Remember Meeeee????

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sixty-nine, i knew id seen that car before! i was behind you on I5 south in the red 521. you were shooting turtle chunks everywhere! fuckin ridiculous man. crazy low

dude!! i was on my way to a photo shoot and was gonna try to run out and see if you wanted to go, your truck is so sick! but man i went to go switch lanes and saw you right there and tried to get back over so i wouldnt hit the truck with road turtles but it was too late. sorry if i hit your truck, it wasnt intentional. but like i said i love your truck and if you sell it you should let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Can you post pics of your front suspension/coilover? want to go low but unsure where to weld the perch and how much higher id be than you?

And are these the inserts you used? thanks in advance

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/7190-05118031.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_term=1975-1984+Volkswagen+Rabbit+Strut+Insert+KYB+75-84+Volkswagen+Strut+Insert+82+83&utm_content=DN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

• 4 weeks later...

Can you post pics of your front suspension/coilover? want to go low but unsure where to weld the perch and how much higher id be than you?

And are these the inserts you used? thanks in advance

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/7190-05118031.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_term=1975-1984+Volkswagen+Rabbit+Strut+Insert+KYB+75-84+Volkswagen+Strut+Insert+82+83&utm_content=DN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

no coilovers just shortened struts but yes those are the inserts i used. the exact ones i think. i will post suspension pics in a few days, gotta make this a build thread again instead of just new pics.. snapped a tie rod due to it hitting my frame because of the lack of bumpsteer spacers so im redoing the suspension and gonna go lower but gotta raise the rear cross member and tranny first. That way i can go lower while scraping the same amount that i do now. Still want it to be driveable lol. Gotta make it to canby this year! but since i pulled this thread from the grave i might as well post some pics so everyones happy=] if you have negative comments please click the little red x at the top right of the screen, but constructive criticism is welcomed.

5463834498_b5f332663b_b.jpg

5463236343_e6459d5c0d_b.jpg

5463233579_f69ca4ffde_b-1.jpg

5508303705_e97cdb49a2_z-Copy.jpg

5509606941_cdd23a4252_b.jpg

5510206248_a604098757_b.jpg5513768450_2832914c9f_b-Copy.jpg

5513768440_8da5c2f6ca_b.jpg

5513752310_562f2c36af_b.jpg

5513768432_867690c72b_b-Copy.jpg

5513768426_07c9277f0d_b.jpg

5513752328_5ec515f663_b-Copy.jpg5513752300_e0625a21ec_b-Copy.jpg5510208068_45aa835c69_b-Copy.jpg5504705455_4827438020_o.jpg

and of course the damage. This happened right after nearly topping my car out on the freeway (ka24de with r180, something around 3.3 ratio or something?). luckily it broke as i was pulling in my driveway. I honestly think my car is like a gaurdian angel, it has saved my life countless times. ive snapped 2 tie rods, had a welded diff lock on me, wheels fall off, have had some one steal my lugs, all kinds of unsafe shizz. it counters most of my stupidity lol but i honestly feel safer in my 510 then any other car. weird huh?

_MG_0952.jpg

Props for driving this thing. I don't think I could do it. Looks so good! I hope you do make it to canby. I want to see this in real life.

What are your plans for the suspension?

just the simple stuff. First and foremost, BUMP STEER SPACERS!! Gonna get 2 inch ones made, hopefully they will fit the 15x8's i plan on running. Other than that im ordering ground control front coilovers, shorter adjustable front inserts, techno toy tuning rear coilovers, tc rods, and lca's and s13 camberplates. Also planning on slotting the rear crossmember to hopefully get rid of some of the camber in the rear.

any ideas of a good spring rate for a car this low? i know theres not much room for travel so a little on the stiffer side would be good. I'm thinking 500-600lbs springs in the front and 800-1000lbs in the rear, but not quit sure what to use.

I'd like to do s13 coilovers when i get some free time. work kills.

well i just jizzed in my pants....

this shit is sick... i miss drivin my truck even more now...

i think a new build thread is in order to house all this great new lowness action...

oh yeah, nice collection of turtles.. ollz

ha nice. ive been away for a while so i missed it, but how come your not driving it??

i was thinking about starting a fresh thread too for when i actually tear it apart and redo stuff. as of right now i dont look at it as a project any more so ill probably put it in the 510 section.

and thanks lol

So did you break the tie rod because it hits the body or because the end is bottoming out? Either way that is some scary shit.

