slodat's 510 v2.0

slodat

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved the car under its own power today. Granted it was just to back it out of the garage, but it was awesome!

Short list of things to do tomorrow (sort out tail lights, repair driver's floor, hood latch) and then it is off to get an alignment and 2.25" exhaust.

At that point, Mikey should be able to tune it :) and then, it is drivable!!

This is by far the most in depth project I have done. It is such a rush to drive a car that I built myself from a literal basket case. Every system has been gone through - thoroughly!

I have a few things on the way for it as well...

I drove it today!!!

I got the rest of the lights sorted out this morning and took it to get the exhaust done. I have to say, I highly recommend A-1 Muffler (30th & Barbur Blvd in Portland). Lee did a great job on the exhaust in my car. 2.25" with a turbo muffler for $160. It is tucked up nice under the car and I have a flange joint down by the trans to make pulling the transmission or engine a breeze compared to a one piece pipe all the way back.

This thing sounds great with the new exhaust. The engine has big Z car valves and some head work as well as the Motorsports cam. It likes to breathe!

After that I cleaned out the spare parts that were in it when I bought it and headed to the Vancouver Tuesday Night meetup.

The carbs and timing need to be dialed in. Even so, it runs pretty damn good.

I picked up a set of seats for it at the Tuesday night meeting. Those will go in tomorrow as well as more fixing.

Just read through your thread & congrats on getting her on the road! All the hard work is paying off. How does it perform with the SU's & was wondering where did you hook the vaccum advance up on the carbs?

there is a small tube on the manifold behind the the front carb (meaning closest carb to the radiator)

Today.. I cleaned the domes and pistons on the SU's. They had not been falling at the same rate and looked to be sticking a little. No more after a thorough soak in Chem Dip and cleaning. Dislexic tuned it afterward. It sounds sick as fuck with the 2.25" exhaust. The engine really moves some air!

Couldn't take it for a drive because.... I stripped the interior, cleaned, scrubbed, degreased, removed all factory tar/sound deadening and then applied a coat of POR-15 to the entire floor of the car. It is drying over night.

I'll take it for a drive tomorrow after I fit one of the Z car seats.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to leave town for work the day after I got the car running. So, I haven't been able to work on the car since. I have been working my ass off and buying parts. I'm going home in a few weeks. This is what I already have waiting to go in the car when I get home:

4.11 R160 LSD

Inner and outer door window seals

Speedo with trip odometer and matching tachometer

New heater valve

New rear quarter window latches

Steering box boxing plates

Top Motoring rear coil overs 200#

T3 T/C rods

T3 Camber plates

Billet LCA's

Bump Steer spacers

The plan (assuming I get the overtime I'm supposed to) is to have the following there when I get home. I haven't ordered this stuff, but it is what I am hoping for:

.745 5 speed

Arizona Z double adjustable front coil overs

Front strut inserts

Wolf Creek Racing CV axles

I hope to get the front suspension and LSD/CV's in the car while I'm home this trip so I can drive it a little with it all in it. I will be able to be home for a week or so before Canby to work on the car. I'm going to be able to go to Canby and drive a Datsun!!

• 4 months later...

I just bought the rear bumper that compression had listed for sale here on Ratsun. Granted I won't be home to put it on the car anytime soon. But, I do have a rear bumper now...

Problem is, I'm starting to wonder if I'll actually keep the 510. I may have too many cars.. Time will tell. I will definitely see the car through enough to drive it a bit before I do something silly like sell it.

• 3 weeks later...

Dislexicdime was driving my dime the other day and...

hell yes when it idols. some one asked me the other day when i was driveing it if it had a v8 in it

Smallish update..

Soon it will be rollin on these Hoshino's!!

hoshino1.jpg