slodat's 510 v2.0

slodat

Well.. After a very long and crazy year which included being unemployed, selling off my 510, moving, etc I am happy to report I towed home a 510 today. It's a '70 two door, build date 12/69. It does not have the earlier features. It came as a package deal from a fellow DatsunsNW member. It also included a '71 wagon that has been wrecked, which I am parting out.

Phase one:

Get it running and driving with everything working properly. I'm keeping the 14" ZX wheels currently on it for the time being. Upon closer inspection tonight, I found the front has what appear to be ZX struts/brakes with old school camber adjustable LCA bushings. I'm putting the engine (built LZ20, NISMO cam, some porting done to a closed chamber W53 head) out of the wagon in it with the SU's I picked up on Ratsun this week. Goal is to get it safe and driving with the L series and SU's with a 5 speed.

Down the road.. not sure. For now I want to drive a 510 again. I REALLY miss driving a dime.

Here's a couple photos....

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot's of progress this weekend. Pulled the engine/trans from the donor wagon and got the original engine/trans out of the 2 door today. I bought a set of SU's from a guy on here. Hopefully those show up this week. Engine will go in this week.

Spent the majority of the day cleaning and degreasing the engine bay today.

Before:

IMG_0152.JPGIMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0156.JPGIMG_0157.JPG

After cleaning and dropping the engine in!!

IMG_0159.JPG

I picked up a set of tires on craigslist for $100, so it has good rubber. Lots of work to do, but it is coming along!

It is going to take a ton of work to make it a nice car. Mikey and I have got a TON done to it this week. Will hopefully be able to take it for a test drive in the next few days. I got a set of SU's for it today.

sweet......drive it yet???

Are you kidding? This thing is a SERIOUS basket case. It still needs quite a bit of work before it will be able to move on its own power, let alone road worthy. Plan is to have it on the road before next weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

I have worked on this car non stop since the day I bought it, except for the 5 days I was out of town working. Short list of what I've done thus far:

Brakes - new rear linings & cylinders, all hoses replaced, master cylinder swap from donor car. Bled them tonight and it has great pedal. Still need to adjust the rears. Brakes are done!

Front suspension - new stock t/c bushings, idler arm, tie rods. Needs alignment.

The fuel tank was heavily rusted so complete fuel system rebuild. All soft hoses replaced. Swapped gas tank with a spare I had. New fuel pump. Took the SU's to a friend and he gave them a once over with tons of new parts.

Installed matchbox dizzy, MSD Blaster 2 coil, NGK wires. Ignition should be good.

I had Mac's radiator re-core the stock radiator with a three row core. I paid $285. They did a great job. I'm running the stock fan and shroud.

Swapped in Saturn alternator. I used one of the adjusters I made up a year or so ago.

Exhaust is stock manifold to original exhaust. This is just to get it running. I'll be fabricating 2.25" exhaust.

Experimental Engineering trans crossmember installed with new mount.

Here's an engine bay photo I took as I called it a night tonight:

IMG_0167.JPG.jpg

The fuse block is soaking in vinegar right now. I picked up new fuses on the way home. So, I'll be trying to start it first thing tomorrow.

I still have to install the clutch hydraulics before I can test drive it.

It has been a LONG road to get it to this point. I feel like I really saved this datto. Still a TON of work to do, but I'm gaining some headway!