JESUS ANOTHER 521 PROJECT!!!!!

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just purchased some SERIOUS and expensive suspension software to dial on the suspension on this truck were gonna be having to make ALOT of changes and hopefuly be able to offer up some nice stuff in the future that actually works not just fancy looking garbage. 

• Like 1
Just purchased some SERIOUS and expensive suspension software to dial on the suspension on this truck were gonna be having to make ALOT of changes and hopefuly be able to offer up some nice stuff in the future that actually works not just fancy looking garbage. 

Ill be right inline when it comes

Well we spent about 6 hours destroying our brains today. learned some interesting facts. Some of the things with the progam we cannot get it to compensate for like how caster angle affects the camber changes during body roll (at least we can't figure it out) Cause we physically tested it on our chassis and it will change for the better. the whole truck system is pretty far outta whack when you lower one. camber roll is really bad with body roll & dive on a lowered truck. So were rackin out brains in trying to get this sorted out. so needless to say a whole new upper control arm mount is gonna need to be fabricated to compensate for this and different control arms all together, But i think the lower arm piviot is ok.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Is it just me, or is your suspension arm going to bind and implode when you cycle it due to the pivots not being aligned on the same axis?  For instance, if you made it more extreme and instead of the left member's pivot being ~45° off axis you made it a full 90° it would be obvious that it wouldn't pivot correctly, but I think you have the same issues as they are now.  School me, I could very well be wrong.  I know it looks like you're using rod ends, but I think there will still be issue unless both members of the arm had pivots at the ball joint end too, but even then I think it would be messing with your KPI or caster through the range of travel.  Another way to look at it would be if your arm were to spin 180° around the cross rod, it would want to blow apart at the ball joint end.  Of course this would never happen, but you get what I'm sayin?

No idea what your saying lol If your taking about the rod ends crashing into the cross rod I'm going to add a saftey washers and possibly do some grinding. its all experimental so nothing is in stone yet just playing around with adjustability. as far as ball joint angles and stuff i dunno yet still gotta mess around with it i'm waiting on my actuall towers to get cut out before we can put it all together and find whatever issues will rear their ugly heads.

little upper a arm drawing gonna start on designing a lower arm maybe next weekend and getting roll center/ instant center #'s figured out se what we gotta do to make it handle better.

IMG_20130113_141714.jpg

Yeah, hard to explain and I can't fully wrap my head around it either without a model or actual mock-up.  Let's say this drawing is of the arm at perfectly horizontal/level.  The two axes along the mounting bolts allow your arms to point straight to your balljoint mount as desired.  If you swing the arm 90° out of the paper, the different axes cause the two rods (if they had solid bushings) to point straight out (perpendicular) of the paper instead of toward the balljoint mount like desired.  They are also now twisted about the axes of the rods in clockwise and counter-clockwise directions.  You won't ever have your arm pointing 90° from horizontal, but you could see 90° of travel from full droop to full compression and effectively experience the same thing. I suppose the rod ends can account for this without issue perhaps with normal spacers or more likely with high misalignment spacers, but somehow it seems like a bad idea to me...? 

I see what your saying. We don't have much travel with coilovers so I'm pretty sure it wont be a concern. And if it is we will cross that bridge when we get their. As for now "on paper" it has lots of room for caster camber changes on the truck. I can physically bolt this on to a stock truck soon as I get one arm tacked up and check rotation.

I went and checked the angle on a bottomed out upper arm I getting 25 degrees so our arm should sweep that easy I hope well we see as far ad castor changes through compression that's why its fully adjustable and the towers are completley different that stock so were gonna watch for it. Its still experimental. I do appreciate your input I knew we could possibly have that issue but without testing it I have no way of knowing for sure. This setup is limited to coilover travel. It would not be good for any rock crawling LOL.