slodat's 510 v2.0

slodat

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In preparation for installing the JDM tail light finisher panel, I removed the stock license plate lights. I hate the way they look anyway. I used a set of "light 'n bolts" for the license lights. They work pretty good. I also found my "Do it in a Datsun" frame.

DSCF0262.JPG

Next up on the agenda is a transmission swap. I'm installing a '79-'80 ZX 5 speed. I'm going to pull the engine and transmission and get a few things done while they are all out:

• Lightened 225mm flywheel with new Daiken clutch
  • Roller pilot bearing
  • Cam spray bar
  • Remove and powder coat front cover, oil pan and pulleys
  • New water pump
  • Coat exhaust manifold and down pipe
  • Re-seal oil pan

Then - brakes! I'm taking a whole different approach to brakes this time. I'm keeping what I have! I ordered new Brembo front (280ZX) rotors and Z car finned rear drums. I'm going to run Porterfield R4S front and rear along with braided stainless hoses. I get to keep my parking brake and this will be plenty of brake for the car.

Edited by slodat

Icehouse... It's on!! Can you say fuel injected turbo L series !?!?

mani001.jpg

I'm getting my turbo manifold back from Mikey. So, I have intake, exhaust sorted out. I know which turbo I want to run - Garrett GT25R.

This is a _little_ ways down the line. I'm gathering parts as they make themselves available. All other major upgrades and mods will be complete, then EFI swap. Then SR20 eater :D

When I put the EFI together, I will do it very similar to the way I did the last time. Plan is to run Megasquirt II with the SMD board. EDIS ignition. The following "sub projects" will be complete prior to any EFI work:

Tranny swap

CV's

Z Therapy SU's

New seats

Front suspension

Rear suspension

Brakes

Probably some body work, new glass, headliner, etc.

Then - EFI using MegaSquirt & EDIS.

Then new long block & turbo! Goal will be a very reliable 225rwhp on pump gas with as much off the line torque as possible - aka SR20 eater :D

Icehouse... It's on!! Can you say fuel injected turbo L series !?!?

mani001.jpg

I'm getting my turbo manifold back from Mikey. So, I have intake, exhaust sorted out. I know which turbo I want to run - Garrett GT25R.

This is a _little_ ways down the line. I'm gathering parts as they make themselves available. All other major upgrades and mods will be complete, then EFI swap. Then SR20 eater :D

HAHA Thats to funny I bid on that mani too :D I gave up early though.

i am happy to donate that turbo manifold as long as this engine gets finished. if you dont. i am taking it back sucka! i had a lot of standing around watching you work time in that invested in that last engine

You know I'll finish it this time!!

HAHA Thats to funny I bid on that mani too :D I gave up early though.

No comment on the SR20 eater??

No comment on the SR20 eater??

It shouldn't take much to beat my car, its in pieces and will be for a while. My goal is Canby but some how I doubt it will happen...

So are you going with megasquirt again? maybe we should race in that respect, we both have L series engines and we both L series EFI mani's... haha then we can race our cars :D

It shouldn't take much to beat my car, its in pieces and will be for a while. My goal is Canby but some how I doubt it will happen...

So are you going with megasquirt again? maybe we should race in that respect, we both have L series engines and we both L series EFI mani's... haha then we can race our cars :D

Yes, MSII with the surface mount component board v3.57.

o man i don't have efi but i will run with both of you :)

true

So your saying your in?

In to try to have it done by Canby? As I mentioned above, those other things are going to have to happen first. I'm hoping for a lot of overtime soon, which will help make it possible. I figure I have about $4k in parts, powder coating, etc before I can start the EFI and turbo build.

man my bench is going to look empty with out this sitting on it collecting dust

DSCN1333.jpg

The engine bay of the dime will sure look badass with it under the EFI intake!!

Thanks Mikey!!!

dude i love those rims! and a Garrett GT25R on an L-series is gonna be fuckin sick.. individual throtle bodies is gonna be even more sick!!!

No ITB's this go around. Just one 60mm S13 throttle body.

That manifold looks sweet, but where do you bolt the fuel rail down?

I'll have to make a bracket once the injectors are in place.

• 3 weeks later...
Next up on the agenda is a transmission swap. I'm installing a '79-'80 ZX 5 speed. I'm going to pull the engine and transmission and get a few things done while they are all out:

• Lightened 225mm flywheel with new Daiken clutch
  • Roller pilot bearing
  • Cam spray bar
  • Remove and powder coat front cover, oil pan and pulleys
  • New water pump
  • Coat exhaust manifold and down pipe
  • Re-seal oil pan

The clutch arrives tomorrow. I'm having the pressure plate balanced with the flywheel. They already lightened it. Looks awesome.

I picked up the L16 exhaust manifold while I was at the machine shop. I had them remove the broken stud/easy out as well as surface both ends. I then dropped it off at Finish Line Coatings for a Cerma-Chrome treatment. All in all I'll have $200 in the exhaust manifold. It will seal and it will look sweet too! The added bonus is the reduced temperatures getting to the SU's/EFI intake.

I'm still waiting for my 220v circuit at my shop, so no blasting ability just yet.

Then - brakes! I'm taking a whole different approach to brakes this time. I'm keeping what I have! I ordered new Brembo front (280ZX) rotors and Z car finned rear drums. I'm going to run Porterfield R4S front and rear along with braided stainless hoses. I get to keep my parking brake and this will be plenty of brake for the car.

Some of the brake parts came. Brembo front 280ZX rotors and 240Z finned rear drums. If you are thinking about buying the aluminum finned drums, best to do it now. They are getting very hard to find. I also picked up a pair of 15/16" rear wheel cylinders. The braided stainless hoses and Porterfield R4S pads and shoes are not here yet.