here's what I did..

• Order a new heater valve from new-datsun-parts.com
  • Order new hoses from Nissan, the two in the engine bay and a U shaped hose that you cut in half for the two hoses on the heater box itself.
  • Pull the heater box and remove the heater core. I took the heater core to Mac's Radiator in Beaverton (I highly recommned them). My instructions were to clean it and fix any problems. They fixed a small crack in one of the tanks and re-soldered the inlet and outlet connections.
  • Buy a role of foam insulating tape from the hardware store. Something around 1/4" thick x 3/4 wide.
  • Re-assemble heater box with the new parts. Put a row of the insulating foam tape around the heater core and the cover plate, like it came from the factory.

I did the same process (basically) including the foam insulating tape. I'd say thinner (like 1/8") works better. The original stuff turns to dust, and you might have to look for glue traces to see where it went!

The heater box will work much better (be sealed when it's supposed to) and as a bonus it won't RATTLE and buzz.

When the box is out is a good time to check the linkages from the dash controls. Sometimes a little nylon grommet wears out or goes missing, and you can replace it with something pretty easy. Some lube on the plastic pivots/tracks will also make the whole thing work SWEETLY when you're done. You can work the linkage with it all off and be sure it's smooth before intalling it in the car...

Do it man!

Steve (Redeye) this heater info should be a sticky or FAQ, I think most of the information would work for the truck heaters as well.

I need to pull mine apart, I've got a new valve I need to install so I might as well fix the whole thing while I'm there!

You should do a writeup, I'll make it a sticky :D

I'm all about sharing knowledge and stuff, but when you combine what I wrote above with what Julie did, if you can't figure out your heater at that point, you probably aren't going to. It is about as basic a project as there is.

I'm just sayin..

:lol: ...so true! Where does all that crap come from?

Came in through the cowl vent.

Have you tried cleaning the inside of the cowl?!?!

You should cause I didn't even know there's actually a drain right down the middle and dumps right above the tranny. It's not just the drain going to the lower fender. It does get clogged up and rots the middle section of the firewall.

And yeah, if you clean up your heater, it won't take long before you get those debris back in there.

If you don't clear up that cowl and put some screen.

I'm all about sharing knowledge and stuff, but when you combine what I wrote above with what Julie did, if you can't figure out your heater at that point, you probably aren't going to. It is about as basic a project as there is.

I'm just sayin..

Oh, I don't need it for me, just thought maybe someone else might need it.

Time for an update. I rented a pretty sweet garage to work on my cars. It has been a long haul, and I now have my own space again!! I'm fuckin stoked! I spent the entire week getting the garage set up. Tonight I installed the Top Motoring Rear coil overs.

Before:

DSCF0233.JPG

Old on left, new on right:

DSCF0234.JPG

Dumped. I see no reason I won't be able to drive the car at this height. I'll wait until the front is done and I have an adjustable rear crossmember.

DSCF0236.JPG

Another shot of it dumped:

DSCF0240.JPG

How it sat when I called it a night:

DSCF0244.JPG

I'll take it out for a drive in the morning. This thing has needed lowered since I bought it 8 months ago. I already like the car a lot more than I did this morning!!

• 3 weeks later...

Getting a lot done on the car this week...

Installed front & rear bumpers.

Sorted out all the rear lights and got RH lenses off the left hand side, etc.

Put a grill and trim on the front despite the fact that the front end is a little tweaked.

Put the slip covers on the stock seats. Now I have two front seats.

Installed my awesome new seat belts.

Little shit like a shifter boot, side mirror, inside & outside window rubber - no more window rattles!!

Bought a set of 205/50 15 Azenis and had them mounted on the Hoshi's!!

For you photo sluts (I know I'm one!):

DSCF0257.JPG

DSCF0259.JPG

DSCF0260.JPG

DSCF0261.JPG