Hey guys im a 16 year old and just got a datsun 510 first car

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First we want you to be around for a long time. It's all too easy to go off improving the power with speed equipment and even motor swaps but in reality this car has old technology brakes and suspension and on top of that much of it is 40 years old and well used. It's all too easy to go faster than you can easily safely stop in. There is no worse feeling than knowing too late that you are not going to make it. May I suggest you get to know your new car and drive it to see what it will and won't do. Don't find out what it won't do by accident. :lol: Start with a plan to make it safer for you to drive. Suspension and brake upgrades should be first so that an accident can be prevented by stopping faster or driving around to avoid it in the first place. Tires, for sure. Rims are more for dress up but some are wider and lighter and will clear a larger disc brake caliper. Shocks for good suspension 'feel' and handling. Lowering for better stability/handling. Brake upgrade most definitely with larger rotors and calipers. There is a wealth of well documented parts swapping here on ratsun for your 2dr. Many parts are often for sale and helpful tips too.

With this you will now have a machine worthy of some serious horse power.

• Like 2

First we want you to be around for a long time. It's all too easy to go off improving the power with speed equipment and even motor swaps but in reality this car has old technology brakes and suspension and on top of that much of it is 40 years old and well used. It's all too easy to go faster than you can easily safely stop in. There is no worse feeling than knowing too late that you are not going to make it. May I suggest you get to know your new car and drive it to see what it will and won't do. Don't find out what it won't do by accident. :lol: Start with a plan to make it safer for you to drive. Suspension and brake upgrades should be first so that an accident can be prevented by stopping faster or driving around to avoid it in the first place. Tires, for sure. Rims are more for dress up but some are wider and lighter and will clear a larger disc brake caliper. Shocks for good suspension 'feel' and handling. Lowering for better stability/handling. Brake upgrade most definitely with larger rotors and calipers. There is a wealth of well documented parts swapping here on ratsun for your 2dr. Many parts are often for sale and helpful tips too.

wow Thanks(: and yeah i wont be doing motor work for a while i really want to make it for my local track day and my every day driver, i live in California so my smog laws are layd back for my year. I want to slamit and i dont know what kind of brakes/suspension i should put on it tbh... All of it is completely stock i would like wider rims but i dont kno witch to put on. I would love to save as much weight as possible.

What datzenmike said,drive it carefully and try to remember that your driving a car a lot of people would love to have.Respect it and take care of it.My first car was a '71 510 i was 16,back then it was just a cheap used car now im driving my fifth 510 and will never get rid of it.Good luck.

Seriously solid advice! +rep (not like you need it though mike ;)

All I'll add is a L motor is great to drive around on for a long time, hard to break, good mileage, easy to learn on, & enough power so its still fun :)

What datzenmike said,drive it carefully and try to remember that your driving a car a lot of people would love to have.Respect it and take care of it.My first car was a '71 510 i was 16,back then it was just a cheap used car now im driving my fifth 510 and will never get rid of it.Good luck.

yeah i would love to have this car forever and plan on keeping it for ever it has a good home away from rust(:

Seriously solid advice! +rep (not like you need it though mike ;)

All I'll add is a L motor is great to drive around on for a long time, hard to break, good mileage, easy to learn on, & enough power so its still fun :)

yeah i just went on his profile and coming from him must be huge! And i love the L16 motor plan on keeping it in there and if it breaks replace it with the same motor.

Naww just rebuild it if it breaks. :D

I also bought my 510 when I was 16, Its been a year now and it still isn't running. Shit gets expensive when you build for track, thats all I gotta say.

And don't be like the average idiot, take it slow and cruise along like a grandma until you know your car. :)

• Like 2

Naww just rebuild it if it breaks. :D

I also bought my 510 when I was 16, Its been a year now and it still isn't running. Shit gets expensive when you build for track, thats all I gotta say.

And don't be like the average idiot, take it slow and cruise along like a grandma until you know your car. :)

Yeah man most deff ima drive it like a grandma for a while lol. Money isn't the problem for the car its just knowing what parts to buy for the car. Im a newb when it comes to buying parts

IMO the best cars have the best plans from the beginning. Get a sheet of paper surf the net and see what kinda car you want to build. Brakes dictate the size and offset of wheel you can run, stopping is important and so is fender to tire clearance so do the research so you don't end up doing everything twice. Getting the car driving with some creature comforts this way it will keep you interested in the project, don't start thinking about an engine swap until EVERYTHING else is where you want it. A motor swap can go very quick (IMO) if it's the only task on the list. I see way to many people give up because not only do they have to get X motor installed and running but they have to fix rust, install interior, fix all the electrical problems, fix the braking system ect. I'm glad to see you asking questions before it's to late.

