Vintage 510 Race Car Resurrection

Bob3

I bought this 1971 510, SCCA G Production (GP) car from a friend of mine.

Karls510.jpg

This car won the June Sprints at Road America twice and was second at the SCCA Runoffs once. It has a storied ten racing history. It was for sale for some time and there were no takers. The owner eventually parted it out and the only thing left was the caged tub. It sat for four years and now it's in my shop! This is what it looks like today.

Vintage510RaceCarProject007.jpg

Vintage510RaceCarProject023.jpg

Vintage510RaceCarProject020.jpg

Vintage510RaceCarProject004.jpg

Vintage510RaceCarProject031.jpg

Vintage510RaceCarProject026.jpg

Vintage510RaceCarProject035.jpg

Vintage510RaceCarProject034.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those box flares are still available, or at least they were a couple years ago when I got my set. They're laid up by a small shop called N&J fiberglass in Newport Beach CA. Wings West used to be their distributor, but maybe he'd sell direct if you can contact him. Dave Patton of Futofab also sells box flares.

Is that parts car a 68 2 door?? :blink:

Yes it is a 1968. It has a low VIN also. It kills me to cut it up, but . . . :huh: . . . it is pretty rough.

68partscar3.jpg

68partscar2.jpg

68partscar1.jpg

68partscar4.jpg

68partscar5.jpg

68partscar6.jpg

68partscar7.jpg

68partscar17.jpg

68partscar13.jpg

Those box flares are still available, or at least they were a couple years ago when I got my set. They're laid up by a small shop called N&J fiberglass in Newport Beach CA. Wings West used to be their distributor, but maybe he'd sell direct if you can contact him. Dave Patton of Futofab also sells box flares.

Thanks for the info. I plan to run this car in vintage and they don't allow box flares, they have to be "period correct" to 1979.

Yes it is a 1968. It has a low VIN also. It kills me to cut it up, but . . . :huh: . . . it is pretty rough.

Nice! Try to save the dash! Not sure what other 68 specifics are there, but man they are hard to come by!

Thanks for the info. I plan to run this car in vintage and they don't allow box flares, they have to be "period correct" to 1979.

Bob,

FutoFab has the complete BRE style flare package with spoiler.

Contact us and we'll see what we can do for you.

www.FutoFab.com

Dave@FutoFab.com

VTO Wheels will in the late Spring/early Summer of 2011 offer 13x7 Retro 4 "Libre" style wheels available. They will also have 13x7 Classc 8 if that is the route you want to go.

Here is a picture of our BRE package:

bre%20kit-2.%20cropped.jpg

This is FutoFab's BRE package installed on a customer's car with along our composite bumpers. We also make hoods and trunk lids that work with the original hinges/latches.

650x332-images-stories-husk%20progress%201000%20pix.jpg

Bob,

FutoFab has the complete BRE style flare package with spoiler.

Contact us and we'll see what we can do for you.

www.FutoFab.com

Dave@FutoFab.com

VTO Wheels will in the late Spring/early Summer of 2011 offer 13x7 Retro 4 "Libre" style wheels available. They will also have 13x7 Classc 8 if that is the route you want to go.

Here is a picture of our BRE package:

bre%20kit-2.%20cropped.jpg

This is FutoFab's BRE package installed on a customer's car with along our composite bumpers. We also make hoods and trunk lids that work with the original hinges/latches.

650x332-images-stories-husk%20progress%201000%20pix.jpg

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you! :D

You will hear from me soon! :thumbup:

NNNNNOOOOO Don't cut up the 68!!! Dude I will mail you a quarter I have sitting in my mom's barn. Now all you need is the other side. NNNNOOOO 68's are SO rare. 10 years and I've only been able to find 3!!!

Nice! Try to save the dash! Not sure what other 68 specifics are there, but man they are hard to come by!

Everything is a little different, all badges are metal, struts are shorter, diff is 3.7 instead of 3.9, dash is one year US only, hood hinges tail lights, grill, rear bumper, tail pan, no rear side markers, rear pop out windows had slightly different latches, strikers on doors where body color, no vin on dash, wipers, wipers sprayer jug bracket is bolt on not weld on, headliner has hooks at front and rear of the roof instead of just rear, all the wiring is one year only, seats didn't have head rest, front crossmember had higher pivot points where LCA's mount. A few of those things carried to 69 but not much. Don't do it Bob!