slodat's 510 v2.0

slodat

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Updates... I am shifting focus to the 510 for the time being. My truck is tucked away in a garage safe, clean and dry. It is also a lot further away from driving. So, the 510 gets the love for a while. I posted a wanted ad in the usual spots and got some good replies very quickly.

I'm headed home in a couple weeks for the better part of a week. I'll have some time to work on my car while I'm home. In preparation for the trip, I'll have some new parts for the car. I want to get it functioning as a car during the time I'm home.

I got a set of bumpers for it. I've found a set of doors and a good trunk lid that I'll pick up while I'm home. I have a couple of detail bits on their way - locks, ignition switch, etc.

I ordered a set of MSS4 billet SU stub stacks from Advanced Performance Technology.

I want a set of these SU style throttle bodies so I can do EFI.. But I'm holding off on that. I need to get the car in much better shape before something like that.

4bb9_1.JPG

I asked about the stub stacks on the bluebirds list and got an overwhelming YES on these. So, I went ahead and ordered them! They were about $72 shipped.

I also just scored the last one of these sweet custom SU air cleaner!

SU_Filter_005.jpg

Here it is with the stub stacks:

SU_Filter_003.jpg

One less thing to sort out on the car!!

• 2 weeks later...

More parts!!

I've never seen a grill emblem like this one. It is for the '68 grill I bought earlier this year.

c015_1.JPG

I've never had a Datto with emblems, so I'm thinking this one will get them. I bought them just in case...

Compdom510.jpgdatsun_fender_trunk.jpg

Scored a near perfect dash pad.

14da_12.JPG

I have been able to drive and work on my car for the past three days. Man it rocks! Driving it is interesting. There is TONS to do to it before it's a good driver. I'm managing to get around town in it nonetheless. Here's what I've done thus far:

• Installed the 4.11 LSD. 2 rubber tracks!!
  • Rebuilt my heater. Installing tomorrow.
  • Rebuilt all the wiper stuff. Wipers work.
  • Test fit the Hoshino's on the front. I'm leaving for work again Monday night, so they aren't getting mounted up just yet.
  • Found a good trunk lid and passenger door. Still need a good driver's door.
  • Got my SU air filter assembly. Installed it along with the APT stub stacks. This setup is fucking sweet. And what they say is true - the stub stacks make a very noticeable difference!!
  • Sealed up my fuel filler neck. No more gas fumes!!
  • Bought a set of CV axles and dropped them off at Dutchman to be shortened/resplined. CV's are on the way!!

I have some more parts to put on it tomorrow. It is so nice to be driving it - even if it is still such a project!!

Edited by slodat

Dude we need pics of the rims, even if it is just a test fit!!!!!

Dude I know exactly what you mean, driving a dime is so much fun! I enjoy driving a project, you can fully appreciate the upgrades, doing them all at once is kind of a burnout.

Did I mention we need pics :D

I snapped a couple photos today. I'll upload soon. I am completely exhausted! I mean 100% Progress today:

• Welded in the replacement steel in the driver's floorboard. I had a sheetmetal shop cut me a piece to cover the hole like 7 months ago. I have been driving it with it rattling around and making a hell of a racket. It is thick steel. Probably twice as thick as what is in the car. I got it all cut to fit, drilled 6 or so holes for each side of the "frame rail" to plug weld so it won't rattle and to help with rigidity. This was a bitch to do on the floor. I spend probably 3-4 hours getting it all welded in. It is welded in now and is VERY solid.
  • Installed the rebuilt heater. All new Nissan hoses. NOS heater valve. Freshly repaired and pressure tested heater core. I got all of the controls adjusted. It works 100%!!
  • Installed the new dome light.

I won't have a photo of the car with the Hoshino's for a bit. The wheels are already put away. The car is running and driving nice. It sounds sick on the freeway next to the Jersey barrier with the exhaust note reflecting back.

Now that I've had a chance to get all of the projects I wanted done completed, it's time to plan what to do next.. The plan is, pretty much in this order:

• Nice front seats. Thus far, I am considering one of the Sparco reclining seats, Corbeau's or Scat ProCar seats. I welcome any input. One of my requirements is a new seat with a bolt in bracket available.
  • Steering wheel. I'm thinking Momo or Nardi.
  • Top Motoring rear coil overs to get the ass end lowered down where it should be.
  • Rear CV shafts - this is already in the works.
  • Late ZX 5 speed swap. I think when I do find one, I'm going to have it rebuilt with Nissan parts.
  • EDP rear wilwood disc brakes.
  • Front suspension.
  • Falken Azenis on the Hoshino's.
  • Body and paint.

