DO NOT BUY A/Z Reman Alts!

For the time being, I will HIGHLY suggest that you guys DO NOT buy any re manufactured Datsun/Hitachi alternators through Autozone! The vendor that provides us has a serious problem with their remans. In particular, part numbers 14303 and 14385.

14303 is an L series 60 amp. I've been through 4 of them. Last one had an internal short and smoked up.

14385 is an A series. This is the real problem alternator. I JUST installed one today on my A15 210, drove for about 4 miles, and MonkeyGirl turned to me, asked me what smelled funky. I stuck my head out the window, took a sniff, looked at my volt gauge that read 12V (read 14.8V leaving the driveway) and pulled into a parking lot. Jumped out, pupped the hood and the alternator was quite hotter then young Japanese hookers, and was producing a small cloud of smoke.

I had someone bring me my end wrenches and original alt, swapped it on and drove home with no issues.

Again, I would highly suggest you do NOT buy AZ re-manned Hitachi's.

I know, I work for the company, but I still don't want Ratsun'ers rides catching fire dry.gif I am beyond pissed off.

Also, this is not to say don't buy any for your Maxima, Titan or other daily driver. The two I/R alts above are the only problems I have seen so far mellow.gif

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Report to Consumer Product Safety Commission?

I will be.

I'll also be finding which company re manufactures them and I'll be contacting them demanding they refund my alternator or provide me with one that isn't going to kill my car dry.gif

:huh:

I have been saying this all along metalmonkey,,,,,,,, :P :lol: ollz ,,,

Sorry you have been a victim too ,,, but I found this out ,,, when you were like in middle school :lol:

EDIT: --- Do not buy ANY of their alternators ,,, fixed :lol: :lol: :lol: :D ,,,, ( really its a gamble at many places as we all know )

gah...

i already knew this a year ago.. arent you gonna get fired for shit talkin A/Z?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kefZFVUvITI

blink.gif Thats fucked up.;

I doubt it. I'm already looking into another job now, so they'd only be doing me a favour laugh.gif

I don't really blame Autozone for the problem, it's the vendor. We use the same vendors on most reman's as most other autoparts stores. it's just fucking retarted that I have to be fucking with this angry.gif

Get your alt rebuilt at a local rebuild shop. The one next to my house gives a 5 year warranty with the job.

I'll just do it myself. The reason I replaced it anyways was because the bearing was making noise and it looked like shit. I'll just order the bearing and save myself some money. I just don't feel like fucking with all of this. I'm glad I kept the old alt.

Edited by metalmonkey47

Ive been running a Napa "Gold Premium" reman alt in my 510(s) since 2004. Same alt probably has over 160K on it and it still functions flawlessly.

If it ever smokes out, i know of a neat rebuild shop in Auburn, CA =)

Yeah, you might want to edit this rant if you haven't already. Employers don't like shit talking if they find out.

As far as the alternators go, rebuilts are a mixed bag. I used to have really shitty luck with our NAPA rebuilds until we switched manufacturers a year ago or so. Interestingly enough, the California NAPAs use a different remanufacturer. That's why when someone from up here buys an alternator at a NAPA in Cali, and tries to warranty it up here, we tell them to contact the store in California, because we literally can't do anything about it. The part isn't in our system, can't be sent back for warranty. Best case, we can sell you a new one.

Either way, there are a few rebuilders in the US. Most make good products, but you always get that run of bad ones. I wish there was just an option for brand new alternators like there are for Chevys, but alas, we cheap Datsun bastards apparently haven't been buying loads of new parts. Oh yeah, and Chevy alternators crap out a dime a dozen, unlike the factory alternators that lasted for over 100k on our rigs! ;)

• 1 year later...

What brand are they? My alternator went out Thursday night, after dark -- and turns out is poor solder on a Remanufactured Hitachi.

The originals were good, the remans are Junk!

20120721_121543_DSC02816.jpg

Looks at that poor solder -- like it's not even there (bottom right lead). But worked good for a couple of years.

20120721_130133_DSC02842.jpg

two of the three diodes leads came loose

The brush leads were soldered by a child, from the looks of it. I am suprised it worked so long.

I bought it used at Pick-N-Pull, didn't notice it was a reman until it stopped working. Paid $12.50 for it.

What's the use of a 5 year replacement guarantee if it fucks up every 6 months? Get ride home in the dark, get vehicle towed home the next day, pull alternator out in the rain, get someone to drive you back to store, they don't have it in stock (no shit, it's for a 40 year old car) but they order you a free replacement, get someone to drive you back in a few days to get it, install in the dark so you have it for work the next day. If only one of the above happens every time it fucks up what good is a free replacement???

Sometimes free is too expensive.

• Like 1

Solder should never be used to hold things physically together. It's not a substitute for glue. Solder is too soft and weak for that and is only used to make an electrical connection. The pieces to be connected should be twisted together or otherwise connected before soldering.

That alt looks like solder was holding the wire to the terminal. Lead solder can't withstand vibration like that.

I've had far better luck with 150,000-250,000 mile used junkyard alternators than any "remanufactured" alternator. Even back when there were separate Al's Auto Supply and Schucks (20 years ago) the alternators, even with the "lifetime warranty" at best lasted 3 years. At worse, were DOA. Bad solder joints, incorrect parts, brushes with wires so short they floated off the commutator.

Unfortunately Hitachi alternators aren't the easiest to get internal parts for. The old Delco IR alternators, you can almost build one from parts off Rockauto. But I have found regulators, brushes, and diode sets online. More expensive than a junkyard alt though... which for me, usually last years.

I always had shit luck with re-man starters more so than alts. Back when I was still big block Ford Hi Po guru High School know it all, I used to put a new "Lifetime Guarantee" starter from Schuck's in my built 406 about every 60 days. It took me about a year to figure that one out... :rofl: I thought it was the heat from the headers. Oh to be young and dumb again ... NOT

Got a Duralast Gold Cadillac DeVille 140 amp alternator in the Z. I've noticed at times it'll switch off while cruising and volt gauge drops to 12+ or so. Seems to have stopped now that I have the charge lead going directly to the battery instead of through the harness, but still curious.

Also noticed that it'll switch off at times below 900 RPM. Any thoughts? Should I get it replaced? It's been on there for about two years now; charges beautifully when it's working properly.

I only go to autozone for belts,hoses and fluids. I have learned my lesson a long time ago. These big box parts store go to the cheapest vendors they can. These stores get most of their stuff from china. You get what you pay for!