Hey guys im a 16 year old and just got a datsun 510 first car

When you can drive her daily is when she's ready for serious modding.

This man speaks the truth! Man I wish I had started in the hobby when I was you age. Plus if I had (almost 20 years ago), the Datsuns I'd find would have a lot less rust then they do today!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fixed it ;)

Seriously though, don't get too ahead of yourself kiddo. It's nice to have plans, but tackle one problem at a time. Too many tasks at once and you'll find yourself in over your head just like me. :( Start with the essentials! When you can drive her daily is when she's ready for serious modding.

Words of wisdom right thur! yeah i kno man thats what its at right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing would help on your planning, go to any Datto get together you can find and then go to Canby. All the reading and pics you can find can help, but having the real deal in front of you and being able to talk to the owner of the car can help in so many more levels. I thought I knew what I was going to do to my truck, at least till I went to Canby, now I have more options and ideas and found a way to make my truck even more of a towing monster with no change to the motor! Fellow Datto owners are usually pretty cool and helpful when it comes to showing how to make you ideas happen. :D

30 years ago my first car was a 510 and this day I'm still sick with the dime fever. IMO you couldn't ask for a better first. Kid, If there's one thing I can pass on it's this, Short cuts are expensive. Take your time and do it right the first time. God speed Jr.

• 1 month later...

Hey man welcome to the datsun life... once u get in u either love it or u hate it haha just to be honest...all of us on here obviously love it... i got mine when i was 18 and im 21 now and as everyone before have said... start with brakes and suspension... and dont forget to start replacing the rubbers...Bushings, weather strippings etc etc... also u can get all brand new greasable steering components at your local auto parts for under 180$... electronic ignition... msd blaster 2 coil... new fuse block and such... i personally have the kyb's with eibach coilover setup and BRE race springs in rear and love the ride quality as well as the handling... later on down the road of ir looking for a bit more power u can always get urself an l20b cam and a nice set of carbs just my opinion

usaully a newbie wont make it a year before they loose interest or find they cant really work on simple but high maint old cars.

Lol

But Me, Tommy34, And Dats77sun Still Haven't Given Up :lol:

haha, i am still here, and plan to be for a long time :D

X2 VERY Long Time :cool:

• 5 weeks later...

i just read this entire peice and all the advice is super great i dont need to post anuthing asking what i should do now just go back and read this lol

like datsun 510 project i just got my second dime its a 72 2 door with a frsh l20b and the dog leg trans man i have wanted one of these since i was 12 and saw a 510 tearing up the track now am 20 and after three 240sx 2 with sr20s a g20 and a nice hardbody (rip) i finally got my hands on one i love it i love everything about it and i will never give it up you guys are the coolest crowd man i could ever ask for and all the help on this site is amazing especially the advice from wise datsun guys thanks for all your help and i now i know where to start (suspension and brakes) oh and i ll use the search button i know that bothers some of you lol

so far i have an sr sitting in the shed but thats gonna be sold i am gonna stick with the l20b that thing is sick

suspension i have a set of teins from an s13 that i read you can make work with some moddification as far as rears i am not sure lol

brakes i have a set of z32 and i recently baught off some dude a set of wilwood and a set of jfz brakes both sets 4 piston pretty sweet for 60 bucks lol

and other than that i am still trying to make thing fit lol one of those brakes is up for grabs who wants them?

thanks guys for all your help

my advice: don't change a thing. Put the wheels you like on it and enjoy driving it. If you change a lot of stuff you will be driving it less.

I'm partial to slotted mags

img_3305.jpg

but you might want something more modern may I suggest SSR Mark II like on my Datsun pickup

ssr%20mkII.jpg

Or if you want to make everyone happy get Panalites. Cheaper than SSR but not by much.

DSCF0016.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I could even find a 510 period..... don't even care if its toast, as long as it was capable of rolling and not collapsing to the ground. I rather drive a toasted datsun over most cars.

My first car/truck was a 1973 Datsun 620, still have it. I bought it when I was 14 for $50 to use as a field beater. Now I wish I would have never done that, I didn't know what I had. It was nearly spotless when I bought it. I'll be 26 shortly, just recently brought the truck back to life. I own several Datsun pickups. I buy everything I can find and afford at the same time. At least you are in an area where it seems like there is alot more Datsun around. In the last 6 years, I haven't seen another Datsun pickup locally anywhere.