Dude I know what you mean about the heater, there is nothing better than a fully functioning heater controls!! It makes perfect sense why nissan put them there, reaching down and manually turning the valve is a pain :D

After sitting in Dillon's 350z seats I want a set, they aren't bolt in but by the looks of it I can't see it being any tougher than fixing rusty floors :D

Some photos. I have had a blast working on the car and driving it. All of the parts I've installed this go around have worked as intended. The only real issue is I need to replace an axle seal on the LSD. That's a pretty easy fix. I'm getting the car aligned in the morning. Then, it gets to sit for a bit while I go back to work...

Driver's floor board before photo:

IMG_0177.JPG

After:

%2770%20510%20%20012.jpg

New AutoMeter Pro Comp Tach. I just didn't trust my engine to the stock tach wobbling all over the place. This one isn't mounted as well as I'd like. I'll sort it out a little down the road. I'm going to get the matching speedo.

%2770%20510%20%20011.jpg

New trunk lid with functioning lock - which I have a key for!!

%2770%20510%20%20010.jpg

4.11 R160 LSD complete with leaking seal on passenger side and polished cover:

%2770%20510%20%20009.jpg

New air filter setup. I love it. Absolutely top notch piece. K&N filter element with be installed once it comes in. Uses a Subaru air filter element. Clears brake master cylinder. This combined with the APT stub stacks made a noticeable difference in the way the engine sounds.

%2770%20510%20%20003.jpg

Engine bay as it sits now.

%2770%20510%20%20013.jpg

I am making some sort of progress on the car from afar. I went to the local Nissan dealership to order a set of R160 seals to fix my diff leak.

I'm also going to see if I can find the front half of a FS5W71B and a complete FS5W71C to start my transmission build and put it together in my hotel room..

I am making some sort of progress on the car from afar. I went to the local Nissan dealership to order a set of R160 seals to fix my diff leak.

I'm also going to see if I can find the front half of a FS5W71B and a complete FS5W71C to start my transmission build and put it together in my hotel room..

What did you get your r160 out of. an how do you identfy what trans is what. i got 2 short tail 4 speeds an 1 long an wold like to fgure out what they are.

if the local dealert isnt helpful, contact riley @ lynchburg nissan (w/ or w/o #'s) :cool:

has to be shipped, unless your in VA.

hotel room = maid service for all the oil spills :lol:

What did you get your r160 out of. an how do you identfy what trans is what. i got 2 short tail 4 speeds an 1 long an wold like to fgure out what they are.

510's come stock with R160 rear differentials.

Sounds like you have two short tail 4 speeds and a long tail 4 speed. That pretty much identifies them...

More parts for the car:

Seat covers for the stock seats. This just saved me a boat load of money. I love the way low back buckets look. I kept my stock seats, which were in bad shape. So, now I have an upholstery shop get the foam sorted out with some slight bolstering and put these on.

510covers.jpg

I will finally have a shifter boot!!

7aa1_1.JPG

Nearly brand new set of locks! I will now have a set of very good condition locks with matching '69 ignition key for sale..

b430_1.JPG8a36_1.JPG

I bought this one mostly for the map light and switch. I'm going to install the JDM bezel just to see if people notice it.

a605_1.JPG

I've always loved these. It will need some restoration. hang_510 hates that I got this:D

7630_3.JPG

Wow. I just read your whole thread. That's a lot of work. I have a couple questions for you though.

Why did you soak the fuse box in vinegar?

As you can see in this photo, the car had sat for a very long time. The engine compartment was VERY dirty. The fuse box was no exception. Soaking it in vinegar removes all oxidation and corrosion. Very easy and worth doing. Rinse it well afterwards and dry it off.

IMG_0154.JPG

What do you do that you have to be gone so much for so long?

I do high voltage testing for a electrical power consulting company. So, we go to where the work is. I've been on my current project since April. About two months left. I take a week off every 6-8 weeks and go home. I live in hotels when I'm at work. So, plenty of time for shopping for parts online and the forums.. I'm rarely online when I'm home.

I found out today that we are finished with the project I've been working on. So, I'm headed home Friday! The bonus is it looks like I'll have a week or two off to play cars.

Next weekend I get to pick up a good driver's door and this:

long%20tail%205spd%20%281%29.JPG

You can see in the photo above it is indeed the '81-'83 ZX 5 speed I've been holding out for.

transZ5speedlatecloseratio.jpg

I'm getting a driveline from a fellow Ratsuner. I also won these on eBay. Mine are covered in green funk.

adef_1.JPG

are you sure your rearend is leaking mine sweats a little and looks like it was leaking but i checked it the other day and after a year and a half it is still full .

Also when you drive it hard or fill it a little to full it will bleed out of the breather and come down the sides of the rear end and it will look like it is leaking