• Like 1

IMO the best cars have the best plans from the beginning. Get a sheet of paper surf the net and see what kinda car you want to build. Brakes dictate the size and offset of wheel you can run, stopping is important and so is fender to tire clearance so do the research so you don't end up doing everything twice. Getting the car driving with some creature comforts this way it will keep you interested in the project, don't start thinking about an engine swap until EVERYTHING else is where you want it. A motor swap can go very quick (IMO) if it's the only task on the list. I see way to many people give up because not only do they have to get X motor installed and running but they have to fix rust, install interior, fix all the electrical problems, fix the braking system ect. I'm glad to see you asking questions before it's to late.

Im not doing a motor swap. I really want to build a day to day driver but still have fun at the track. I need help finding a good break/suspension setup then i will worry about the wheel/tires. There is no rust and i am gutting the interior/bumpers.

Def make a plan. And do some research. I got my 510 so I could get into learning about working on cars.

I don't mean to come across rude or like a dick but the amount of times you've said you don't know what to put-on the car you could have searches the Internet of others project builds. The 510 is awesome in that TONS of other Nissan goodies will bolt right up. You prob won't be "replacing" your 510 parts you'll be "upgrading". A hint: 510 brakes for ZX, ER alternator for IR, datsun R160 diff for Subi LSD, radiator, wiper motor, CVs, so on and so on. Spend hours reading online. We are way more fortunate than some of theses guys cause we don't have to wait 3months for dime info from DQ.

• Like 1

Im not doing a motor swap. I really want to build a day to day driver but still have fun at the track. I need help finding a good break/suspension setup then i will worry about the wheel/tires. There is no rust and i am gutting the interior/bumpers.

Sounds like you have a plan started :)

Like stated above 280zx brakes are a common upgrade. There are other routes like S12 V6 but they aren't as well documented. The subi LSD is a good choice just make sure it's not a VLSD that requires stub axle modification. Suspension is kinda a personal preference. Troy Ermish Racing has everything you could ever want.

I would consider keeping the interior, I've worked on ton's of 510's and the interior is not heavy and the amount of sound deadening it adds is well worth it! I like a car that doesn't drive me insane after 20 minutes on the freeway. It's your car but drive it on the freeway before pulling it and remind yourself it will be 10x louder with no interior.

• Like 2

Def make a plan. And do some research. I got my 510 so I could get into learning about working on cars.

I don't mean to come across rude or like a dick but the amount of times you've said you don't know what to put-on the car you could have searches the Internet of others project builds. The 510 is awesome in that TONS of other Nissan goodies will bolt right up. You prob won't be "replacing" your 510 parts you'll be "upgrading". A hint: 510 brakes for ZX, ER alternator for IR, datsun R160 diff for Subi LSD, radiator, wiper motor, CVs, so on and so on. Spend hours reading online. We are way more fortunate than some of theses guys cause we don't have to wait 3months for dime info from DQ.

Yeah man ur not being a dick at all lol. Ive looked over other nissan builds and i like them but i want my kinda unique build but finding parts that will upgrade my other parts that are unique is gunna be a challenge.

Sounds like you have a plan started :)

Like stated above 280zx brakes are a common upgrade. There are other routes like S12 V6 but they aren't as well documented. The subi LSD is a good choice just make sure it's not a VLSD that requires stub axle modification. Suspension is kinda a personal preference. Troy Ermish Racing has everything you could ever want.

I would consider keeping the interior, I've worked on ton's of 510's and the interior is not heavy and the amount of sound deadening it adds is well worth it! I like a car that doesn't drive me insane after 20 minutes on the freeway. It's your car but drive it on the freeway before pulling it and remind yourself it will be 10x louder with no interior.

Thanks man the suspension on that website sounds amazing! and my friend has a 280zx parts car that i can get his brakes off! and keeping the interior actualy might be best haha.