Izzos 521

izzo

Alright

Am thinking that it was not a fuel problem when it died on me. Every time it has fallen on its face, is roughly ~1 hour into driving it. It falls on its face! FACE, FALLS ON ollz... anyways. if i had my foot half throttle before hte second barrel opened. it ran poopy, and seemed like it was having a hard time. If i opened it all the way up, it ran fine. Cruising down the road, its hesitant and jerky. I turned the choke on half way and it drove without a problem. Thinking its a vacuum leak somewhere, not sure where but ill get some brake cleaner and try it out. Hard part is driving it for an hour before testing it :\ Not much time. Think i might just get a few gaskets and replace them, as well as put some lock washers on the weber since previous owner didnt...

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

get motor running.

Put hand over main barrell and stick a screw river in the 2nd barrel to open it. truck should run on the 2nd barrel once you get the rpms up.

If truck run on idle then idle circut is OK.

I can only assume the main fuel jet is plugged with rust/dirt. cause if you choke it your causing the 2nd barrel jet to suck in the gas. and when you cycle the gas the main barrle accel pump is squirting gas in the manifold to make it seem like its somewhat OK.

I bet if you open the filter and was bad maybe you got a junk of dirt in the main jet at bottom of fuel bowl.

If your ok at idle then there is NO vauum leak. otherwise it wouldnt idle. so need to tighten anything up.

most time even with the vac adv not hooked up most motors will idle ok.

make sure the fuel tube in the wheel whell is nice and clamped as dirtand water can get behind the filler tube and cause lots of water/ rust in tank and small dirt particles also.

I know!!!!!!!!idle jets always cloggin carb run one stock filter and a clear one till it looks Ok then I go back to only using the stock one

Ezist way to trouble shoot this is swap a a carb out. If its a weber its EZ if stock carb then might as well get a weber as the stock carbs are a nightmare to put back together. Hell put soem money in it and get one if it dont have a weber as you only paid 50$ for the truck

I see what you are saying, i just dont have money to be putting in it right yet

it seems like its only having issues when its warmed up, or ran for about an hour. i should have tomorrow off, and ill take the top off and check the bowl and maybe remove the jets and clean them out well. see if that does anything

weber looks fairly new

Do a mexican tune up first.

Reve the motor and put a rag over the top .so its suck up everything in carb.

I would swap a known good weber first before tearing a weber down. just to be sure .that why a ratsun member should always have a spare weber ready to go.

. I say swap weber and just use your hand as a linkage. this is the fastest way to ck.

maybe soemthing heats up and then there is a vacuum leak.

I know the thin weber adapters can have a crack if overtighten but usually at idle youll catch this.

Do a mexican tune up first.

Reve the motor and put a rag over the top .so its suck up everything in carb.

I would swap a known good weber first before tearing a weber down. just to be sure .that why a ratsun member should always have a spare weber ready to go.

. I say swap weber and just use your hand as a linkage. this is the fastest way to ck.

maybe soemthing heats up and then there is a vacuum leak.

I know the thin weber adapters can have a crack if overtighten but usually at idle youll catch this.

Ill give that a try thanks Hainz. Its funny you mention that actually. My brother in law had a 720 and sometimes it would Die on him, he would do that exact thing, rev up and put a rag on the top! Said it worked for him every time, and every few months he'd have to do it again.

Gives me some ideas, i dont have a spare weber tho or cash to get one right now. Ill have to work with what i got.

After i try that and peek around ill report back :D

I will do it right.

Going to take the top of the carb off and look in the gas bowl. Then maybe pull the jets out and take a peek at them to see if they are clogged. Soon as I get a day off ill be cleaning the gas tank out. Going to run just the glass filter for now so i can see anything coming thru the line.

The bolts dont have lock washers on them, so ill put some on. While im doing so, i may lift the carb up a little just to double check for cracks. Not by any means giving up on this. Just trying to get it fixed with what i got

Sounds just like my adventure with my 521.....tank was so rusty I pushed it atleast 15 times before I mounted a keg gas can in the back. Then I started running out of gas because I didn't know when empty was with no gauge.....ha ha man it sucked terrible.....walking all over Puyallup...I5...167 and 512 at all hours!

