Valentine

skyblue

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't listen to Mr Big, not all trucks can be projects, some have to be daily drivers like yours, I have a DD that I don't post much about also, I just keep that one running and post when I have to fix something, which is not often.

Your doing just fine, using it for what it was meant for, hauling things.  :thumbup:

You're right about the neglect. I'm a 510 guy true and through. But the truck does run and stop, so that's good enough for me. Only other thing I would do to it is lower the rear another inch. And replace kingpins. She's a good truck. Solid as they come. She gets put to work every now and then. Like wayno said, they were made for hauling not hauled. Lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so ce been wanting to lower the rear more. My options are:

-get 4 inch lowering blocks (currently has 3 inch)

Or

-remove a leaf or two

Or

-find some 4x4 leafs.

What would be the most "correct/proper" way to do it.

I would say 720 4X4 leafs and 2 inch blocks, with 3 inch blocks you are getting real close to having your lower shock mounts hit the ground if you have a flat, 4 inch blocks and you will be hitting, the fact is, with 3 inch blocks and 4X4 leafs, your frame will likely be resting on the axle unless you have notched it.

So imagine if my frame was not notched in the photo below, and that axle was another inch closer to where the frame would be, that is what you would have, basically, no rear suspension, the photo below is of a 720 frame with 4X4 leafs and 2 inch blocks, the 521 and 720 have basically the same clearances, except the stock 2wd 720 leafs sag more than the 521 leafs

DSCN1701.JPG

You are not going to have much rear suspension any route you go unless you notch it, I will go back a couple pages and see if you have indeed notched the frame now. :lol:

Ok. Thanks guys. So I guess I'll be on the prowl for some 4x4 leafs.

Wayno my frame is not notched. I'd have to take it somewhere to do that cause my welding skills are not up to par.

The fact is that I don't weld that good either, as I cannot see what I am doing half the time, I do alright on a flat surface that has flood lights pointed at the work, but if I were going for a grade at a welding school, I would fail.

The only reason that my stuff doesn't fall apart is because over build everything, I brace the shit out of stuff, sometimes my braces have braces, I also look at what I just did, and if I don't like it, I grind it off and do it over again.  :lol:

You will not have but a few inches of suspension with 4X4 leafs,  2 inch drop blocks, and no bump stops, I have just over 3 inches clearance with stock 2wd 720 leafs, 2 1/2 inch drop blocks, and no bump stops, I still hit the frame every once in a while, but not very hard usually, mostly I hit going to fast over speed bumps, or when I am hauling a lot of shit in my 521KC.

Does the 4x4 leaf give you like a 2" drop already.

I heard it was a 3 inch drop, but some are saying it is less than 2 inches, I could not tell you, as when I do something, I over do it, I don't just change a leaf spring, I notch the frame, I remount the front leaf mount higher, I change what drop blocks I am using, I don't just change one thing at a time, but I usually am trying to accomplish more than one thing at a time also.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

went to the pnp to get zx struts for the 510 last week and found a 521 that was pretty picked over. but there was something still on it that i wanted.

DE2ADDF1-C649-4CEB-9FC0-A9EE682F2E04-168

just have to clean it up and pit it in. not sure if speaker is good, only one way to find out.

• Like 1

went to the pnp to get zx struts for the 510 last week and found a 521 that was pretty picked over. but there was something still on it that i wanted.

DE2ADDF1-C649-4CEB-9FC0-A9EE682F2E04-168

just have to clean it up and pit it in. not sure if speaker is good, only one way to find out.

open it up and put a good speaker in there 

• 2 weeks later...