My Introduction to Ratsun

oldskoolvws

Hi All,

I've been lurking long enough I guess. Real short history, avid VW fan, used to be into type 1's (bug), but now type 17's (MK1 rabbit). Along with that habit, Datsun as well. I've had 4 521's as well as a 510. All seemed like projects even though many were a lot more finished than others. Anywho about 6 years ago, I got rid of my last Datsun; 71 521 project with an immaculate body that had a japan spec L16 with a dogleg 5 because the parts for the Rabbits and Datsuns got out of hand as in no room for anything. Sold every Datsun part I owned except for a dual DCOE manifold and 521 NOS chrome window sills.

Fast forward, and here I am again. Sold 2 of my VW's and now I own only one MK1 and again I own a 521. Many of you may have seen it on E-Bay for extreme amounts of cash. I couldn't resist, made a few calls and and I bought it sight unseen. Rented a U-Haul and picked it up from SoCal and brought it to NorCal.

Anyway, initially, I was going to keep it as a pure unmolested 521. But many of you will notice the small subtle changes that will make it impossible to bring back to original such as the absence of the bed hooks. Further investigation shows that it is an L20/W56 combo with a dogleg. So now I'm on the fence on what I am going to do with it.

Right now, the list looks something like this (going for the oldskool feel):

Front Disk Brakes

Headers

Dual 40MM's

Cam (anyone?)

Different Head (anyone?)

There's a drop in here somewhere too

And the repair / want to change list looks something like this:

Fuse box

Window felt / scrapers

Radio (UGLY!)

Clean and paint the engine bay to match

Engine clean-up

Anyway, been out of the Datsun game way too long. Feel like a newbie and going to need some brain refills from you guys. I'll look for some old pics of the 521's of back in the day.

Happy New Year!

Pat

Proof it exists:

cars001j.jpg

cars017.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good looker.

That has to be one of my favorite 521 paint colors.

I personally prefer them without the bed hooks.

I don't care how stock they look with them, I've just hooked too many belt loops on them and they were the first thing I cut off my '71

Dig your new rig and your old rides! Thanks for sharing the pics. Can't wait to see the updates!

I personally prefer them without the bed hooks.

I don't care how stock they look with them, I've just hooked too many belt loops on them and they were the first thing I cut off my '71

Needs to be lowered then the hooks would be below belt level :)

Dude that truck is very nice. I would only say please leave the original fusebox in or at least buy a new one. I just took mine out and had it bead blasted. There is one seller on ebay you can buy new ones from.

As far as the radio goes i know it sucks but if you remove it please dont cut the din piece out so an original cant go back in.

All else sounds good to me.

Maybe a 219 v912 w53 a87 head with side drafts.

Thought I'd bring some oldskool. Pics of my old truck and a few of my friends back in 1988. Obviously this was before body drops and air bag suspensions.

s01jq.jpg

Cheeeeee!!!! Where have these trucks gone? This pic was taken in Kaneohe yea? KILLER 521's. The Burnt Auburn with the slots is perfection.

-Brian

Cheeeeee!!!! Where have these trucks gone? This pic was taken in Kaneohe yea? KILLER 521's. The Burnt Auburn with the slots is perfection.

-Brian

Waimanalo Gym. My truck, Steven and Tony. Good times back then. Also had one more we used to hang with. Had a Buick V6 in it. The good old days. I'll post some more pics of my truck soon.

Anyone notice the rag on Tony's truck, the last one?

Wowzers, I felt like I was reading my intro post! My twist on the story is selling my MK1 and buying my 521.....I'll be keeping the aircooleds though.

this was her

DSC06300.jpg

How did you mount your Fuchs? I got a friend who has a set on his Caddy, but he's trying to go wider on the front and is having brake issues.

How did you mount your Fuchs? I got a friend who has a set on his Caddy, but he's trying to go wider on the front and is having brake issues.

15mm and 20mm H&R adapters. Wheels are deep 6's and only looked right with the flares IMO. What kind of brake issue? Gonna be tough to go any wider on a emkay one I believe, at least with Fuchs, without modifying the hubs instead of using adapters. My deeps had an et38 and with the 15mm adapters it reduced it to et23 which is pushing what will fit 'under' a mk1 with flares. I had a set of 7" BBS et24 with no adapters on it that fit amazingly and had a great ride with 195/45's but it just wouldn't go low enough to suit me.

Your truck looks great BTW. It's funny our 521's are the same color, pretty cool how many volkswagen peeps are into datsuns too....I pretty much dig all old cars though

15mm and 20mm H&R adapters. Wheels are deep 6's and only looked right with the flares IMO. What kind of brake issue? Gonna be tough to go any wider on a emkay one I believe, at least with Fuchs, without modifying the hubs instead of using adapters. My deeps had an et38 and with the 15mm adapters it reduced it to et23 which is pushing what will fit 'under' a mk1 with flares. I had a set of 7" BBS et24 with no adapters on it that fit amazingly and had a great ride with 195/45's but it just wouldn't go low enough to suit me.

Your truck looks great BTW. It's funny our 521's are the same color, pretty cool how many volkswagen peeps are into datsuns too....I pretty much dig all old cars though

I forget exactly but IIRC, he's trying to stuff either 7" or 8" OEM's under there. He'll suceed eventually I'm sure as he has the resources to get everything fabbed and ordered.

My MK1 is Inari Silver (aka green) too. I'm currently in the process of sticking a fully rebuilt Heron 1.6 into it. Right now I'll run a Euro CIS, but eventually it will be Duall 40mm's. Probably only one here in the states. On the Vortex under same screen name. I'm the guy who has not one, but two NOS Callaway Turbo kits, one A/C and one Non-A/C, true oldskool ;-)