Izzos 521

izzo

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it runs strong at times and not at others......it's not a compression prob :) If the filter went dry, I'd be looking at the fuel pick up in the tank. If you just filled it up, I'll bet you stirred up a bunch of crap in the tank. As a temp way to check it, you can run from a 5 gallon jug strapped in the back. If the prob goes away.....drop the tank and clean it or get it cleaned at a radiator shop. I only scanned the posts, so if I missed something and I'm way off....sorry :) good luck!

If it runs strong at times and not at others......it's not a compression prob :) If the filter went dry, I'd be looking at the fuel pick up in the tank. If you just filled it up, I'll bet you stirred up a bunch of crap in the tank. As a temp way to check it, you can run from a 5 gallon jug strapped in the back. If the prob goes away.....drop the tank and clean it or get it cleaned at a radiator shop. I only scanned the posts, so if I missed something and I'm way off....sorry :) good luck!

Yeah, i am pretty positive its a fuel prob, dont think its electricity otherwise it shouldn't run at all.

Oh well, 50 bucks for a trailer for a day, ill just rent it drag it home and deal with it. Seems easier then to keep going out there, or to get a ride back out there and have it do it again for some reason.

Its ran great up until now, so i'd think thats all it should be. I have spare fuel pumps etc. Once i get it home ill disconnect the line, blow it out, put another new filter on and see what happens. I dont think the carb is clogged due to when it runs, it runs smooth.

You said the the clear filter was dirty the second time it died? I have had that happen also, it turned out the tank was full of rust, it would plug up the pickup tube in the tank, after the engine would die the crap would fall off the pickup tube, then I could get it started again, I would blow air into the tank threw the fuel hose to clear it, but it would just do it again, if the truck sat for long periods of time, the tank has rusted. Either pull the tank and replace it, or pull it apart and shake the rust out, buy a bunch of lead shot and put it in the tank and shake it around to break all the rust off you can, then empty it out, and then get a tank sealer at the local parts store(don't get cheap), I use Bill Hirsch "gas tank sealer", (800)828-2061, but it has to be ordered from Newark NJ, I don't beleave your going to wait that long. The stuff is AWESOME. It baffled me that I could run out of gas with a full tank.

You said the the clear filter was dirty the second time it died? I have had that happen also, it turned out the tank was full of rust, it would plug up the pickup tube in the tank, after the engine would die the crap would fall off the pickup tube, then I could get it started again, I would blow air into the tank threw the fuel hose to clear it, but it would just do it again, if the truck sat for long periods of time, the tank has rusted. Either pull the tank and replace it, or pull it apart and shake the rust out, buy a bunch of lead shot and put it in the tank and shake it around to break all the rust off you can, then empty it out, and then get a tank sealer at the local parts store(don't get cheap), I use Bill Hirsch "gas tank sealer", (800)828-2061, but it has to be ordered from Newark NJ, I don't beleave your going to wait that long. The stuff is AWESOME. It baffled me that I could run out of gas with a full tank.

Thanks for the heads up Wayno! The filter was just full the second time, full of fuel. Its a glass filter so i can see inside of it, looked very clean, especially since it was the secondary filter :D....

This is the second time i have filled it up, first time it didn't have this problem at all, but then again i only drove it short distances. Ill get it sorted out hopefully tomorrow. Sucks ass, i was suppsoed to go work on the dime tomorrow. Maybe if i get it fixed i can go monday, but doubt it.

Thanks for the heads up Wayno! The filter was just full the second time, full of fuel. Its a glass filter so i can see inside of it, looked very clean, especially since it was the secondary filter :D....

This is the second time i have filled it up, first time it didn't have this problem at all, but then again i only drove it short distances. Ill get it sorted out hopefully tomorrow. Sucks ass, i was suppsoed to go work on the dime tomorrow. Maybe if i get it fixed i can go monday, but doubt it.

This sucks! Your really close to my house. If I were home I could tow you there and we could trouble shoot it!

you didn't tell me you just filled up!

Yup, about 20 minutes before it started acting up.

This sucks! Your really close to my house. If I were home I could tow you there and we could trouble shoot it!

Hah yeah its cool man, im just gonna tow it in the morning. Ill bring the motor out another time looks like! Maybe monday if i get it sorted out. Ill pull the sending unit out and take a peek tomorrow

Yeah rusty tanks suck ass, a different car i had done the same shit turned out to be the tank,

ghetto way of cleaning it out,

threw about 2lbs of clean rocks in it, strapped it to the bowl of dads little cement mixer put a little water in it, then walked away for a couple of hours came back and it was brand new inside then i bought this stuff you put in your tank that puts a skin on the inside of it i cant remember what its called, worked a treat!!!!

