Konans new lease on life!

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you get him a wheelchair?

• yes
    • no
    • other, make a comment

:thumbup: UPDATE: WITH ALL THE DONATIONS FROM YOU GUYS, HIS CHAIR IS PAID FOR!!! ANY OTHER DONATIONS, IF ANY, WILL GO TOWARD SQUEAKY BALLS AND TREATS, OR RETURNED IF REQUESTED. THANK YOU ALL!! :thumbup:

I would personally like to thank the Ratsun Krew for making the chair happen thru your donations, and in less that 24 hours! :blink:

Kim, Calley, Dave, David, Kyle, Robert, Scott, James, Doug, George, Matthew, Justin. :D

And Stephen for the squeaky ball donation! :cool:

You guys gave me the chance to make Konan's life better. :wub: I would say he would reward you with some hotdogs...but he would eat them, go figure, weak moral fortitude when it comes to food. :o

konan2.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd make him a doggie wheelchair. Can't be too hard. In fact, cut off the bottom of a shopping cart, shorten, etc. Make a strap attachment. Or maybe a garden cart, might be a little easier and less heavy. It depends on quality of life. At 12 that's a hard decision. Putting down your best bud really sucks. I've had to do it twice, and I still cry to think about it. As long as his quality of life is okay, I can't see any harm in extending his days a bit.

:( ,,,, hard decision ,,, after taking my first dog down to the vet to get put down ( spine problems , arthritis , going blind ) ,,, not an easy thing to do

I say for now sleep on it ,,, thought about putting up an ad on craigslist ? ( charity's ) can an organization help ya out ?

His front half still works fine but he is losing feeling in the back legs. He doesnt act like there is any pain, he tries to play with Emma and he doesnt hesitate to let me know if he is hurt. He still has an appitite of a horse and he still retains bowel and blader control. He just has dificultly walking due to nerve issues in his left rear leg. I use my bathrobe strap around his waist to assist him, I dont real have to carry so much as just helping him keep his balance, and he about drags me then. A wheelchair will cost me about $300 - $500, anybody need some PC OS reload/upgrades or stereo stuff? I have an earthquake nova 600 dual mono home amp, pc upgrades, all legal copys of windows OS's and assorted other items.

konan2.jpg

Hey there, I also vote for getting him into a chair. My wides parents have a pug that has a twisted spine an the vet said he wouldn't make it past 6 month old. He is now almost 3! Just saying never give up on a dogs spirit and willingness to stay with their master. Especially if you don't think he is suffering or anything.

Anyways, that beig said, they bought their chair for their dog from a guy online that makes them specifically for each dogs build and disability type. If you would like I cn ask them for his contact info. From what I've heard he is a stand up guy and if anything breaks on the chair he will replace or fix free of charge.

Guest DatsuNoob

why dont we take a pool? If everyone kicked in $10 or so, it would help get Konan a wheelchair. I'd certainly be willing to help out. Dont want you to have to put him down, I know how much he means to you. Anya John, not a good way to begin your membership here, probably the worst 1st post ever :no: Keep your hateful negative comments to yourself or GTFO :fu:

• Like 1

Good luck with this. I'll vote to keep your friend around as long as he is happy. Once he can not control body functions or appears to be in pain, I'd have to let him go. The vet cost of an elderly pet can really mount up, don't let the vet suck you into spending more than you can afford.

have a crack at one yourself i reckon, or find some crafty ratsuners who'd help you out with it instead. if you were local id make you one no probs

a couple old bicycle wheels, a bit of round hollow section, a welder, some elastic and some foam padding, maybe a little stitchwork and you'd be away i reckon. get all the innovative ideas from the expensive ones you'd just buy and copy them for yours :D

Guest DatsuNoob

If you decided to go that route, I'd be happy to help out with any welding/fab stuff needed. I know we could build one for less than what they're asking. Maybe focus any donated funds to materials? I've got a conduit bender, doenst bend super fancy, but it would get the job done. Totally up to you however you wanna go about it, but I'd love to help with making him more comfortable. You've helped me out plenty, I'd like to return the favor. Let me know, and get us a Paypal address wouldja already? :D

if you could build him a wheel chair and he would be ok then i would do it, i wouldnt go spending alot of money though, where i come from when the dogs get like that we do the hardest thing of all, we put them down, .45 acp to the back of the head is quick and painless. i had a dog one time that got shot because she looked like a fox, it blew her front left leg completely to shit, we removed it the rest of the way and then she lived for about 10 years as a tripod.

The question you need to be concerned with is what is causing the loss of feeling in the back legs. do you want him to keep living and keep experiencing more loss on up through the rest of his body, you may think your helping him by getting him a wheelchair but in all honesty you may be causing him to sufffer more, dogs live and die thats the reality of it, its hard to lose a good friend beleive me, but if your really his friend you wont let him suffer.

A bullet is to painfull for me!!! Don't know what the dog would feel but I know how I would . I would rather send him/her off to sleep with favorite toy and blanket. But this is way too soon for that!!! It comes down to quality of life for your animal. Do what you feel is best for him.

Had a dog back in the day that had back problems. We got him a wheelchair and he used it until he figure out how to use both rear legs as a peg leg :lol:.

You can get them pretty cheap used, I'll throw down on it as well. :)

:crying: you guys are greatest disfunctional adopted family a guy, and a dog could ever ask for. :crying:

I have been working on a chair but the wire feed only works on light steel and the setup is still way too heavy. It works but it lacks fine adjustments and he has to work a lil to hard to move it. I dont have the alum. setup, and I was looking at this other setup that is fully adjustible and comes with a warrantee and everything that is needed. I have inquired on a few of the dog wheel chair sites and am waiting for a response. As for my paypal, elmerfudpuckered@msn.com and as for Konan, Lets hope he is rollin some 12 in spokes at the next meet!