Vintage 510 Race Car Resurrection

Bob3

NNNNNOOOOO Don't cut up the 68!!! Dude I will mail you a quarter I have sitting in my mom's barn. Now all you need is the other side. NNNNOOOO 68's are SO rare. 10 years and I've only been able to find 3!!!

Okay - now I'm cracked . . . kind of. :unsure:

I've stripped down and cleaned out the '68 parts car and it is not too bad! There is rust in both rockers and a little behind the right rear wheel. That's about it! The trunk and engine bay have NO rust, there is not even any rust under the battery tray it's still painted!

Sooo . . . Icehouse wins . . . I'm not going to cut it up. :P

I think I'll start a new thread "Bob's 68 Rat" - like I need another project.

• Like 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob,

You really need to start a build page on the '68 and keep this thread going on the vintage racecar.

Sometimes these guys (myself included) get what I call "shinny thing syndrome" and get all :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: taking threads way off topic.

I guess they call it ADHD today and feed you Ritalin like its PEZ candy to try and cure it.

Anyway I have some ideas for you if you go Rat Rod on the '68 (PS, I have a bunch of 13x5.5/6/7 aluminum & steel wheels from my IT & GT4/5 days) :poke:

Looks like that 68 was one of the very few and rare rear engine transverse drive train Datsuns. :) I've brought home a couple with broken engines in the trunk also, makes me wonder why they decide to drop them in the trunk. Love your project, keep us informed.

Personally, I think you should leave it with the box flares. Yes, I'm partial, because I have one, but also because of 2 other reasons: 1) The history of this car is of being raced with box flares, changing will kinda ruin the history. 2) replacing those rear quarters is going to be a PITA. Just my opinion. Isn't there a class where you can run the flares? There's so much more suspension, wheel, brake choices you have with the boxes. Granted, with racing rules, some of this will be irrelevant anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

did you cut out the box flares? or did you get it pre cut?

That is how I got it. The only thing I've done to the race car is clean it and stick it in storage. That project is a matter of gathering parts and spending money then assembly. It will be a slow process.