Got home a while ago with the truck, i left the glass filter on there so i could see if fuel was flowing, and added a new primary filter. The truck started up and ran like it was running off fumes, finally after a minute fuel shot into the glass filter. I checked out the old primary, it had a bunch of sediment in it, as well as the glass filter now. Ill clean it out in a bit.

Ran the truck for a while, revving up and down, once the wife gets home ill take it on another test run after i clean the glass filter out.

Hope this solves it!

What a piece of crap!! I think you should just sell it. You know I would be willing to take it off your hands so you don't have to bother getting a trailer to drag this piece of crap home.

I would be willing to offer your $75 to make up for all your troubles this dang thing has caused you.

Anyway, think it over and let me know.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In all seriousness, just blow the FUEL SUPPLY line back into the tank, then pull the tank after you drain it into a couple cans. I'm with Wayn and Mike, it has to be the fuel supply being restricted.

Might even pull the top off the carb and see how the inside looks. Bet there is a bunch of crap in there too. There is probably a reason he put two filters on there.

Hey Jes, make it 1500 and you gotta deal :rofl:

Yeah, after replacing the filters, i cruised around a bit. it was a little hesitant at first. I hit a back road and opened it up a bit, and now theres a bunch of floaties in my glass filter again. Ill clean it tomorrow, and do it again.

I need to wash the top of the tank off, its filthy!! Once i do that, ill probably just keep an eye on the gas till it gets low, then pull it out. Most of the stuff i see is pretty small little pieces, the biggest was about the size of a pen tip. I just went out and took it for another ride, seemed fine. Might venture out to longview, then tenino tomorrow. well see. I'd hate to have that problem going across the bridge or between longview & tenino, not much out there!

You just spent $50 to get the thing home and your willing to "try" it again? I think your crazy. I would just dump the tank and make sure it's clean. Keep an extra pump and filter with you, THEN try it again.

Eh, maybe i am crazy ollz.. I ran it a few times and changed the filters in between, i haven't seen any more sediment in the filters, not saying there is no more tho. I don't have a way to properly drain the tank, so really i just need to run it out of gas then drop it.

make sure you take a 5 gal gas can and enough fuel line to make a temp tank...alot cheaper than a tow.....

You know it!

I hear what your saying, sometimes it just doesn't work out that you can do some stuff. For anyone else, you can go to a quality paint store and buy a paint filter that will fit a 5 gallon bucket. Put it on an empty bucket and drain the tank into it. It will catch all the crap in your tank and your "new" gas can be put back in when your done.

Good luck Tim.

I hear what your saying, sometimes it just doesn't work out that you can do some stuff. For anyone else, you can go to a quality paint store and buy a paint filter that will fit a 5 gallon bucket. Put it on an empty bucket and drain the tank into it. It will catch all the crap in your tank and your "new" gas can be put back in when your done.

Good luck Tim.

Thats a good idea :D

I might be able to come up with something, really wish i had a tiny fuel pump. That'd do wonders! Meh, got so much to do and no time off to do it is another factor. Having hot water heater issues, and my land lords want me to repipe the entire house instead of just replacing the hot water heater... On my days off, i have a pile of other shit to do or something comes up. I really need to get down to nismo dr's house and get that dime running and up here.

I took my 520 tank to a radiator shop to have cleaned $60 and a second tank it looked like new. First tank was so badly rusted it had holes it it after hot tanking it.

I would look for a tank that you can clean while running the other tank.

I took my 520 tank to a radiator shop to have cleaned $60 and a second tank it looked like new. First tank was so badly rusted it had holes it it after hot tanking it.

I would look for a tank that you can clean while running the other tank.

Not a bad idea, ill put up a want ad and see what the scoop is. I guess if i cant find anything, or my tank is bad off. Then i could just pull the bed and put a fuel cell where the current tank is. I can weld so it wont be hard.

Thanks for the input.

Not a bad idea, ill put up a want ad and see what the scoop is. I guess if i cant find anything, or my tank is bad off. Then i could just pull the bed and put a fuel cell where the current tank is. I can weld so it wont be hard.

Thanks for the input.

Don't go cutting up that truck! :P I thing there is a drain plug in the bottom of the tank. Pull it off and let all of the shit drain out. Put in a couple of gallons of fresh gas and then drive the shit out of it to get it all mixed up. Drain it again. Might work until you have the time to pull and clean the tank.