It cuts after its warmed up, or after driving ~1 hour. seems to run ok with the choke on a bit.

didnt know the second barrel opened up with the choke on, i thought it allowed less air to flow into the carb. thus creating less air and would balance it if there was a slight vacuum leak.

meh, the glass filter on the truck is clean.

Any chance that this is due to a bad gas cap? Should it have a vented cap? If the tank is not vented it will cause the tank to draw a vaccum, and the pump cant pump fuel anymore. And usually only happens after longer driving times.

Just something to look into. And damn near free.

Could be? I wouldn't think so, it looks to be the original gas cap. Ill try 2 get a pic later.

Today it idled a little funny after it warmed up before i drove it. Work is only about 10 blocks so i dont have to go far. Ill pull the gas cap and run it for a bit n see what happens.

fired it up, let it warm up. ran fine. Pulled the top of the weber off, saw a couple floaties in there but nothing serious. Cleaned it out anyways, took the jets & everything else out and inspected it, all clean. Let it run for a while longer. It revved up fine, just fell on its face when i tried driving. I took it for a run around some back roads and it cleared up. Ill go for another drive later and see if it does it again. tank sounds about empty when i tapped it, might be able to get it dropped in the next few days.

going to rent a trailer and tow my dime home tomorrow, so itll have to wait.

going to rent a trailer and tow my dime home tomorrow, so itll have to wait.

sweet

I was just talkin to ed and told him you should just pull the engine harness out for me and Ill rewire it so its correct for the matchbox.

thats the only reason it wouldnt be running atm, gotta be the wiring for the spark

sweet

I was just talkin to ed and told him you should just pull the engine harness out for me and Ill rewire it so its correct for the matchbox.

thats the only reason it wouldnt be running atm, gotta be the wiring for the spark

Man your awesome. Does the engine bay harness go into the firewall and under the dash? If not i might be able to yank it tomorrow and leave it, if it does, i can probably mail it to you or next time im that way bring it.

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped the gas tank today, swished it around and it sounded like sand n junk sliding around inside. rinsed it a bunch of times best i could till i didn't hear the sound anymore. Looked inside with a flash light and swished it around and didn't see any more gunk. Replaced 2 of the hoses, dont know which ones, but did what i could for now. The rest will be easy to get to and replace later. REALLY need a new filler hose, its beyond cracked...

Ton of stuff surrounding the vapor tank, same stuff that was in the tank, i washed it down real good, broke a piece off so now i need a new vapor tank. But, its easy to get to so no worries.

Cleaned out the glass filter, put a new filter element inside, took the weber apart and cleaned out the bowl, pulled the jets and everything out and cleaned them out. Just waiting on the wife to get home so i can go get a can of gas and see what happens.

Picture coming in a few minutes, you can see the shit that was in the tank, in the glass filter. Muddy/sandy looking junk.

IMG_20110208_141526.jpg

IMG_20110208_130530.jpg

IMG_20110207_150124.jpg

IMG_20110207_150055.jpg

IMG_20110207_150033.jpg

Bitch tits.

Still slightly hesitant, kinda jumpy. hard to explain. When i mean slightly, its every so slight. Someone else might not notice it. It hauls ass like it should now, and ill feel 100% better once i get a new filler neck on it.

When i pulled the carb apart, there were three screws in the bottom of the bowl, two small ones on the side, and one large one. I pulled them all out and cleaned them out, after i cleaned the bowl out. Then i pulled the 3 screws on the top of the bowl out and cleaned them out.

Am i missing one or were those it?

Haha!

Yeah ill run to filters. Today it didn't like taking off from a stop, acted like the gas got shut off, then while driving it bogged a bit. Cleaned everything in the carb out, including the jets n such, but i forgot the accelerator pump (thanks micro). Hoping that takes care of it.

Alright, so after cleaning and inspecting the gas tank, i was good to go. Well, some how more junk got in there. Its pissing me off, its not like i get days off where its sunny out so yanking it out is a PITA in the puddles..

I cleaned the filter a few times, took the weber all apart, chokes, accel pump, jets, etc, and cleaned them all out, cleaned the bowl out. Took the vent tank out and bypass it in the bed. Thats the only thing left i can figure where its getting in at, i just replaced the hoses and they are good n tight.

Should be good to go now, guess well see. Think imma venture out to home depot and see what happens.