If I may offer a few recommendations for your suspension plans here they are. I'm pretty sure that you are running rabbit inserts and you say that you want to go shorter. I have the same inserts and have to say that I think they are a bit to short. I have cycled the suspension without springs to check for clearance with the moving parts. I did this with and without the wheels on the car. What I found is that with the 205/50-15 tires that are on my car, the tire hits the inner fender well about 1" before the shock hits the bumpstop. So unless you plan on tubbing the front wheel wells, I would say that the rabbit inserts are short enough. Also, you may consider raising the front lca pivot and t/c rod pivot. This will at least help bring your front suspension geometry into the range of somewhat normal.

With regards to the bumpsteer spacers, I would say that the 2" ones are not going to fit, even with the 15" wheels. 1" should be good though.

If you raise the front LCA pivots and raise the T/C rods ....... you NEED to modify the steering arms,,, only problem is: then the outer tie rod is even lower ..... :(

For the rear...... I've got the same problem Duke has for the front....... after notching the body for my Rear Control Arms now the tires hit the center seam on the rear wheel wells

..... and that's after the biggest Mini-tub possible.... .. :( .... .. so watch out for that if your raising the rear crossmember,... but I have 225/45/16 rear tires

duke, wheel clearance isnt an issue with 165/55/14's or 165/50/15's, but i see what your saying, thats the reason im running such small tires, id love to have more meat under there but theres no room when your this low. ive wanted to take the springs out and see what happens for a while but have been to lazy. i will this weekend tho, and if i remember correctly i took out the bump stops in the front as well as the back. indy i was hoping you would pop in on this thread, ive seen what you've done and like it. glad you popped in for pointers=] how far did u guys raise the lca's, and what about the steering needs modified?

Your car shouldn't be on the roads. You brag about life threatening failures that could get someone killed?

I understand you like the stance but you need to take responsibility and make the car safe before risking the life of people around you!

• Like 2

Your car shouldn't be on the roads. You brag about life threatening failures that could get someone killed?

I understand you like the stance but you need to take responsibility and make the car safe before risking the life of people around you!

im sorry, did u mess the little red x at the top right of your screen?

gtfo.

• Like 2

ha nice. ive been away for a while so i missed it, but how come your not driving it??

i was thinking about starting a fresh thread too for when i actually tear it apart and redo stuff. as of right now i dont look at it as a project any more so ill probably put it in the 510 section.

and thanks lol

its pretty much fallin apart from being my daily for 3 years... i havent put a dime into it for that 3 years either... other than things to keep it legal... lol it needs a break..

Wow, do you call the cops when kids are sledding in your front yard?

Let's be honest here,, I see db's hauling junk in an overloaded beater truck with crap begging to fly out all the time, that type of situation would be 80 ba'zillion times more dangerous.

This skid plate is just straight up bad to the ass. Is it practical? Not so much but it's totally BA, and my penis moves a little bit every time I see it. As far as dangerous,,, I'd be more concerned about an outta control city bus or a tard driving a moped on the side walk.

I'm all about the lowest possible stance, with performance still being the driving force behind a ride. But SixtyNineDime has taken "responsibility" for his ride, he has taken a ruler to measure the clearance to drive it!! Done and done..

how far did u guys raise the lca's, and what about the steering needs modified?

control%20arm%20pivots.JPG

My LCA's were raised 1 inch by Troy Ermish .... he only does 1/2" for street cars .... because you kinda need flares to use the 1 inch dropped steering arms

Troy sells 1/2" and 1 inch modified steering arms ,,, ,, but it "lowers" the outer tie rod end into the inner sidewall of the tire (so spacers and flares are needed)

There are SO many problems/expensive parts needed: adjustable LCA's,,, steering arms/spherical tie-rod ends,,, adjustable T/C rods need to be raised into the sway bar

So you need a different sway bar..... .. this DP racing bar becomes the lowest part of your front suspension..... (not really gonna work with your ride height):

build429.jpg

jhgg.jpg

jhggf.jpg

^^ you can see how the steering arms are bent down 1 inch ...... .. . it makes it really hard to run small wheels without flares..... 1/2" might be all you can get away with on your 510

..... and then the T/C rods wouldn't need to be raised as much ,,, ,,, and you might be able to fit a sway bar above the T/C rods