Valentine

skyblue

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys I'm new to ratsun, figured I'd join to learn what I can about my new 521. It's a big project and I'm pretty much starting from scratch. The previous owner put a Nissan SR20DET engine in it but lost interest so that's where I come in. The engine is not running as it needs to be wired up (have an auto electrician looking at that) and a few mechanical things tidied up before its driveable. It has a huge abnoctious front mount intercooler on it which i intend to remove and hide a smaller one behind the grille. 

I don't have any pics to upload right now but will get into that for those who may be interested in seeing it.

I would like to know if anyone could tell me if the diffs on the 521's are strong? i.e will it handle the power from the 2 liter turbo sr20det engine?

Also does anyone know where i can find a rust free bonnet or even a fiber glass one?

Thanks!! :)

Welcome aboard you have a mate there in New Zealand with one of the nicest 521's i have seen.If some one can find him that would be great.The white one with the lowered bed skirts.

I've heard the 521 diffs are pretty strong. but don't quote me on that.

as for the bonnet search, do u mean hood? there  should be no probem finding one. the problem will be the shipping, it will be pricey. i think.

and lets see some pics of your ride.

retarded the timing today to try  to get more mpgs cause these gas prices are getting ridick! definitely feel loss of power, so if i doesnt make a huge difference in mpgs i'll put it back.

Also noticed i've got a coolant leak at the intake gasket on the first exhaust port. Now i know why the PO globbed on a  bunch of rtv on the intake gasket. last time i did it i removed all that nasty rtv and put it back together clean. whichj wasn't too long ago. and now it's leaking. crap on a cracker.

motor at the moment

3e660af4-9ceb-4f35-9d5a-45b27398c775_zps

Welcome aboard you have a mate there in New Zealand with one of the nicest 521's i have seen.If some one can find him that would be great.The white one with the lowered bed skirts.

Thanks, I haven't actually seen any 521's here they're pretty rare, let alone nice ones. I'll keep an eye out for it and see if I can find any pictures.

I've heard the 521 diffs are pretty strong. but don't quote me on that.

as for the bonnet search, do u mean hood? there  should be no probem finding one. the problem will be the shipping, it will be pricey. i think.

and lets see some pics of your ride.

They seem pretty solid but I guess I'll find out if it blows while im doing donuts  haha  :P

And yes I mean hood, can you point me in the right direction?

I'll upload a pic of the truck as it is now, the front guards/fenders are at the panel shop being prep'd for paint. It's looking pretty rough at the moment haha but you'll get an idea of what im working with

Last fuel run 28 mpg.....better then anything else I got ....crushes my mazda s mileage

damn...thats hella good. i get bout 23 with stock timing. i think theres something wrong with my carb.

They seem pretty solid but I guess I'll find out if it blows while im doing donuts  haha  :P

And yes I mean hood, can you point me in the right direction?

I'll upload a pic of the truck as it is now, the front guards/fenders are at the panel shop being prep'd for paint. It's looking pretty rough at the moment haha but you'll get an idea of what im working with

haha. yea fuck it.

well for starters you can post in the Datsun parts wanted section.

and keep an eye on the parts for sale section.

Let's do it .......I think my mileage is in correct prolly closer to yours...... I have the wrong speedo gear in my tranny and my speedo is off by a bit

Yea!

I have the same thing. My speedo is incorrect. So my calculations are not very accurate. I changed the Toni g back cause it was running like shit. Rather have power than good mpgs.

Loose the spaid connectors at the coil. Use full closed eye connectors like the factory under the nuts.  May solve problems.  From the pictures of the coil in the truck it does have a bracket that is standard with the matchbox coils and does look to be a matchbox/HEU coil.  Buy a new coil from NAPA

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=ECHIC83_0330861164

Loose the spaid connectors at the coil. Use full closed eye connectors like the factory under the nuts.  May solve problems.  From the pictures of the coil in the truck it does have a bracket that is standard with the matchbox coils and does look to be a matchbox/HEU coil.  Buy a new coil from NAPA

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=ECHIC83_0330861164

Thx for the info. But I'm not sure to what it is referring to. At the moment she's running great. Only issue left to tackle is the vibration I get on the freeway. And need to go more lowar!

Yes, I get what he is saying. But it just seemed like a random bit of advice. Maybe he was referring to my spark problems I had back in 2011. But I have since resolved that issue. Thanks nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

So i was gone for a while,whats up with the turtles song from none other then Jrock.

haha. the turlte song is a remix of this original news cast

because of the random bit of advice from charlie69